Print Thread
New Pro Tour has Field Set #13437710 02/13/20 01:03 AM
B
Big O Florida Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
It looks like that new pro tour that was announced a while back has started a slow role out on names of the anglers who intend to fish that circuit starting in 2021. See video starting at 27:20. By the sounds of it they had enough interest to fill the field 2x over for the 125 needed. I suspect there may be a few who want to bail on MLF at end of this season have made arrangements, as it’s been promised they won’t hold events that conflict with any Bassmaster Opens so guys can try and qualify for the classic and elite tour. I recall in earlier interview he stated they have heard from several current pros but they didn’t want to not be disclosed just yet. That sounds to be like MLF’r, as I don’t think BASS would care one way or the other.

Re: New Pro Tour has Field Set [Re: Big O Florida] #13437778 02/13/20 01:52 AM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Just a double a circuit

Re: New Pro Tour has Field Set [Re: Dubee] #13437867 02/13/20 02:54 AM
B
Big O Florida Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Dubee
Just a double a circuit

You missed a scheduled dose of meds?

What don’t you get? If it has pro in the name of the tour, that makes it a pro tour, right?

Like FLW (Tackle Warehouse) Pro Tour and Bass Pro Tour... are those also double A?

Oh wait, maybe those are... Because truth is, most people only recognize one fishing tour being for the pro’s... there use to be 2, but one failed due to it being broke and being sold off to a niche reality TV marketing group ... so the story goes.

Re: New Pro Tour has Field Set [Re: Big O Florida] #13437910 02/13/20 03:41 AM
TTx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
5k in entry fees for a 50k winner payout? Sounds like highway robbery when you can fish the opens for 1,800 and get the same 50k if you win. Good luck finding sponsors that have enough marketing budget left over.

First 10 were already announced, and I’d say that field is far from stacked...more sticks in the local DFW bass clubs.

Re: New Pro Tour has Field Set [Re: TTx] #13437977 02/13/20 05:04 AM
B
Big O Florida Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by trt08
5k in entry fees for a 50k winner payout? Sounds like highway robbery when you can fish the opens for 1,800 and get the same 50k if you win. Good luck finding sponsors that have enough marketing budget left over.

First 10 were already announced, and I’d say that field is far from stacked...more sticks in the local DFW bass clubs.

I think the draw and selling point is it pays back entry fees + expenses ($9k) down to 40th place with a no entry fee championship. I think it’s too early to tell if the field is quality or not, they’ve only announced 10 of the anglers and supposedly will do so each month for rest of year. At minimum, it’s given anglers another option since there is no more (real) FLW; and if they got 300 resumes for a field of 125, that indicates there is plenty of interest. This also gives sponsors an opportunity put their money where the anglers have the most confidence and trust. BASS only has limited space, the other isn’t so trustworthy.... this is a good third option.

Re: New Pro Tour has Field Set [Re: Big O Florida] #13438051 02/13/20 12:12 PM
TTx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Big O Florida
Originally Posted by trt08

I think the draw and selling point is it pays back entry fees + expenses ($9k) down to 40th place with a no entry fee championship. I think it’s too early to tell if the field is quality or not, they’ve only announced 10 of the anglers and supposedly will do so each month for rest of year. At minimum, it’s given anglers another option since there is no more (real) FLW; and if they got 300 resumes for a field of 125, that indicates there is plenty of interest. This also gives sponsors an opportunity put their money where the anglers have the most confidence and trust. BASS only has limited space, the other isn’t so trustworthy.... this is a good third option.

I am pessimistic at best about it succeeding - I would love for it to succeed. The unfortunate reality for leagues like this, as evidenced by the PAA, is that there is a limited market. They are 12 months from their projected launch, and haven’t even garnered 4K in a social media following. I don’t know the ownership group at all, but from what I’ve seen/read they seem to be standup people.

Finding 125 anglers interested, in my opinion, is not that grand of an accomplishment. If they are able to find the sponsorship dollars to make the vision happen - that’s fantastic. But no title sponsor to date, their marketing team and branding is mediocre at best, and while the opens have limited space - that’s kind of the point. MLB has limited space, NFL has limited space. There are millions of people with the dream of becoming a pro, and there’s just as many with the money to pony up just to call themselves a pro - queue Jason ChristY (emphasis on Y). It’s high stakes gambling, and when the ROI of this trail is 1700% less than an alternative that has the exposure, and ability to fish the classic/elites...I have a hard time seeing it succeed - especially long term.

With that, I will watch it. I will give it a chance, and I’ll never judge another person for pursuing their dreams, or doing something that they believe is best for their family, regardless of circuit.

Last edited by trt08; 02/13/20 12:13 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide