Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: fouzman] #13436423 02/12/20 04:28 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
a cast net ban is not going to save lives...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: SuperSpookJr] #13436450 02/12/20 05:14 AM
L
Lmgreeri Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Originally Posted by SuperSpookJr
Cast netting on Fayette needs to be banned, period. Five dudes at night in a tiny boat with no PFD's? Fayette is dangerous lake under ordinary circumstances, but at night in the wind, overloaded with weight? Damn near suicidal. Ban cast netting and save lives.

Ban it for everyone who can do it safely and responsibly just because of a few Darwin Award winners?? hmmm Are the liberals taking over in Texas now to!??? bang

Last edited by Lmgreeri; 02/12/20 05:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: Lmgreeri] #13436486 02/12/20 07:01 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Lmgreeri
Cast netting on Fayette needs to be banned, period. Five dudes at night in a tiny boat with no PFD's? Fayette is dangerous lake under ordinary circumstances, but at night in the wind, overloaded with weight? Damn near suicidal. Ban cast netting and save lives.

Ban it for everyone who can do it safely and responsibly just because of a few Darwin Award winners?? hmmm Are the liberals taking over in Texas now to!??? bang

The rub is the fact these guys are essentially running a commercial fishing operation on a public lake. It’s legal, but a lot of folks question why. Now people have died, so it further begs the question as to whether the loose regulations around cast netting are encouraging dangerous behavior.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: Jpurdue] #13436490 02/12/20 07:23 AM
sdavis24 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jpurdue

The rub is the fact these guys are essentially running a commercial fishing operation on a public lake. It’s legal, but a lot of folks question why. Now people have died, so it further begs the question as to whether the loose regulations around cast netting are encouraging dangerous behavior.
NO, just No. Regulations don’t address the root of the problem. It’s sad, it’s unfortunate, but 100% preventable. Infringing on one persons freedom because of another’s bad choices is absolutely asinine.

Last edited by sdavis24; 02/12/20 07:24 AM.
Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: fouzman] #13436492 02/12/20 07:43 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
“Encouraging dangerous behavior”? I have to to disagree with you on this. After 32 years in the fire service I have made my career responding to incidences that were largely caused by people’s bad judgement. As Douglas J states above ^^^^ people simply “made bad choices”. That being said I am proud to be in a country where all the choices are not made for me by big brother. That’s a freedom that has to be defended at the state and national level because it’s waining. This was an accident caused by bad judgement pure and simple. Not the fault of anyone except the ones who paid the price of the bad judgement. Certainly not lack of more big government, If it does not stand as a reminder to be safe, wether wear your life vest, don’t overload your boat, don’t go out when it’s to rough for your craft.....whatever, than NOTHING good comes from this lethal mistake. As far as the racial comments: probably need to be in another mans shoes before judging. If I was not blessed with the economics I’ve been blessed with I might be netting tilapia for substance also. Amazing how people can turn a topic into their agenda.

Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: sdavis24] #13436495 02/12/20 07:47 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by sdavis24

NO, just No. Regulations don’t address the root of the problem. It’s sad, it’s unfortunate, but 100% preventable. Infringing on one persons freedom because of another’s bad choices is absolutely asinine.

That’s the root of basically every law we have. Of which I agree we have too many. I’m not advocating a change because these guys didn’t have life jackets on, I’m advocating a change because they are commercially exploiting a public resource. It’s a philosophical opinion independent of this accident. Not really appropriate discussion for this thread I suppose.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: fouzman] #13436501 02/12/20 08:32 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
But the public resource they are exploiting is an invasive species isn't it? I thought that Tilapia were illegal to release back into a lake in Texas if caught?

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: ToasterWEyes] #13436503 02/12/20 09:23 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by ToasterWEyes
But the public resource they are exploiting is an invasive species isn't it? I thought that Tilapia were illegal to release back into a lake in Texas if caught?

The issue is they are legally taking the fish and then illegally selling the Tilapia for a profit. At least I assume they are. I’m not sure what else they could do with the hundreds of pounds they catch every week. (Maybe I’m wrong on that). The other issue is by catch, (nothing gets thrown back) and destruction of spawning habitat as they work the shoreline. I’d be curious to have biologist or lake manager weigh-in on this in terms of whether it’s a net benefit or not to the lake.

All that said, it’s not my intent to change the topic of discussion from the tragedy.

I’d also point out that even with life jackets that lake is big enough and parts of it are cool enough to easily kill a person before they could get to shore. Particularly at night with no way to get help. I think a kid died out there sometime back while attempting to swim to shore from a broken down boat. He was wearing a life jacket.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: fouzman] #13436504 02/12/20 09:23 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Absolutely true.They are an invasive species. When you go through the entrance gate at Squaw Creek you are handed a little lake map with rules and regulations for the lake. One of the rules by TPWD is that you CAN NOT return any Tilapia into the lake with out killing them first. Somervell County FD has had to deal with boats that were overloaded with tilapia that capsized In rough water on Squaw. Those netters made bad judgements also but they certainly were not “exploiting a resource”. Wont happen but TPWD wants the tilapia gone. We could save a lot more lives by outlawing boating altogether. Or WAY more lives by outlawing driving. There was a coast guard label with a recommendation for maximum persons/weight on that boat. That’s enough government intervention. Sad incident and the ones who made the bad judgement suffered. Nothing more.

Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: fouzman] #13436507 02/12/20 09:57 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Looking through the regulations it’s at least possible they are doing it legally. You can get a non-game fish commercial license that covers tilapia. As long as they are immediately removing the head or guts of the fish (which they are not) and they had the correct licenses they could catch, transport, and legally sell the fish.

Anyway, I’m definitely not looking for new laws. I do think what they do causes problems to the fishery though, but I freely admit that’s an opinion and I could be wrong.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: fouzman] #13436528 02/12/20 12:06 PM
G
gut hooked Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
The wardens have been working Fayette regularly targeting this type of set up. I have seen it too many times. The reason it was at night likely had a lit to do with avoiding game wardens. These persons were there for one reason, to net tilapia. Laws would not have stopped them. It is a tragedy, but anyone who has spent any time on Fayette knows it was going to happen soo nr or later

Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: fouzman] #13436828 02/12/20 03:27 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It’s a philosophical opinion independent of this accident. Not really appropriate discussion for this thread I suppose.

Anyway, I’m definitely not looking for new laws. I do think what they do causes problems to the fishery though, but I freely admit that’s an opinion and I could be wrong.

All that said, it’s not my intent to change the topic of discussion from the tragedy.

man, a simple RIP would have been better...

Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: fouzman] #13436923 02/12/20 04:10 PM
bassnman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
RIP + no more laws needed.

Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: ColoradoAg] #13438777 02/13/20 10:26 PM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted by ColoradoAg
Originally Posted by txmasterpo
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
That is so sad. Why would they risk 5 people in a 14ft boat, and nighttime at that?

the unpopular and truthful answer is they were careless and made a bad choice

probably be easy to guess at some more details the snowflakes would not like to talk about too

If you want to make your more than likely racist comment no one is stopping you, Boomer.

A search team at Fayette Lake on Monday found the bodies of two men who remained missing after a boat accident Saturday night. That brings the official death toll from the accident to three men.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department identified the deceased as Fredy Donaldo Figeroa Videz, 50, of Buda; Jerson Gregorio Figeroa, 42, of Austin; and Antony Santos Reyes, 50, of Austin.

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Fayette County Lake Drownings [Re: fouzman] #13438852 02/13/20 11:50 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I thought the new kill switch law was supposed to prevent accidents like this

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index