Print Thread
Best Fishing Spots in Port A and Padre Island #13433914 02/10/20 04:08 PM
S
Stanley Orchard Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
I put together a list of my favorite fishing spots in the area (for those without a boat) and would love your insight and/or feedback. Are these places that you agree with or did I totally miss some really great spots?

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/nse2gJz3TXE [/video]

Stanley Orchard
Texas Family Fishing Vlog-eneur!
YouTube.com/stanleyorchard
Insta/Twitter: @OrchardStanley
Re: Best Fishing Spots in Port A and Padre Island [Re: Stanley Orchard] #13434032 02/10/20 05:30 PM
JJ4MEL Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Great video and hard to argue with any of those spots. I did a similar list of my top 5 night fishing spots back when I lived down there. The ferry landing is a spot many people don't realize holds a lot of BIG fish.

Re: Best Fishing Spots in Port A and Padre Island [Re: JJ4MEL] #13434073 02/10/20 06:05 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Ooooh… Ok I'm afraid I did not know you had a channel and would enjoy watching that video. How can I find it?

Stanley Orchard
Re: Best Fishing Spots in Port A and Padre Island [Re: Stanley Orchard] #13434295 02/10/20 08:25 PM
JJ4MEL Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Stanley Orchard
Ooooh… Ok I'm afraid I did not know you had a channel and would enjoy watching that video. How can I find it?

Oh no, back when I was down there was waaaaaay before youtube. I used to post some of my favorite fishing piers and bank fishing locations on different websites. Always enjoying your videos. Great stuff!!

Re: Best Fishing Spots in Port A and Padre Island [Re: JJ4MEL] #13434299 02/10/20 08:28 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Originally Posted by Stanley Orchard

Oh no, back when I was down there was waaaaaay before youtube. I used to post some of my favorite fishing piers and bank fishing locations on different websites. Always enjoying your videos. Great stuff!!

Man I would encourage you to dig that old footage up and report to YouTube! I know that if I had access to a video of top night fishing spots I would definitely be inclined to watch that!

Stanley Orchard
Re: Best Fishing Spots in Port A and Padre Island [Re: Stanley Orchard] #13435543 02/11/20 05:36 PM
JJ4MEL Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I could share some stories of some amazing fishing trips. I always fished nights during the week. Hit piers late at night that were not occupied or monitored so I could avoid paying fees. Always leaving just as the sun came up. Always came home with limits of specks and other varieties of fish.

1) Ferry landing: was a great spot to cast as close as you could to the lights with a glowing shrimp tail. Lots of specks and the occasional keeper red.
2) The original Aggie pier: When the current was moving, trout and reds would just swim all through that pier. Several times I caught my limit on reds because the dolphins would round up schools of reds in to the cove next to the pier and the reds wouldn't leave.
3) Copano Bay Pier, the old bridge: This place was a dream for a young kids just trying to catch as many trout as he could. This is where I really "learned the ropes" of pier fishing. My Dad would drop me off here as a kid and let me fish all night. Later on I would make the hike to the end of the pier and fish the deeper water. This is where I caught my first 5ft shark in the bay.
4) Fulton Pier: Arrive after 10pm and I could get in for free. Another pier my Dad would drop me off at as a kid and I would fish all night. This was the first time I had caught sheephead. Actually caught a limit. I fished this pier for many years, but stopped going as the bar that was located in front of it brought out a few rowdies late at night.
5) There was once a small jetty in Fulton I believe was in front of an old lighthouse. I couldn't find it on a map, but I would fish this jetty as a kid all night long. This was the first time I caught a speck and the first time I learned not to "lip" a speck like a bass. This is where I caught my first flounder too. One night I was using a popping cork and had a small sand trout yank it under, I set the hook so hard the cork and fish went flying behind me in to the water. As I was getting the line untangled, the drag on my reel just starts screaming. Hooked up with a 28" red.
6) Bob Hall Pier: I learned from some legends that fished that pier all through the night and would only fish during the week. Countless memories of some big fish off that pier. My biggest speck was caught off that pier at 30".
7) Horace Caldwell Pier: Best fishing of my younger years came off this pier and one of the worst times to ever fish this pier. Tropical depression was coming in to Port A. I went to Snoopys and caught a bucket full of finger mullet in the parking lot in knee deep water. Loaded up my truck and drove out to the beach. The closes I could get was the end of the beach access Rd. I loaded up my gear and waded through water to the pier. Water was as high as my hips until I got on the concrete landing of the pier. I went all the way to the end and casted out the finger mullett on a wire leader with no weight. It helped that the wind was behind me. Every cast yielded a fish. If the bait was alive, I caught a shark. Usually in the 3ft range. If the bait was dead, I caught a Gafftop. This went on every cast. I was by myself and kept watching to see if the water was getting higher on the bank. Then the unexpected happened. The waves were getting higher and hitting the bottom of the pier. in some areas, the water would hit so hard it would pop up one of the square concrete blocks on the walkway and then it would fall through. That is when I decided it was time to load up and head out. I had to leave my wagon on the pier and pack what I could on my back as the walkway became a game of hopscotch on the way back with all the walkway blocks missing. When I got back to the beach, I had to wade in almost chest deep water till I got back to the truck. That was scary considering all the sharks I just caught.
8) PINS: Soooo many stories of BIG fish and limits from this area. This is also where I met Billy Sandifer and learned everything I needed to learn about fishing PINS in the hour I spent with him. One of the most amazing fishermen, story tellers and environmentalist I had ever met. PINS also provided some of the most amazing scenery. Huge deer and curious coyotes. One time in the mid 90's I watched a late night drug drop occur. Small plane flying low dropped some cargo in to the water and 2 jeeps waiting to pick it up. They took off over the dunes and dumped it in to 2 boats. When I mentioned it to the park ranger he said it happens a lot, but they can't catch them. Now granted this was back when PINS was out of all cell range and CB barely worked out there.

I could literally go on and on. I spent every week down there as soon as I got my drivers license. Memories I share now with my kids when I talk about fishing and adventures.

Re: Best Fishing Spots in Port A and Padre Island [Re: Stanley Orchard] #13438217 02/13/20 02:52 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Man @JJ4MEL you and I had very similar childhoods. I never spent much time in the Fulton or Copano Bay areas; I'm a beach rat. To be honest I'm a Fish Pass Jetty rat, at least I was growing up. I always enjoyed going offshore and fishing for dorado, kingfish etc as a kid but fishing off the beach was so boring to me back then. I was a surfer and hated the long, boring wait for a fish to bite. My dad would fish and I would paddle out his baits for him, and have fond memories of him pulling up big sharks on a bait that I had swam out past the third bar. Had a very similar terrifying experience at Caldwell... went to surf one of the tropical storms. Had to park back by the UT complex and walk to the pier, everything was flooded. Jumped the fence so I could jump off the pier. Waves were hitting the bottom and just like you it would pop the cement blocks up when they hit. It was terrifying to stand at the end of the pier and watch those massive waves hit the pier. I couldn't do it. I don't mind the waves when I am out in them, but hearing/feeling them crash into the cement was bone-rattling.

My dad and I (and my brothers) all have so many stories like that growing up, I don't want to lose them. On holidays when we get together we inevitably start telling old fishing stories and I am forcing myself to get into the habit of recording them. I use these recordings for a podcast that I recently started, but the ulterior motive is to collect all these fishing stories and have them saved online so that I can always revisit them. Or so that my daughter can when she is older.

Hey sir as usual it is always a pleasure to chat with you here. I very much appreciate you and the rest of the wonderful community here on TFF. I thank you all for letting me be a part of what you guys do here.

Stanley Orchard
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide