Forums59
Topics1,038,988
Posts13,956,958
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Captain Break-Off] #13431220 02/07/20 09:26 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Blk/Blu/Purple Stanley jig, with a Uncle Josh pork trailer = Hammertime! I still have five or six "cardboard sleeves" that had 10 or 15 jigs on each of Triple rattleback jigs I bought from Smitty's in Oak Cliff back in the late 80's or early 90's. Smoked a smug guide of Fork one day when he insisted I'd never get bit on a blk/blu/purple jig with an orange with black dot pork rind. Late November. (looked a LOT like Rayburn red trap color!) Generally have at least 2 tied on. 3 if there's grass to punch.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Captain Break-Off] #13431512 02/08/20 03:11 AM
K
Kodyjoe Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
K
My fishing partner caught a big bass one day back in 1995. We took it to lake fork marina to weigh it cause it bottomed out my ten lb scales. He went to get a bag to put it in and i stayed at the boat Was a guy next to us getting into his boat with two others I looked in the livewell at the fish and the guy says do you have a goodun ,i said yes sir. He wanted to see it then he said you got a sharelunker there buddy He ask the couple if they wanted to go see what it weighed ,they said yea. We go up to weigh it and it weighed 13.52. Didnt know who the guy was so i ask them in the marina Think it was Mr Blair that said Dean Stroman. He stayed with us for a while to make sure the fish was ok. They came and picked her up to take to Tyler then called my buddy tw weeks later and said she didnt have any eggs in her Brought her back to us and we took her back to where he caught her and released her. Had heard how good Dean was so called and booked a nite trip I had caught an eleven pounder two days before my buddy caught the 13 Dean couldnt understand why was calling him to book a trip. He said hell i want to go with yall. We went nite fishing and caught all our fish on jigs I been hooked on jig fishing ever since Became best friends with Dean now everytime i catch a fish on a jig i look up and say this ones for you Mr Dean.

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Captain Break-Off] #13431644 02/08/20 05:46 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
RIP angel

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13431718 02/08/20 12:26 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by CashFishingTeam
Crazy you posted this because it’s something I’ve put a LOT of thought into. First let me start by saying that when I first started jig fishing I went to a seminar at Barber boats in Dallas in 1997 where Denny Brauer, Guido Hibdon, and David Fritz were. Only about 10 people showed up. When Denny was talking he got up there and said that 90% of the tournaments he won money and came off a jig, and 90% of those jig fish were caught on a black and blue 3/8 ounce pro model jig, With a striking bo hog frog Junior trailer. So in my mind just starting out and bass fishing and wanting to learn how to dig fish I thought well Danny Browers one of the best in the world and if that’s the only jig he throws in the only color he throws and it works for him everywhere he goes 90% of the time what else do I need!???
So I went out and bought that jig with that Pork trailer and never looked back. And boy did I catch fish!!! I was 19 years old at the time. Had 26 lbs in my first media on Palestine the next Feb of 98 and been wacking them ever since. No matter where I went or what like I finished I stuck with the same color jig the same way in the same trailer. I never even questioned other colors or trailers and knew that if I just kept that jig wet long enough I would get bit and it made me a good gig fisherman. Now having said that back story, I truly believe using a port trailer helped me get a lot more jig bites. I would never ever see anybody else using pork, whether it was someone who I drew out with in a tournament in my boat or a fishing partner or anybody else on the lake all I ever saw was people throwing plastic. I also believe the feel of the pork and the taste and texture was like real food in the bass his mouth and they did not let go as easy. It always baffled me why nobody threw pork. But then again nobody ever had Denny Broward tell them in person but that’s all he used! lol anyway now I cannot find pork anymore it used to be sold at bass pro and then Walmart, and I think they stopped making it a few years ago. Luckily I still have a few bottles of pork that haven’t even been opened yet that still look good. I do switch to a plastic trailer once it warms up but have not found anything that will even come close to pork in January February and March. So as to what the original poster said I suspect once I do run out a port then I will see my jig bites dwindle during that time of year as well. But for now it’s $$$!! The bass just never see it or taste it. Sorry for typos. Text talk lol

I was there too.
Denny Brauer, Guido and Dion Hibdon were the three pro's. This was just before the Megabucks on Richland Chambers.
Denny said he often put real crawfish juice in his pork bottles before a tournament to give them a little more. He said they would go bad so they only lasted for that tournament.

They were sitting side by side up front on folding chairs. They were all asked if they used rattles in their jigs and if they thought they helped. Dion spoke up and said that he never caught a fish on a jig without rattles. Both Denny and Guido looked at each other and moved one chair over.

I started fishing jigs before rubber in the 60's. Bucktail jigs and Uncle Josh pork frogs and spring lizards.

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Allison1] #13431728 02/08/20 12:45 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Allison1
Originally Posted by CashFishingTeam
Crazy you posted this because it’s something I’ve put a LOT of thought into. First let me start by saying that when I first started jig fishing I went to a seminar at Barber boats in Dallas in 1997 where Denny Brauer, Guido Hibdon, and David Fritz were. Only about 10 people showed up. When Denny was talking he got up there and said that 90% of the tournaments he won money and came off a jig, and 90% of those jig fish were caught on a black and blue 3/8 ounce pro model jig, With a striking bo hog frog Junior trailer. So in my mind just starting out and bass fishing and wanting to learn how to dig fish I thought well Danny Browers one of the best in the world and if that’s the only jig he throws in the only color he throws and it works for him everywhere he goes 90% of the time what else do I need!???
So I went out and bought that jig with that Pork trailer and never looked back. And boy did I catch fish!!! I was 19 years old at the time. Had 26 lbs in my first media on Palestine the next Feb of 98 and been wacking them ever since. No matter where I went or what like I finished I stuck with the same color jig the same way in the same trailer. I never even questioned other colors or trailers and knew that if I just kept that jig wet long enough I would get bit and it made me a good gig fisherman. Now having said that back story, I truly believe using a port trailer helped me get a lot more jig bites. I would never ever see anybody else using pork, whether it was someone who I drew out with in a tournament in my boat or a fishing partner or anybody else on the lake all I ever saw was people throwing plastic. I also believe the feel of the pork and the taste and texture was like real food in the bass his mouth and they did not let go as easy. It always baffled me why nobody threw pork. But then again nobody ever had Denny Broward tell them in person but that’s all he used! lol anyway now I cannot find pork anymore it used to be sold at bass pro and then Walmart, and I think they stopped making it a few years ago. Luckily I still have a few bottles of pork that haven’t even been opened yet that still look good. I do switch to a plastic trailer once it warms up but have not found anything that will even come close to pork in January February and March. So as to what the original poster said I suspect once I do run out a port then I will see my jig bites dwindle during that time of year as well. But for now it’s $$$!! The bass just never see it or taste it. Sorry for typos. Text talk lol

I was there too.
Denny Brauer, Guido and Dion Hibdon were the three pro's. This was just before the Megabucks on Richland Chambers.
Denny said he often put real crawfish juice in his pork bottles before a tournament to give them a little more. He said they would go bad so they only lasted for that tournament.

They were sitting side by side up front on folding chairs. They were all asked if they used rattles in their jigs and if they thought they helped. Dion spoke up and said that he never caught a fish on a jig without rattles. Both Denny and Guido looked at each other and moved one chair over.

I started fishing jigs before rubber in the 60's. Bucktail jigs and Uncle Josh pork frogs and spring lizards.

David Fritts was there as well.

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Captain Break-Off] #13431754 02/08/20 01:31 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
R & R Marine in Pittsburg has a ton of Uncle Josh pork in the original glass bottles.

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Mark Perry] #13431764 02/08/20 01:41 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
David Fritts was there as well.

I forgot about him. He talked about how he tested and marked his crankbaits.
If I remember it correctly he said he took a bunch of new crankbaits out to the lake and threw then across a deep point. If they didn't run right of didn't go deep he would mark them with an X. If they ran good but not real deep he would mark them with XX. If they were the few in the bunch that were exceptional and ran real deep he would mark them with a XXX.
Thats when he told us, if we found a crankbait on Richland Chambers with an XXX on the bill it was his.

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Captain Break-Off] #13432676 02/09/20 02:46 PM
C
Captain Break-Off Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
We went out and fished yesterday, fished a jig most of the time and I managed to get 5 bites. I got 3 of the fish and missed 2, one of which really thumped the jig and knocked slack in the line. Guessing the fish spit it before I could take up the slack and set the hook. We caught 8 total with the jig, one being a 5 plus and two 4's. This is the reason that I throw a jig !!!!!

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Captain Break-Off] #13432862 02/09/20 05:41 PM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
My first introduction to jigs was thanks to Bill Dance. I was watching an older show of his and he was throwing a black / blue jig into lilly pads. We had a smaller lake near the house that had pads and I was excited to try it.

First cast with the jig, I get a gnarly wind knot and my jig plummets into the pads. As I'm digging out the knot I notice my line isn't anywhere near the pads where it landed. I unpick the last of the knot, set the hook, and fight my largest to date LM bass of 7.10 lbs.

To this day, I have a dedicated jig rod with a jig ready to rumble.

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Captain Break-Off] #13432953 02/09/20 08:24 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
A jig used to be my favorite bait to throw back when Fork had grass in it. When you got on a good jig bite you were in for an awesome day of fishing.

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Captain Break-Off] #13433046 02/09/20 10:36 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I’ve been using a jig for over 30 years. I read every article I could find about it back then. Denny wrote one in BassMaster if I remember right, said to really learn how to fish one leave all other baits at home and just throw it. I did that, it was tough at first but when I figured it out, I was a happy man! I love fishing it! Every fish over 10 lbs I’ve caught except one was on a jig. I’ll be throwing one till I can’t fish anymore !

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: ezbassin] #13433139 02/09/20 11:37 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by ezbassin
A jig used to be my favorite bait to throw back when Fork had grass in it. When you got on a good jig bite you were in for an awesome day of fishing.

Got some jig water I need to take you to out there. cheers

Re: Remembering my start of Jig Fishing [Re: Mark Perry] #13433188 02/10/20 12:12 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by ezbassin

Got some jig water I need to take you to out there. cheers

Im ready, just let me know when.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide