Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed #13429909 02/06/20 11:29 PM
P
Personal Best Guide Service Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
I would like to begin tying my own crappie jigs and want to get my tools ordered. I'm not wanting to go crazy on budget, but i am a buy once, cry once kind of person, and don't mind paying a bit more to avoid replacing or upgrading in a few months.

I've watched some videos on line and see some different suggestions, but would love to have perhaps a list of items that I should get from the tool side of things. Actual jig materials are pretty easy to figure out, so I'm mainly looking to ask what would be the most used, beneficial, and can't/don't want to live without tools with a tool budget of about $150.00.

A little more info:
1. no dedicated area for fly tying yet, so I'd like to be able to pretty easily break down and store everything after a tying session to keep out of the way of other household activities
2. Wanting to tie mainly crappie/bass jigs
3. Wondering if starter kits are any good or is it better to buy separately
4. Amazon vs. BassPro?

Thanks for any and all advice.

BigMike

Personal Best Guide Service, LLC
https://personalbestguideservice.com
Catfish Guide on Lake Granbury and Squaw Creek Reservoir
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13430107 02/07/20 02:31 AM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
BigMikeW I am in the same boat myself....thanks for posting..LOL!!! banana

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13430123 02/07/20 02:43 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
1. A Good Vice ( not the most expensive)
2.Several Bobbin Holders( probably not the correct name)
3. Whip Finisher
4.Hackle Scissors
IMHO 2cents

Last edited by Fishbonz; 02/07/20 02:43 AM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13430149 02/07/20 03:00 AM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
A good vise is the main tool you want to get. A few bobbins, whip finisher, 210 flat wax thread and some scissors is all you need. Skip using rayon chenille because it is cheap. Nylon is as cheap as you should go. I like New age, antron and variegated chenilles. Get some hackle and flash-a-bou and get to tying. I tie my coffee table while watching TV. A good vise is the only tool you will need over $10. I buy most of my materials off EBay or Barlow's tackle. Crazy Angler also has a good selection. Bass Pro is very high and I have never purchased any tying materials from Amazon. EBay has some great deals if you look for them.

Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Grainraiser] #13430191 02/07/20 03:29 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Grainraiser
A good vise is the main tool you want to get. A few bobbins, whip finisher, 210 flat wax thread and some scissors is all you need. Skip using rayon chenille because it is cheap. Nylon is as cheap as you should go. I like New age, antron and variegated chenilles. Get some hackle and flash-a-bou and get to tying. I tie my coffee table while watching TV. A good vise is the only tool you will need over $10. I buy most of my materials off EBay or Barlow's tackle. Crazy Angler also has a good selection. Bass Pro is very high and I have never purchased any tying materials from Amazon. EBay has some great deals if you look for them.

NIMROD Tackle is no joke for material also Grainraiser. Very inexpensive coolio

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13430989 02/07/20 06:22 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I disagree with some of what's said, but if you have a Bass Pro or some fly shop near you go there to put your hands on the vises. See what feels right for you. Good rotary vise an mean anything from $155.00 to $700.00.

A good fixed vise can be had for under $100.00

Bobbins, I would be suspect if it's under $15.00 as I want mine to have the ceramic on both ends of the tube and I don't want the cheaper ones with one in the tip and sometimes can come unglued, fall off and then it's your issue to glue that tiny little thing back in the right way. Have had that several times back when I first started some 15 years ago.

If you want more or have other questions you can just PM me and we can chat if you wish.

Skip

Oh and Rayon is not bad at all for catching fish, even the most successful jig I know of used Rayon and it's name is the Gray Ghost, but personally most of my jigs I tie to use have Crystal chenille.

Peak Vise Dealer
Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
colors of Marabou plus other things![/color]

Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13431397 02/08/20 01:16 AM
machinist Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
My one that I can add is to not buy fly/jig denier thread. Buy rod wrapping thread in either D or E size and you will be much happier. You can pull the regular tying thread in two easily. You won't pull rod wrapping thread in two without lots of pressure.

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13434457 02/10/20 10:24 PM
P
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up purchasing a Peak rotary vise and some tools from Amazon this weekend. The tools seem a little cheap, but will get me started.

I also got some multi-pack flashabou and chenille from amazon. I'm not too impressed with the chenille, compared to what I'm seeing being used on some of your jigs. The chenille I got looked like somebody robbed to ends of the toothpicks they use to put in the food at sonic. I could probably practice tying on....toothpicks.

Anyway, could you guys give some suggestions for the size and style of chenille I should be looking at? Anyone here sell materials that could set me up with some assorted packs? Also, looking for a source for jig-heads without the shoulder. Feather's/maribou/fur also.

I've seen a couple of lots of materials on ebay, but would like to support the folks on the forum if prices and quality are in line.

Thanks again.

Mike

Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13434733 02/11/20 01:27 AM
machinist Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Big Mike, Skip on here has everything you need and Crazy Angler is another source to use. Both Skip and Robert are good guys to deal
with.

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: machinist] #13435022 02/11/20 11:19 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by machinist
Big Mike, Skip on here has everything you need and Crazy Angler is another source to use. Both Skip and Robert are good guys to deal
with.

Skip is the MAN on the Forum thumb

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13435598 02/11/20 06:08 PM
P
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
Thanks. I've got a couple of messages in to Skip.

Mike

Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13441015 02/16/20 01:58 AM
P
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
Got some tools and materials this past week and have started to type some jigs. I think Iโ€™m hooked! Now I need to learn to crappie fish.

Any color suggestions for stained water crappie? Iโ€™m on lake Granbury and itโ€™s usually about 1-1/2โ€™ clarity.

Thanks,
Mike

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BigMikeW; 02/16/20 03:49 AM.

Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13441342 02/16/20 04:28 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Once you start you cant stop! Now comes the fun part, testing each jig fish
They all look ๐Ÿ‘

Side note: can't go wrong with white in stained water

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: gar1970] #13444455 02/19/20 05:28 PM
P
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
Originally Posted by gar1970
Once you start you cant stop! Now comes the fun part, testing each jig fish
They all look ๐Ÿ‘

Side note: can't go wrong with white in stained water

Thanks for the input!
I tried a few out on Monday and caught a couple crappie and a sand bass on my own ties. Definitely takes fishing up a notch to catch them on my own hand made jig. I think I'm definitely addicted and am now looking at all of the possibilities in tying jigs for crappie and bass too.

Mike

Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13444815 02/19/20 09:14 PM
J
Jig Man Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
J
That electric chicken is another good dirty water color

Life is Good..<><

Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13445081 02/20/20 02:23 AM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Congrats on your success using your own handties cheers it is a great feeling!
The possibilities are endless

Also agree with Jig Man electric chicken thumb

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13449872 02/24/20 05:30 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Look like you're off to a good start..... Welcome to the addiction....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13451686 02/26/20 02:42 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Clarity at 1.5 ft is not that dingy to me. Dark colors work well in stained/muddy water. Black/gray and black/orange are good, especially in springtime. But most any color will work in clarity at 1.5 ft. I know this sounds crazy, but yellow and John Deere green work well in muddy water also. If you look at the color chart on the old Color-selector, the two colors that show up well at all depths in stained and muddy water is yellow and green. Hence, chartreuse is a great color all around. Chart/white and chart/black and chart/lime green are about the best all around colors for any water.
Enjoy the addiction and good fish

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Jig Tying Tools - Advice Needed [Re: Personal Best Guide Service] #13451973 02/26/20 02:25 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Here are my favorite spring color combos and I will explain what clear and stained and very stained is to me and color.

First for me on Toledo Bend I use 3' as my clear/stained line, so less than 3' down that I can see my jig is stained and if I can see it 3' down or more, it's clear. Then I have another break like say less than 1 1/2' seeing the jig we are very stained and less than a foot, it's down right muddy!

So as I look at these 1/32 Oz Roadrunners my true favorite is the middle one, Chartreuse/Blue/Chartreuse and the Chartreuse and Black is next. Both or for stained water.
2nd one down is my right after a big rain bait and when the lake is stained pretty good.

The bottom two are for more clear water so when you can see your jig down 3' or more.

Now none of this is hard and it doesn't mean that Blue and White will not work in stained water, because it will, but some colors in some conditions will get more strikes. It's also very funny when the water is right at that clear stained break point, it can make a huge difference if it's cloudy or sun is shinning bright!

[Linked Image]

Peak Vise Dealer
Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
colors of Marabou plus other things![/color]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide