texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,749
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
UV finish / paint #13425651 02/03/20 08:41 PM
F
FlyFX Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
F
Can anyone confirm or deny the benefits if any as to the use of UV finish or paint in deep water. Does it work or not.

Most people double haul so they can throw their mistakes further - Bernard "Lefty" Kreh - R.I.P.
Glass rod, click & pawl, ugly flies
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: UV finish / paint [Re: FlyFX] #13425717 02/03/20 09:27 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Following . Thanks for asking that question , After lots of research I am only finding limited opinions from the manufacturers of these paints but not actual fishermen having success stories .

Re: UV finish / paint [Re: FlyFX] #13426440 02/04/20 02:45 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I have read and studied the color thing about 12 years ago now and from time to time look it up again.

The thing UV will do is make that color, heck any color show up a lot farther than it normally would if no UV. Fish can see UV color and we can not, but for me the extremes are not important at all, I mean who cares just how far it can be seen in crystal clear water anyway. However it's much the same with Florescent colors, both can be seen much farther than it would be seen if just a normal color.

So if you would like the fish to see your jig farther away then maybe you should use one of these helpers. In deep water for sure it should help!

Also know the color that can be seen farther than any other if Blue with Violet being right behind that.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
colors of Marabou plus other things![/color]

Re: UV finish / paint [Re: Skip_48] #13426726 02/04/20 05:32 PM
F
FlyFX Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
F
Thanks Skip, that is what I was looking for. Wanted conformation it wasn't more hype than fact before buying it I also read an article long ago about colors and water depth but haven't found it lately I'll have to find and print it.
I have florescent thread I use for that purpose and was considering the uv finish for jigs and fly tying hotspots.
I don't have much clear water mostly 2-3' vis and thought it may serve well on natural color ties like leeches crawfish shrimp and baitfish at depth.
The product I'm looking at claims it can be applied to painted or unpainted jigs which suggests it works independently from color.

Most people double haul so they can throw their mistakes further - Bernard "Lefty" Kreh - R.I.P.
Re: UV finish / paint [Re: FlyFX] #13426854 02/04/20 07:02 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by FlyFX
Thanks Skip, that is what I was looking for. Wanted conformation it wasn't more hype than fact before buying it I also read an article long ago about colors and water depth but haven't found it lately I'll have to find and print it.
I have florescent thread I use for that purpose and was considering the uv finish for jigs and fly tying hotspots.
I don't have much clear water mostly 2-3' vis and thought it may serve well on natural color ties like leeches crawfish shrimp and baitfish at depth.
The product I'm looking at claims it can be applied to painted or unpainted jigs which suggests it works independently from color.

I suspect it will, but would put a color under it if it was me. My break point that I use for clear or stained water is based on my lake, Toledo Bend. I use 3' as my change point from a stained water to a clear water type bait. I like Chartreuse and Blue or Black and Blue until I can see my jig 3' or more down. If I can't see 2' down I consider it really stained like after a big rain and then I have one that I sue with a Hot Orange tail for that.

Now I believe if I am using FL Paint on the head I don't really need UV, but that is just me saying that!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Re: UV finish / paint [Re: FlyFX] #13426933 02/04/20 08:05 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
We are huge fans of anything UV. We dip all our jigheads in uv blast after the initial color dip. We use alot of uv chenille, thread, feathers , hair,and flash. I really think uv makes a big difference! It does boost my confidence in the jig I'm using! And thats what matters most hooked
One thing for sure uv does not affect the fish in a negative way.

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: UV finish / paint [Re: FlyFX] #13426971 02/04/20 08:31 PM
F
FlyFX Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
F
Thanks Gar, good to hear some on the water experience. Your deep gill post definitely boosted my interest.

Re: UV finish / paint [Re: FlyFX] #13427843 02/05/20 02:33 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I think gar is for sure right about that confidence making a big difference. I should say, I too am more confident when using Florescent or UV colors, but for me I am just as confident with the FL stuff. It's all in believing what happens and ask yourself this, how you you feel if you couldn't get any Chartreuse at all, how would that make a difference? After all Chartreuse is a FL color.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide