texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 120,999
TexDawg 119,782
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,322
Mark Perry 72,484
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,874
Posts13,954,558
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: Lee Finlay] #13423407 02/01/20 04:36 PM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Pedals are great. Not my cup of tea but they do have a place in the market. From what i have seen in my life of kayak fishing is if you like distance pedals are not the best. They are great shorter distance but there is a very hard line. I would say that those who talk about legs being stronger than upper body, well simply put your paddling wrong. Weight of the pedal yaks is a disadvantage but truthfully who goes fishing without friends normally? I know there are times when we do but the bulk of the time you will have a friend to help you load and unload etc. Personally i want a hobie tandem with a pedal drive. I feel like it would make taking my son out easier. For now i use a paddle and will always have a paddle yak as my first choice but hobie is king of the pedal drive market and as agenst them i have been i still want one. The key is try to find someone who has one. Dont just do a 10 min demo. Get in real world situations and really see if you like it over a whole day of fishing so you can really evaluate if its the right choice or not. Great luck

Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: Lee Finlay] #13423566 02/01/20 08:58 PM
C
Clay34 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Sure there are some disadvantages, but the benefits far outweigh those and I've never looked back. Hobie Pro Angler here.

The only serious issue for me is that if I want to fish a shallow creek, think smallmouth fishing for me, I take the paddle boat and leave the pedal boat for lakes and bigger rivers.

Keep your old boat and get a new one.

A comment on trailers, the Malones are a PITA to put together and take mucho, mucho hours to do just that. I had the Malone rep tell me it was a 6 or 8 hour project on the trailer that I was considering. They are all bolted together and I have read of some of them coming apart on the road hammer

For about the same price I bought a welded aluminum trailer by Triton. Won't fall apart and saved me a day of frustration.

Yes, go test paddle first.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: Lee Finlay] #13424012 02/02/20 07:57 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by Lee Finlay
For those of us looking to switch from paddle to pedal kayaks, are there any disadvantages to pedal drive?

Personal options aside, what are the better brands and warranties?

Are there any ones to avoid?

I've had a SeaGhost for a few years now, and I'm looking to switch to pedal. I'm looking for something extremely stable with a bulletproof drive system.

Is there anything I need to investigate or invest in before I buy?

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and one of these when you have to move it around. https://rdxsports.com/brown-medium-leather-6-padded-exercise-lifting-belt/

bolt

Last edited by lconn4; 02/02/20 08:11 AM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: Lee Finlay] #13424604 02/02/20 10:45 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
A Hobie PA 360 in a 12 or 14 is likely the new "money is no issue" standard at almost a boat price. Super great.

Hmm? I don't want to hurt feelings but I see defects in several pedalers, have a recommendation in the end.

One negative note is Jackson's pedal drive is just sub-par, I think. I had one on my Bluesky 360 and it was a poor performer. Mine was slow and I don't think I have ever seen a video where they performed well in tests against other kayaks.

And, while I love the Old Town small pedal kayak, the one that is 10'6", I think they made a rather major mistake not building the drive up off the floor where it sits on a lip. Once the drive is pulled up, it seems to me it invites water to enter the kayak rather easily. I've seen videos with 2" of water inside these kayaks. Not certain regarding the larger version.

On my Native Propel 10, the drive sits up on top of a lip and water intrusion is no issue. I can't speak to the pedal drive on these Old Towns but, whew!, the one on the their larger kayak is super fast. So, there is that.

Back to the Propel 10. Native has dropped the price quite a bit. Competition. I still regard it as one of the easiest to launch, fish out of kayaks. Mine has the Boonedox Landing Gear and I can load it super fast, be on the water in a flash. At 34" beam width, the 10 is remarkably stable. Mine has never tumped over. My drive has been flawless all these years. One trick on a Native 10 or 13 is to NOT lock down the one drive tab. If you hit something, the drive will just rock up. And, the drive operates exactly the same locked down on the third tab, or not.

And, I can't image why since the 10 certainly isn't built for paddling, but mine paddles extremely well when I get into the weed beds.

Even though it is now a rather old model, dang, what a kayak for the dollar!!!

Oh! Native just updated its pedal drive. It retrofits to its old models, has better pedals, sports a weed guard on the prop and a few other improvements.

Brad

[Linked Image]

Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: Lee Finlay] #13424982 02/03/20 04:49 AM
B
Bdpeelgren Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Just as everyone else has said. Weight is gonna be the only disadvantage. But all of the other advantages are well worth it.

I’m fishing out of a Lure 11.5 w/ overdrive.

Attached Files 0B88B0C4-D386-475F-BE9B-EF232B27D9B7.jpeg
Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: JohnF67] #13433111 02/09/20 11:24 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by JohnF67
I've got an Old Town Topwater PDL. To me there are three disadvantages. One it ain't light. With the drive it weighs around 95 lbs. It paddles just like you'd expect a 34" wide, 10'6", 95lb kayak to paddle. It can be a wet ride. When the drive is up there's a pretty big hole in the floor. Stuff will find it's way into that hole. Ask me how I know this. Finally, is shallow water. I can can get into water about 18" deep before I have to lift the drive and paddle. Even on a body of water like Lady Bird Lake, there are places I have to lift the drive.

I tested a lot of boats before I plunked down two grand. Hobie Compass, several Natives, Feel Free Lure, and Perception Pilot. All of them were good boats, and I don't think you can go wrong with any. I thought the Old Town had the smoothest of the propeller drives. The Old Town pedal drive is designed by Minkota and has a 5 year warranty on the drive. For me came down to the Hobie and the Old Town. What sold me on the PDL vs. the Hobie Mirage drive is instant reverse. If I'm fighting a fish I keep two hands on the rod and I can back up without yanking on any cords, I just start pedaling backwards. It helps a lot in positioning, I glide up to my spot and pedal backwards to stop.

At the $2K price point the Old Town was the best boat for me. If I had $3K to spend I might have gone with the Hobie Outback or $4K the Pro Angler, but it was pushing my Swamp Yankee frugality to spend $2K.

I have the longer Topwater PDL. I got it in September and I love it, but the above is a very good summary of its disadvantages.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: karstopo] #13967819 04/21/21 02:28 AM
A
allegator Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Originally Posted by karstopo
If your knees are bad, watch out. I can pedal a bicycle pain free, but the Mirage drive kills my knees.

Do you get the same pain with an Old Town PDL style drive?

The Mirage Drive also kills 1 of my knees within an hour of use and hurts for 1-2 weeks after, but I can still jog 5 miles/ride a bike 10 miles pain free.

Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: Lee Finlay] #13968438 04/21/21 04:39 PM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Other disadvantages besides weight is lack of deck /storage space in many models, followed by poor paddling performance, in places where the pedals can't be used:

https://paddlingspace.com/best-pedal-kayaks/#Hobie%20Mirage%20I11S

The older someone gets, the harder it gets to have and enjoyable kayak experience, even for someone that is in great shape. But I still love being on the water fishing, and still manage 100 times per year on a 10lb float tube, which I like better than my previous noisy bass boat, with all it's complications....

Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: Lee Finlay] #13993746 05/11/21 09:19 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
I am with Brad on this. I have a used Native Slayer propel 13 and absolutely love it. While it is heavy, it is worth it because of it's stability. Never felt like I was going to flip in it so far. The Native drives are hard to beat. I crappie fish over brushpiles and around timber and bridges and the instant reverse is a lifesaver. In my opinion, if you are looking for a great peddle yak, the natives are hard to beat for their price and functionality. As for pedaling them, the biggest thing I can't stress enough is to not get in a hurry peddling. If you can feel your legs burn, you are doing it too fast. If you get in the right speed to where you feel no burn, you wont be winded and can go long distances. I typically peddle 3-6 miles a trip and while I am tired, my legs are not. I hope this helps.

Re: Pedal drive disadvantages? [Re: KidKrappie] #13998583 05/15/21 01:48 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Love my slayer propel! Liked my Hobie outbacks, but the boats themselves didn’t convince me to keep them long. Now as to the drives-the fins are easier to navigate shallow water and practically ignore CERTAIN types of grass. You also can stop pedaling and free glide much better. I prefer pedal drive for chasing stripers and for distance ~compared to the kayaks I’ve paddled. I’ve owned over a dozen kayaks, lol, and I never consider keeping one ‘forever’. But I actually have no plans to sell the slayer. For bass and striper it works too well, and you can’t argue with instant reverse! NOW-at the other end of the spectrum, the paddle kayaks I really liked were the OK Prowler and the WS Tarpon that I had. You’re gonna get wet, you can go fast, you don’t have the desire to pack too much stuff like you would in a glorified bass boat like most pedal drives have become. But when you hook into something big, it’s a whole different experience! And they’re simple. I’ve been strongly considering adding a Viking to my plastic navy, for all those reasons! Oh I also like the big front hatches the tarpon and the prowler had. My first reason for buying a kayak was to toss a metal detector in and hit some island beaches I couldn’t otherwise access. Just having a kayak got me back into fishing after about a 10yr hiatus.

Having done this for about ten years now, I’d be perfectly fine with either one, with a slight nod toward simplicity, weight, and ability to have storage right in front of me instead of a set of pedals.

Last edited by pyledriver; 05/15/21 01:49 PM.

'Today is the day!' - Mel Fisher
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide