Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What’s the difference??? [Re: Jpurdue] #13422320 01/31/20 03:08 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I'm not saying those folks weren't talented, but I highly doubt they'd go out on our reservoirs today and produce those kinds of numbers with old equipment. (Unless they knew the water like the back of their hand). Vast amounts of fishing pressure have made many of our lakes mighty tough. If you are not convinced of that go fish an unpressured lake somewhere in the world. I fished a remote part of the boundary waters last May out of a canoe with zero electronics. I slayed all day everyday regardless of the weather conditions. The lure choice barley seemed to matter. I probably could have used anchor rope for fishing line if I wanted.

Mr. Purdue is getting really close to the answers that I am leaning toward. The Old School methods are pretty much gone for ever; although I still use many of them. There is no question in my mind weather it was back in the 80's or today; finding the best fish on the lake is still about knowing that lake like the back of your hand. Pressure has certainly contributed to our lack of success today and technology is trying to even that playing field. Fisherman are spending more time on learning to fully utilize that technology than fishing; there for you never learn that lake like the back of your hand. Knowledge is KING; so pulling all this together from time on the water to being able to see the fish and holding on the best areas that are producing fish. The Old School Knowledge that I rely on is mapping skills to find those productive areas. Once found now you can use your technical equipment to better determine if those Bass are ready to bite or should I come back at a different time.

Many of our fisherman with the best equipment and technology on there boats go at this backwards. They go fishing searching the waters for what they believe is a good area and come up short time after time. It still comes down to the process of elimination. It is my belief that this process is done before you ever get on the water then go fishing for the best that there is on that body of water. When the word, Pressure, comes up that means to me that the fish are smarter then we are. "They are there; but just want bite"; causing us to purchase more equipment and lures. We tend to thank there is some way to force feed them and that is not going to happen unless you are there at exactly the right time. There is an extreme number of not so pressured areas on every lake and they can be found before you ever get on the water and the equipment to get that job done when you get to the area is secondary.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What’s the difference??? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13422393 01/31/20 03:53 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Well John Cox just beat the whole field without an ultrex and a working graph on the front of his boat. I fished with a guy once that won a big FLW tournament on Rayburn. He had a brand new Ranger with no graph on the front. As long as there are bass to be caught shallow the old guys aren't at much of a disadvantage.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: What’s the difference??? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13422491 01/31/20 05:08 PM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by CashFishingTeam
Now that im a member of a forum it just occurred to me I could get some opinions on something I’ve been wondering for a few years now. If you look back at old BASS tournaments, let’s say on Sam Rayburn, it took 20, 22, sometimes 24 a day to win back in the 80’s, just like it does today. So what’s the difference in Hank Parker or Denny Brauer, weighing in 22 lbs in 1986 vs someone doing it today? Do you think if they were young in their prime today, they could weigh the same weights in today using exact same boats, rods, line, tackle as they used back then? If so makes you wonder how much of expensive fluorocarbon, boats, live scope, etc you really need. Especially when they did it with straight monofilament, no gps, just a compass on boat and a flasher, and cheap rubber worms and jig n pigs. lol
If it caught 20 lbs then, why wouldn’t it catch 20 lbs now??? If so why are we spending $26 for a spoil of line and $3000 on graphs? I just keep thinking it’s starting to catch more fisherman than fish. Still takes the same weights to win tournaments 25 years later! Hmmm 🤔

You made a lot of good points .However prepare for those that will try and convince you otherwise.

I got all day I’m retired
Re: What’s the difference??? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13422509 01/31/20 05:20 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: What’s the difference??? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #13422529 01/31/20 05:33 PM
SmalljawNH Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I'm not saying those folks weren't talented, but I highly doubt they'd go out on our reservoirs today and produce those kinds of numbers with old equipment. (Unless they knew the water like the back of their hand). Vast amounts of fishing pressure have made many of our lakes mighty tough. If you are not convinced of that go fish an unpressured lake somewhere in the world. I fished a remote part of the boundary waters last May out of a canoe with zero electronics. I slayed all day everyday regardless of the weather conditions. The lure choice barley seemed to matter. I probably could have used anchor rope for fishing line if I wanted.

I agree. Some of my best days happened in the northeast where they have a seven month season. They forget what jerkbaits looks like by late April. Adjusting to fishing pressure and dirty water in Texas took me some time.

Re: What’s the difference??? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13422604 01/31/20 06:51 PM
C
ClarkC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Here are the second day and final results from the 1985 Texas Invitational that BASS held on Sam Rayburn. Even though it was late February it was probably under similar conditions that the FLW tournament had last week. Check its results here. https://www.flwfishing.com/results The weights on the two tournaments are similar but in 1985 it was a 7 bass limit and most of the top anglers would have lost some weight if the limit was 5. Another factor back in 1985...it was 300 anglers and you drew for partners. Only 150 boats. Who you drew for a partner could greatly affect your tournament day. You may get someone who is on fish or someone that makes you waste half the day doing something unproductive.
Today I think the depth of talent is wayyyyy deeper than it used to be. The weights in so many tournaments are close and so many are catching limits. You have 22 year olds that already have years of experience tournament fishing and the educational resources are everywhere. Todays serious angler started young and there are many more of them now than there used to be.
As for the quality of our fisheries...catch and release was just catching on in the 80's and I would hate to see how tough it would be if everyone was still keeping a limit of bass to eat every time they went fishing. I think stocking Florida bass in all the lakes has also helped the average size that we catch today. It definitely boosted the size of the Lake Record Bass at many lakes. Despite the improvements in the fisheries and the tools we use the enormous fishing pressure that most of the lakes get has kept it very hard to catch a limit of fish most of the time.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: What’s the difference??? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13422915 02/01/20 12:54 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
In my opinion, the most valuable piece of equipment to have helped us evolve, was GPS and map cards. Yes, side imaging & livescope are huge, but those map cards let us find potential hotspots faster than ever before. Poor old professionals had to use triangulation method and graph for hours while staring at a flasher, we should be better anglers today than they were.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide