Page 1 of 2 1 2
Slot limit for Coleto Creek #13418217 01/27/20 11:39 PM
C
Coastal Bend Bassin Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Does anyone think a slot limit for Coleto Creek help this lake any? I've been thinking this recently. Just thought I would ask.

Keep the lines tight!
Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13418288 01/28/20 12:42 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
No. It already has nice fish in it. You just have to know which areas to work and get on their time table. It is fixing to get really good.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Donald Harper] #13418314 01/28/20 01:06 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Donald Harper
No. It already has nice fish in it. You just have to know which areas to work and get on their time table. It is fixing to get really good.

Couldn't this be said for just about every lake?

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13418677 01/28/20 01:20 PM
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
I haven't fished Coleto in a cople of years, what's the problem with the bass?

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13418712 01/28/20 01:55 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
From all the tournaments weights I’ve seen posted there, it’s been pretty bad for awhile. I would like to see slot limits for all lakes.

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13418717 01/28/20 01:59 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Lake has plenty of fish, & good size. The issues are really lack of grass, and prolly not generating can make it tough in the winter months.

Last edited by BMCD; 01/28/20 01:59 PM.
Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13419052 01/28/20 05:58 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Slot limits are overrated. 2cents

Just one more cast!

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13419293 01/28/20 08:41 PM
J
JohnF67 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Out of idle curiosity, how many LMB actually get harvested? I don't like freshwater fish, never have, so I've never kept a fish to eat. I understand a lot of catfish find their way to the table, as do crappie, but how many bass?

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13419346 01/28/20 09:09 PM
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Not enough harvested. Slot limits and catch and release creates a lake with a lot of slot fish and a declining food supply.

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: BillS2006] #13419426 01/28/20 10:10 PM
J
JohnF67 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Originally Posted by BillS2006
Not enough harvested. Slot limits and catch and release creates a lake with a lot of slot fish and a declining food supply.

Thanks, that makes sense...the problem isn't too many bass making their way to the table, it's not enough are making it to the table. More fish, competing for the same amount of food resulting in lots of stunted bass.

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13419440 01/28/20 10:20 PM
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
I don't think they are stunted, but just can't get that extra feed that grows trophys. Fayette is a good example. Fish are healthy, but just not growing large. Biologists agree that the food base is running low.

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13419647 01/29/20 01:17 AM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
It is not about the food sources. There are plenty of that for Bass. It is about all the rough fish that work the shallows during the Spawn and eat the fingerlings. Also those rough fish get there share of bait. Look at Mexico. The netters take all the rough fish out of the lakes. The Bass are the #1 species and they grow to be first class. The average lake in TX. all have rough fish that hold the Bass back. These species will always be there for those to catch that so desire to catch a catfish, carp, gar or buffalo. Sports fish like Whites, hybrids and Stripes fit into this mix also to deplete the Bass population. Bass is not at the top of the FOOD Chain. Until they are at the top nothing can be done to help very much.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Donald Harper] #13419931 01/29/20 12:55 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
It is not about the food sources. There are plenty of that for Bass. It is about all the rough fish that work the shallows during the Spawn and eat the fingerlings. Also those rough fish get there share of bait. Look at Mexico. The netters take all the rough fish out of the lakes. The Bass are the #1 species and they grow to be first class. The average lake in TX. all have rough fish that hold the Bass back. These species will always be there for those to catch that so desire to catch a catfish, carp, gar or buffalo. Sports fish like Whites, hybrids and Stripes fit into this mix also to deplete the Bass population. Bass is not at the top of the FOOD Chain. Until they are at the top nothing can be done to help very much.

You bring up a valid point, but gill netting in Mexico is what they do, and gill nets don't discriminate, but yet their lakes are teeming with big trophy bass and in good numbers.
I'm sure they throw most of the bass back when they are caught, since it's their tourism dollar draw, but many are not, from what I've witnessed fishing the Mexico side of Falcon lake.
Falcon continually produces large numbers of bass, and trophy bass as well.
Every lake I've fished that have slot limits have slowly died as trophy bass lakes, but I'm sure there are other factors as well.
Can anyone name a lake with slot limits that continues to produce trophy bass year in and year out?
Usually slot limits are implemented because the TPWD biologist determine that the lake has a problem, and it's in an attempt to give the lake a boost, which isn't an ideal situation.
And why I say slot limits are overrated! JMHO!

I'll leave my opinion of the share-a-lunker program topic for another day!
roflmao

Just one more cast!

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Coastal Bend Bassin] #13419957 01/29/20 01:36 PM
T
TomRom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Well there are people like me that like to catch fish and yes I practice catch and release. Tournament fishing where they haul the fish around all day does have a significant impact on the fishery. I am not opposed to tournament fishing but Iakes with management plans like Fayette I really appreciate.

Re: Slot limit for Coleto Creek [Re: Jimbo] #13420650 01/29/20 11:51 PM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jimbo

You bring up a valid point, but gill netting in Mexico is what they do, and gill nets don't discriminate, but yet their lakes are teeming with big trophy bass and in good numbers.
I'm sure they throw most of the bass back when they are caught, since it's their tourism dollar draw, but many are not, from what I've witnessed fishing the Mexico side of Falcon lake.
Falcon continually produces large numbers of bass, and trophy bass as well.
Every lake I've fished that have slot limits have slowly died as trophy bass lakes, but I'm sure there are other factors as well.
Can anyone name a lake with slot limits that continues to produce trophy bass year in and year out?
Usually slot limits are implemented because the TPWD biologist determine that the lake has a problem, and it's in an attempt to give the lake a boost, which isn't an ideal situation.
And why I say slot limits are overrated! JMHO!

I'll leave my opinion of the share-a-lunker program topic for another day!
roflmao

The Department of Tourism in Mexico controls a lot of what goes on at selected lakes. Just like here many of the rules are different. On some of the Mex. lakes the nets are in for 9 days and out for 9 days; but that changes if bad weather comes in and stops the lively-hood of netting. Bass are a creature of habbit and this keeps them confused and opens a small window of opportunity for 100 fish days. Tilapia farms are set up on many of the lakes and are regulated like the lake we go to; lake Oviachic. The netters are given a supplement to release the Bass and no Bass are purchased by the industry supporting and/or buying from the netters. They are allowed to keep them to feed their family and some sell them to other sources if they have a means of transportation to get out of there. Ha... The guides on Lake Oviachic brings in Bass for the restaurant at Marina Del Ray once per week. The nets are only in the lake daily until April and start back up in Sept..

At Falcon it is All-For-One and one for all. They keep everything and the nets are not very well marked. I for one am still glad they are there because it takes out tons of rough fish; but it only makes a small dent. I truly believe that the fishing on the Mex. side for Big Bass is much better than the U.S. side because of this.

Websiite Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide