Page 1 of 2 1 2
Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? #13417980 01/27/20 07:39 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
What say ye? Pound test? I fish 15 mostly here, do I need to pump it up to 17 or 20?

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13418030 01/27/20 08:20 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Wouldn't hurt. I use mostly use 17lb fluoro down there. I have never fished Picachos but have Salto and Comodero. Don't see them being much different. What I learned is that you can catch so many fish down there you have to respool every couple of days if using fluorocarbon. The stress from catching that many causes the line to cut itself in the spool and you will start to break off in the spool (my experience anyway). So if you're going to use fluorocarbon I would recommend you spool with a mono or braid backing first. I use a 30 lb cheap braid personally. Fluorocarbon can get expensive. We were catching between 60-75 fish per day between 2 anglers. Forgot to say I was using Invisx. Abrazx may not have that issue.

Last edited by SAKS; 01/27/20 08:21 PM.
Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13418107 01/27/20 09:34 PM
A
azbass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Just got back Saturday from 4 days at Picachos. 15-17lb is more than adequate. They are not line shy so fluoro isn't necessary, but if it adds to your confidence, go for it.. Fish are generally 1-3 lbs and 4+ are far and few between despite rumors to the contrary. I'm sure there is a deep hole loaded with lunkers, but most of the guides are not up to the challenge to locate them and have no idea what a graph is. Expect 100-150 per day on average for two anglers. Best baits for us were 4.5-5" swimbaits and flipping the trees. Lizards always work of course. Topwater was not productive for the most part.

Last edited by azbass; 01/27/20 09:46 PM. Reason: typo
Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: azbass] #13418147 01/27/20 10:28 PM
C
CashFishingTeam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Is it not possible to tell the guides to let you try your own thing??? If you think there are schools of bigger bass in the lake seems like you could drag Carolina rigs deeper, or just tell them to go to a different part of the lake? Anything other than what they are doing/using. Lol Seems a looooong way to go for 1-3lbers.

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13418376 01/28/20 01:53 AM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by CashFishingTeam
Is it not possible to tell the guides to let you try your own thing??? If you think there are schools of bigger bass in the lake seems like you could drag Carolina rigs deeper, or just tell them to go to a different part of the lake? Anything other than what they are doing/using. Lol Seems a looooong way to go for 1-3lbers.

Their graphs are borderline on even actually working. I don’t know that they actually scout the lakes more than they just take clients to predetermined spots that they share and then basically do a station change. Last Feb we were at El Salto and fished four days. Each day with a different guide but same spots. In order to recommend a spot to fish you would need to know the lake or be capable of graphing it. If you wanted to beat the bank maybe but we had very little luck in the shallows.

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13418517 01/28/20 03:50 AM
C
CashFishingTeam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Yes I saw that about the graphs. I was meaning more using common sense so to speak. I mean if you put me in a lake in a boat I could survive with out a graph if I had to. I could fish points for instance. And I could just back out deeper. You can pretty much guesstimate your depth with a Carolina rig, and he really the further out you are the deeper it is. Lol. Just seems like I’d try deeper standing timber, anything at all other than what the guide was doing catching 1-3 lbers while I spent thousands to go to Mexico!

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13418520 01/28/20 03:53 AM
C
CashFishingTeam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Oh n just to touch original question, I fish pretty much floro on everything except top waters. But that’s tournament fishing. It’s way to expensive to use to fun fish in Mexico! Lol if I’m going there I’d spool up with 20 lb big game clear, grip it n rip it.

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13418739 01/28/20 02:19 PM
A
azbass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by CashFishingTeam
Yes I saw that about the graphs. I was meaning more using common sense so to speak. I mean if you put me in a lake in a boat I could survive with out a graph if I had to. I could fish points for instance. And I could just back out deeper. You can pretty much guesstimate your depth with a Carolina rig, and he really the further out you are the deeper it is. Lol. Just seems like I’d try deeper standing timber, anything at all other than what the guide was doing catching 1-3 lbers while I spent thousands to go to Mexico!

Yes that is an option, but it you still need someone who can control the boat in the wind and position you correctly which they cannot. The lake is full right now, so structure outside of primary points is also a lot harder to pinpoint without a graph. I go for fun, I don' want to spend time arguing with a guide that barely speaks English about how and where to fish. I mainly made the comment about bigger fish deeper because I thought someone would immediately say they caught hundreds of 5 pounders down there by fishing structure. bouncy

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13418886 01/28/20 04:14 PM
F
forkduc Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
15# is fine for Picachos. You may tangle with an 8-9 pounder, but most will be 3-4 pounds.

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13418950 01/28/20 04:56 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Thanks for the responses about line size. The main reason for this trip is to spend quality time with my Dad! He is turning 73 this year and has always wanted to go fishing in Mexico. My wife and I have worked hard and been incredibly blessed and finally have the means to take him so we are going. I want to be as prepared as we can but again this is more about time with my Dad than anything else. I grew up in the Northwest trout fishing and my Dad is not really a bass fisherman. He watches it more than I do and has seen a few shows in Mexico and is just so excited to be able to go with me! That is why I chose Picachos, it seems to be the place for numbers, not too technical as far as needing to be able to pitch a jig in a coffee cup from 20 yards away or anything like that. I think we can just go and enjoy ourselves. Thanks again and everyone have a great day!

PS: After 25 years of working in metal shops in Texas, I am fluent in conversational Spanish so communicating with a guide should go OK.

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13419037 01/28/20 05:51 PM
A
azbass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Thanks for the responses about line size. The main reason for this trip is to spend quality time with my Dad! He is turning 73 this year and has always wanted to go fishing in Mexico. My wife and I have worked hard and been incredibly blessed and finally have the means to take him so we are going. I want to be as prepared as we can but again this is more about time with my Dad than anything else. I grew up in the Northwest trout fishing and my Dad is not really a bass fisherman. He watches it more than I do and has seen a few shows in Mexico and is just so excited to be able to go with me! That is why I chose Picachos, it seems to be the place for numbers, not too technical as far as needing to be able to pitch a jig in a coffee cup from 20 yards away or anything like that. I think we can just go and enjoy ourselves. Thanks again and everyone have a great day!

PS: After 25 years of working in metal shops in Texas, I am fluent in conversational Spanish so communicating with a guide should go OK.

If your dad is not comfortable with baitcasters, he can also get away with spinning equipment on Lake Pichachos. My brother used his the entire trip with 12lb suffix mono with no issues. Just retie. Enjoy your trip with your father, I sure do miss mine.....

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: azbass] #13419053 01/28/20 05:58 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by azbass

If your dad is not comfortable with baitcasters, he can also get away with spinning equipment on Lake Pichachos. My brother used his the entire trip with 12lb suffix mono with no issues. Just retie. Enjoy your trip with your father, I sure do miss mine.....

Thank you for that. He can not use a bait caster so I got him two Stradics that were on sale over Christmas. I was planning a braid main line with a flourocarbon leader for him.

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13419245 01/28/20 08:09 PM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by azbass

Thank you for that. He can not use a bait caster so I got him two Stradics that were on sale over Christmas. I was planning a braid main line with a flourocarbon leader for him.

I'd just go straight braid, no need for a leader with those fish.

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13419275 01/28/20 08:25 PM
F
forkduc Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Lodges have baitcasters and spinning rods to borrow. Mo need for ;elder,braid is fine . When are you going? Im going to Speeds lodge 2/17 - 2/22. You and your dad will have a blast/

Re: Abrazx, Invizx, Big Game, for Picachos Mexico?? [Re: Bass Buster1] #13419378 01/28/20 09:33 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
We are going last weekend in March and using Ron Speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide