Print Thread
Trapping Crawfish #13416365 01/26/20 02:37 AM
J
Jobst Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Does anyone here in North Texas trap crawfish in our streams, creek, and lakes? Any advice. I know they are there.

Re: Trapping Crawfish [Re: Jobst] #13416406 01/26/20 03:32 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I trapped all the time back 20 years ago when fishing tournaments and throwing Jigs. Traps are expensive. Crayfish will get in a cheaper Minnow Trap. They like Raw Fish for bait best of all. Crayfish vary in color from one section of your lake to the other. Pick three areas that you are going to Bass Fish. I am assuming that you are fishing and want the colors. Hell you may be eating them. Please clarify......

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Trapping Crawfish [Re: Jobst] #13416517 01/26/20 11:34 AM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
used minnow trap with bacon hung in the middle.

Re: Trapping Crawfish [Re: hopalong] #13417387 01/27/20 04:30 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by hopalong
used minnow trap with bacon hung in the middle.

This is what I did, mostly...of course, also, I would take an old pole, tie six foot or so of fishing line, with bacon tied on it, and go catch them, as well. Kinda fun way to spend a couple hours!

Re: Trapping Crawfish [Re: Jobst] #13417995 01/27/20 07:48 PM
J
Jobst Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Actually for both eating and fishing.

Just looking to procure them locally rather than having to purchase them for eating and save some for fishing
Any lakes better them others? Lavon, lewisville, Ray Roberts, grapevine? I know they prefer rocky and muddy shallow areas.

Re: Trapping Crawfish [Re: Jobst] #13418051 01/27/20 08:40 PM
1WithTXFish Offline
Angler
Angler
A while back my brother was trying to trap them to sell for bait. The things we found were that:
1. You need a lot of traps over a large area to make collection worth it.
2. They are not always in the same place everyday.
3. To capture large ones worth eating takes a lot of time and luck.

All of this info is for North Central Texas Lakes, Streams and Rivers. Maybe the further east you go the more prolific they are but in Tarrant or Wise County the quantity of large crayfish are just not here, or at least I have not found them.

A five spot for a shot and a beer? And you wonder how we wound up here.
Re: Trapping Crawfish [Re: Jobst] #13418290 01/28/20 12:45 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I only trapped them for Jig Colors; as I was fishing Bass Tournaments.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Trapping Crawfish [Re: Jobst] #13429297 02/06/20 03:12 PM
F
Fishcharmer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
When I was a kid growing up in the Haltom city, North Richland Hills area we could catch all the crawdads we wanted with either a piece of bacon and string in the muddy water or by flipping rocks in the clear water creeks and catching them with your hands. This was in the mid seventies when I was still riding my bike to get around and would frequently ride the trails along fossil Creek. I often came across a very elderly lady with snow white hair that stood out like a sore thumb in the dark undergrowth brush ... She did not have much to say but would usually let me look at her bucket of fish that she caught on two cane poles which was a mixture of everything in the Creek. One day she had a second bucket with a whole bunch of crayfish in it next to the bucket with fish and I asked her how she caught them... She walked over to the bank and started to pull on a string that she had tied to some branches and slowly started to pull in the most amazing crowded trap you ever saw. She had located a tumble weed and tied a chicken neck halfway up the stalk in the middle along with a nut and bolt to give it weight... When she got the tumbleweed next to the shore she quickly snapped it up on to the bank and there was a handful of crawdads trying to get away from that chicken neck that had drawn them into the middle of that tumbleweed.. it was amazing.
I have tried this several times over the years while camping and it works every time... So if you ever end up on the survival show "Naked and Afraid", you can be the hero with this trick..

Re: Trapping Crawfish [Re: Fishcharmer] #13429490 02/06/20 05:35 PM
C
cellis Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by Fishcharmer
When I was a kid growing up in the Haltom city, North Richland Hills area we could catch all the crawdads we wanted with either a piece of bacon and string in the muddy water or by flipping rocks in the clear water creeks and catching them with your hands. This was in the mid seventies when I was still riding my bike to get around and would frequently ride the trails along fossil Creek. I often came across a very elderly lady with snow white hair that stood out like a sore thumb in the dark undergrowth brush ... She did not have much to say but would usually let me look at her bucket of fish that she caught on two cane poles which was a mixture of everything in the Creek. One day she had a second bucket with a whole bunch of crayfish in it next to the bucket with fish and I asked her how she caught them... She walked over to the bank and started to pull on a string that she had tied to some branches and slowly started to pull in the most amazing crowded trap you ever saw. She had located a tumble weed and tied a chicken neck halfway up the stalk in the middle along with a nut and bolt to give it weight... When she got the tumbleweed next to the shore she quickly snapped it up on to the bank and there was a handful of crawdads trying to get away from that chicken neck that had drawn them into the middle of that tumbleweed.. it was amazing.

Neat story!

Re: Trapping Crawfish [Re: Jobst] #13429814 02/06/20 09:40 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I had a good friend who was vietnamese when I was young and his uncles would pay us $5 for evey 5 gallon bucket we brought them. We took window screens off vacant houses and tied bacon in middle and put them in these long bar ditches. By the time you got the last one in, they would almost be covered on first one. I then asked what they did and he told me they ate them. This was 77-79, I never heard of anyone eating them before that. They had a trellis garden that covered whole back yard covered with gourds and vegetables from home. Think 14 of them lived in a 3/2/2. They would give you the shirt off their back though. Sure would love to run into Alan Cawley one of these days.

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide