Fence Sitters #13414521 01/24/20 12:44 AM
H
HOGON Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Hello my fellow TFF'ers,

I have not been fishing lately because between work and some medical appointments I just have not had the time to hit the water.

While I have not been able to make it out I sure have had enjoyed the posts and pictures of those that have been able to make it out on the water.
I apologize for not commenting on the individual threads. I have had a lot going on. I have enjoyed them though.

Love the pictures with the kiddos their smiles say it all. Crappie Fishing is so awesome.

I know this next little bit of information is not necessarily about Crappie Fishing, but it was an eye opener and jaw dropper for me.

I am posting this information for anyone that has been sitting on the fence. Learn from my stupidity please.

I lost my best friend in High School. His name was Donald Fox and he died on his 18th Birthday from Colon Cancer.

I have no idea why or at least I do not remember why, but I went in and got a colonoscopy done at age 30. They found some polyps and cut them out.

I was told to come back at 35 years of age and I did not go. Why not?
No good reason and no excuse. Just kept finding more important things to do in my life than go get another colonoscopy.

I finally decided to go get a colonoscopy and an endoscopy done at the same time. I figured mind as well have them check both directions because I am already knocked out anyway.

I am 48 now. The worst part is the day before which is the "PREP DAY". Basically drink clear liquids, the Prep Mix, and no solid food the day before the procedures.

The procedures themselves are non events.

The procedures from the time I went into the room to coming out of the room was 1 hour total to have both procedures done. I walked out 30 minutes after I came out and we went out to eat.

Why am I telling you this information?

The Doctor found 6 polyps in me that he cut out and one was the size of a baseball. OMG

All were sent to the lab.

He stated that more than likely the big one has cancer in it. Luckily it was all contained. If I had not come in when I did then more than likely within the next 12 months I would have been fighting aggressive colon cancer. gumshoe OMG gumshoe

He told me he is 110% sure he got it all, but I am still going back for another colonoscopy and endoscopy in 3 months.

I shared my story with my coworkers and one chimed in that he was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer. He had emergency surgery, chemo, the works. Luckily, he is on the mend now. No symptoms at all prior. His road is exactly where I was headed.

I should have went back at 35 like I was told to do.

I dodged a bullet big time. Still very sobering to know that my stupidity almost cost me dearly.

If you have never had either procedure done and you are 40 or older I highly recommend getting the procedures done ASAP.

Many who get diagnosed had no symptoms at all prior to diagnosis. It is a silent and deadly killer that is easily preventable if you just go get the procedures done.

Hoping this post prompts some fence sitters to go get checked. It just may save your life.

If you are polyp free then what a great peace of mind you will have knowing your all good.

My doctor is Adnan Badr of DHAT (Digestive Health Associates) at Presbyterian of Plano. His office is in the hospital.

He did my first colonoscopy 18 years ago. He is obviously very experienced with them.

Hoping to save someones life.

Back to Crappie Fishing!!! fish

Some people who have had colon cancer: Audrey Hepburn, Vince Lombardi, Ronald Reagan, Jackie Gleason just to name a few.

Last edited by HOGON; 01/24/20 12:47 AM.

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13414531 01/24/20 01:03 AM
B
Bentman63 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I lost my father and uncles to colon cancer.I went and got a colonoscopy when i was 44. I had colon cancer and caught it early enough that I just had to have half of my colon cut out.It could have been worse. My Dad got checked at 47 and it was too late to save him.
I have to go get a colonoscopy every 3 years now.
I am glad you are ok

[Linked Image]
Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13414580 01/24/20 01:44 AM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I lost my Dad in 1985 because of colon cancer. He had waited so long that it had spread to his liver and he lived 18 months after being diagnosed.

I have had a colonoscopy ever 5 years since the age 40. Found 3 polyps once and no others and I am 73 now.

My Doctor at age 40 told me that if I had a colonoscopy every 5 years he could almost guarantee that I would never die of colon cancer because it takes longer than that in most people to develop into cancer.

WORDS TO THE WISE: If you are over 40, get it done. It ain't that bad and losing a day of your life is better than losing your life.

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13414654 01/24/20 03:08 AM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Good message and hopefully it will hit home for those fence sitters. Cancer is so prevalent now days. The wife went through stage 3 breast cancer and I had oral cancer surgery this past July. Still waiting to get my final prosthesis. Good news is now when I get popcorn stuck in my teeth I can take em out and clean em.... roflmao

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13414660 01/24/20 03:11 AM
P
pop r Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
Hogon
I'm so glad you had this colonoscopy done and the cancer was caught and removed. This isn't something to play around with. Nobody wants to get this done but if it can save your life it's well worth it! I hope to see you and your dad posting more slab pictures soon.

Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13414667 01/24/20 03:19 AM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
fish Hogon I just read ypur post , have enjoyed your posts & photos ofyou & mom&dad brings back good memories. Glad to here you are ok,pretty scary stuff.Well reason I decided to comment I guess I am fence sitter, going in soon to get ck'd haven't had one in 15yr. [crazy iknow] Hoping for good news.[iam 65] Glad you ok. Hope to meet ya'll on the water.

Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13414678 01/24/20 03:40 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Hogon, that was a very moving story...thank you! How are your mom/dad? Tell ole Dutch, I said hello! Your mom is one of the sweetest persons, I have ever met!

This story hit home. A good friend of mine, who just happens to own a bank, and I were out having lunch several years ago, when I was 50 something. He had just endured a colonoscopy, a week prior. He asked me had I had one done...I replied NO, with the follow up, that I was neither old or worried about it. He then told me of a story of a customer that endured the same situation as you, at an early age. He implored me to have one done, and mentioned that colon cancer, if caught early is curable. I did...thankfully, the doc dutifully Informed me (in front of my wife) that there no polyps, or other issues. He then told me that I was a perfect specimen...Sandra said, “well doc I could have told you that! He has always been a perfect azzhole!” So, surprisingly, I was relieved, that that was one cancer risk that I could cross of my list...well, and that I didn’t need to follow up for another ten years! I still hate that movie prep!

Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13414702 01/24/20 04:11 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Very well stated! thumb

Side Note: Glad you were able to get the good news that your cancer had been taken out! angel2

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13414705 01/24/20 04:14 AM
B
Buckchaser Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
B
Hogon, I’m so thankful that your story has a happy ending.

I had my first colonoscopy at 50 years old. The doctor removed two polyps. My second, at age 55, no polyps. I just turned 60 and my doctor is already setting up my appointment for my third colonoscopy. It’s a scary thought wondering what kind of shape I’d be in right now if those two polyps wouldn’t have been removed 10 years ago. And I agree, the procedure is totally a nonevent.

If I could, I’d like to add a word of encouragement to our lady friends. Please never miss your mammograms. My wife is a two time breast cancer survivor. Early detection is the key! Go get checked out!

Thanks for the post.

Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13415429 01/24/20 11:17 PM
C
Crappie Ford Man Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
It sounds like you'll be ok which is great news.

This resonated with me. I have a friend that was diagnosed with a tumor 12 x 12 centimeters and he's undergoing radiation and chemo at age 56. I had my second colonoscopy age 56 this month and they removed a pre-cancerous polyp which would have certainly been cancer in a few years. Now I'm on the 3 year colonoscopy cycle.

This stuff is real stealthy and can be terrible. Most are blessed in this country to have the colonoscopy option. Please take advantage of that guys and gals. It most certainly can save your life.

Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13415528 01/25/20 01:27 AM
A
Asleep At The Reel Offline
Angler
Angler
A
Glad you got checked and fixed. I lost a friend last week to colon cancer. They found it a few days before or after Christmas, unsure of the time and he passed Jan 17th. Had 3 weeks to live. So sad. 48 years old. His family had a history of it, but he never got checked. So, yes get er done!!!! Glad you are good my friend.

https://lonestarwarriorsoutdoors.org/

ASLEEP AT THE REEL (YouTube)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpYfRLf2MT7MkD-jsDrbMkw
Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13415784 01/25/20 01:30 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Good read, every man at age forty should have a complete physical and every year thereafter. My dad died at the ripe old age of 53 !!

Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13415902 01/25/20 03:03 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Glad it was caught and taken care of before it got worse! I have had a colonoscopy when I was younger and will have to do another one pretty soon for my digestive issues. Definitely not a fun process.

Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13416519 01/26/20 11:36 AM
C
crope1 Online Content
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
Online Content
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
C
Thank God that you went when you did!!! My mother ( who has passed on ),asked when I was younger to go and have mines checked. I promised her I would do so on a regular basis. Well its that time to do so this year. Praying everything goes well.

Re: Fence Sitters [Re: HOGON] #13420916 01/30/20 04:23 AM
C
Crabby Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Just "get 'er done".
You'll be glad you did.

The prep day is the worse part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index