texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,879
Posts13,954,696
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Another Galveston post... heh #13409194 01/19/20 12:38 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I figured to start a thread as I was curious....and did not want to hijack the other Galveston thread.

When I was a kid.. like.. 9 or younger if I remember correctly, and I rarely do.. lol... we had a 13.5' Boston Whaler. When I told my wife about it, she asked why we needed such a big boat then. I replied, "The ocean has gotten a lot bigger since then, honey....". I still remember the sales brochure of that thing cut into three pieces and floating. To this day, I still wonder if someone says to their wife, "Honey... it's a good buy. If we ever get hit by a giant ban saw, we will still float!".. lol

Anyway, we lived in Meyerland (Houston) and my father used to take us out of Galveston all the time. I am not positive where we went out of. I remember a really long bridge we would fish under for sheepshead, and we fished off the jetties for speckled trout and reds. We had "Snoopy rods" and my brother hooked a bull red once... fought it for over 30 minutes and my dad had to use duct tape to keep the reels on at one point. When my brother got the big red to the boat, my dad was so excited that he accidentally grabbed the oar and slapped the thing to the water so hard, it accidentally hit the line and broke the fish off. My brother got sick.... lol

Anyway, I have not been back to Galveston to fish for...40 years, since we moved to West Texas way back then. I know Port A and the surrounding areas, but have family back towards Houston and thought it might be nice to head out that way sometime.

For a Grady, what good boat ramps are down that area with good access to areas for sheepshead and maybe the jetties? I plan to start off small as I need to get used to this boat before I push it out there. Still have to break her, and me..., in. I have not really seen much Spanish Macks down in Port A, but if I remember correctly, they were a big thing in Galveston.

Don't care if I need to pay to launch in Galveston, would rather pay a little and have a more secure place and better facilities than to not pay and worry about tons of other boats or narrow launch lanes. This is a bit bigger than I have had in the past... ok, a lot bigger lol. My biggest boat since the Navy was a 24ft Triton LTS... till now.

Thanks fellas! Hope to meet some folks in Port A and Galveston, and ports in between, soon. I also would not mind hauling her to New Orleans to do some fishing.. heh

Russ

[Linked Image]
"Cowbell"
"I got a fever, and the only prescription for it, is more Cowbell!"
Re: Another Galveston post... heh [Re: JohnRussell] #13413319 01/22/20 11:53 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Tx City Dike...........go any where from there. Great ramps at the end.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Another Galveston post... heh [Re: JohnRussell] #13413597 01/23/20 10:12 AM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
If your current boat is the one in your signature, I'd suggest heading to Freeport, TX versus Galveston. It's about the same distance from North Houston and the water gets deeper MUCH faster there. This time of year you can not only get trout and redfish at the jetties but also can get state water red snapper inside 9 miles. If you have the gear, fuel bladder and experience, on a good weather window you can get a crew and hit the Flower Gardens for wahoo or Boomvang/Nancen for tuna.

Re: Another Galveston post... heh [Re: photofishin] #13418509 01/28/20 03:43 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted by photofishin
If your current boat is the one in your signature, I'd suggest heading to Freeport, TX versus Galveston. It's about the same distance from North Houston and the water gets deeper MUCH faster there. This time of year you can not only get trout and redfish at the jetties but also can get state water red snapper inside 9 miles. If you have the gear, fuel bladder and experience, on a good weather window you can get a crew and hit the Flower Gardens for wahoo or Boomvang/Nancen for tuna.

Thanks. Will definitely keep that in mind. I mostly go out of Port A, but don't mind the idea of new waters, if I have someone else that knows the waters well.

R

[Linked Image]
"Cowbell"
"I got a fever, and the only prescription for it, is more Cowbell!"
Re: Another Galveston post... heh [Re: JohnRussell] #13419073 01/28/20 06:11 PM
N
nautiboy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
N
check with galveston yacht basin . they went private , but i read where they will let the public launch if you have isurance . texas city is a nice ramp , but vehicle break in's do happen from time to time .

you can't show them the light if you keep them covered in hate .
Re: Another Galveston post... heh [Re: JohnRussell] #13419376 01/28/20 09:32 PM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted by JohnRussell
Originally Posted by photofishin

Thanks. Will definitely keep that in mind. I mostly go out of Port A, but don't mind the idea of new waters, if I have someone else that knows the waters well.

R

I know Freeport waters well and have several numbers. I've also fished the floaters a bunch for yellowfin and have all my own gear. Let me know if you need crew

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide