Print Thread
Ascend Hybrid Kayak #13406186 01/16/20 03:11 PM
C
camtheguitarman Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
So I'm wanting to step up my game and am kinda in the market for my next kayak, currently I'm in a Tarpon 100, not a bad yak, but I'm not caring for the inability to stand or the lack of cockpit storage. I've been looking at the Ascend Hybrids as theyre in my price range, but I have heard much about them. Does any one have any insight of these kayaks? Lets hear the good, bad, and ugly about them. Thanks!

Re: Ascend Hybrid Kayak [Re: camtheguitarman] #13406218 01/16/20 03:37 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Welcome to the forum!

I don't have any experience with those hybrids. I have owned an Ascend 12T and not a fan of them. If someone wanted to give me an Ascend kayak I wouldn't take it. They're just not good kayaks IMO. I see guys all the time buy a lower end kayak because that's what they have the budget for then turn around and sell it in 6 months for half of what they bought it for losing hundreds of dollars. My advice is to either save up for something with more quality (in the $800-$900 range) or look at used.

You currently have a 10 footer? What are your hauling and storing capabilities? Can you get a longer kayak? Reason I ask is a 10' kayak wide enough that you can stand in is going to be hard to paddle. You'll be much better off with a 12 or even a 13 footer. If you can go 13 look at the Vibe Seaghost 130. Stable enough to stand in but light enough to be able to paddle fairly well and has great storage.

If you need to stay with 10 feet one option is the Feel Free Moken 10. It's on sale now for $599 and is wide enough to stand in. https://www.austinkayak.com/Feelfree-Moken-10-Kayak/ACK3031P.html#pdpSpecs

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Ascend Hybrid Kayak [Re: camtheguitarman] #13406222 01/16/20 03:39 PM
1WithTXFish Offline
Angler
Angler
I have a green H12 and I love it. It is easy to stand and it is pretty maneuverable. It sits tall out of the water so the wind blows you around pretty good, but with practice and anchor trolley and a drift sock work great. I load a 24 can cooler, 3-4 rods, a bag with 6 large Plano boxes, a large worm binder, anchor with 100' of rope, and my 215 lb self with no problems. I have even had my 50 lb dog in the boat with me and had no issues. It is stable and not tippy but the downside, like a canoe or a sit in kayak, if you flip it your full of water. So I'm looking into adding foam under the railing to add some flotation for when I do tip it over. You will have to modify the seat if you have any heft but there are numerous YouTube videos covering this topic. I went with the double layer of pool noodle method but later on I am thinking about adding some more plastic bracing to help with flex. I have not added any electronics yet but there are three built in rails and lots of flat surface to mount additional one if needed. The front hatch can be covered or the lid removed, I leave the lid on and use the bungee straps hold down my paddle blade for quick access. I slide my cooler under the hatch so its out of the sun. The back bay has a mesh fabric cover I leave that at home and just leave my tackle back there in the sun. I don't fish a lot mid day when its really hot and store everything in my garage when not in use, so my tackle has not seen to many detrimental effects. Its not the fastest paddler but it is a comfortable paddler, especially when you get you seat height to paddle length ratio correct. Since you sit lower and have to go over the side railing you will need a longer paddle the with your sit on top.

A five spot for a shot and a beer? And you wonder how we wound up here.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide