New to Crappie what do I need to start #13405497 01/15/20 09:04 PM
B
broncos1 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
What do I need to start crappie fishing

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: broncos1] #13405501 01/15/20 09:16 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Are you gonna be boat or bank fishn?

Are you up to using jigs or rather start with minnas?

What area of the world are you in?

Do you have rods & reels already?

Do you have any experience fishn?

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: broncos1] #13405505 01/15/20 09:20 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
One more important question we'll part 2 of the 1st question, If you have a boat do you have lice scope on it? Very important question cause we'll have to take a different approach if'n you have it.....
And yeah I meant live scoop I mean scope......
popcorn2

Last edited by SK.; 01/15/20 09:21 PM.

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: SK.] #13405509 01/15/20 09:22 PM
S
SkeeterHunter Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Originally Posted by SK.
One more important question we'll part 2 of the 1st question, If you have a boat do you have lice scope on it? Very important question cause we'll have to take a different approach if'n you have it.....
popcorn2

roflmao

2019 Skeeter ZX250
Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: SK.] #13405544 01/15/20 10:03 PM
B
boocat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by SK.
popcorn2

Are you ok?

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: broncos1] #13405750 01/16/20 01:28 AM
B
broncos1 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Bank fishing
Both live bait and lures
I have bass fishing gear

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: broncos1] #13405772 01/16/20 01:55 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Best bet find some creeks and start there from the bank this time of year. Pretty slow in my neck of the woods off the bank.

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: broncos1] #13405847 01/16/20 03:05 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by broncos1
Bank fishing
Both live bait and lures
I have bass fishing gear

First off...welcome to the light! Let’s see, probably the first thing to do, is to take the lightest rod you have and put smaller line on it. 4lb to 8lb line is really plenty strong for most crappie applications. If you have, a spinning setup, that would be optimal. Learn to use crappie Lures, Jigs, roadrunners and the like, because toting minnows up and down a creek bank is a major league pain, relative to taking a pocketful of Jigs. Normally, when I walk the creek banks, I want braided line, in 15lb to 20lb test, unless the the creek is clear water, then I work with 8lb fluorocarbon.

When bank fishing, you can either jig the stumps, bank, brushline, etc., or float a cork by that type structure. Bass fishermen always talk about sight fishing the shallows during the spawn. Well, crappie fishing involves sight fishing structure. Logjambs, fallen treetops, beaverdams, briars, etc., regularly hold crappie.

This is just a primer, to get you ready. Each creek has its own personality, so you need to decide what banks you want to fish, then figure out what works best on that creek. I routinely fish half a dozen creeks, and have different rod/reel combos for each creek...because, at the end of the day, you will want to bring the fish home.

P.S. a clip on type stringer, a 5 gallon bucket, 20 ft of parachute cord, are necessary items for creekbank fishing.

Hope this information helps.

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: crapicat] #13405941 01/16/20 05:11 AM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by crapicat
Originally Posted by broncos1
Bank fishing
Both live bait and lures
I have bass fishing gear

First off...welcome to the light! Let’s see, probably the first thing to do, is to take the lightest rod you have and put smaller line on it. 4lb to 8lb line is really plenty strong for most crappie applications. If you have, a spinning setup, that would be optimal. Learn to use crappie Lures, Jigs, roadrunners and the like, because toting minnows up and down a creek bank is a major league pain, relative to taking a pocketful of Jigs. Normally, when I walk the creek banks, I want braided line, in 15lb to 20lb test, unless the the creek is clear water, then I work with 8lb fluorocarbon.

When bank fishing, you can either jig the stumps, bank, brushline, etc., or float a cork by that type structure. Bass fishermen always talk about sight fishing the shallows during the spawn. Well, crappie fishing involves sight fishing structure. Logjambs, fallen treetops, beaverdams, briars, etc., regularly hold crappie.

This is just a primer, to get you ready. Each creek has its own personality, so you need to decide what banks you want to fish, then figure out what works best on that creek. I routinely fish half a dozen creeks, and have different rod/reel combos for each creek...because, at the end of the day, you will want to bring the fish home.

P.S. a clip on type stringer, a 5 gallon bucket, 20 ft of parachute cord, are necessary items for creekbank fishing.

Hope this information helps.

Awesome info and I agree especially bout those minnas....... I'll add do some research to find the deeper creeks in your area......

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: boocat] #13405944 01/16/20 05:13 AM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by boocat
Originally Posted by SK.
popcorn2

Are you ok?

Yes, I'm ok..... Just having a lil fun while trying to help someone get as addicted to crappie fishn as I am.....LOL

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: broncos1] #13405982 01/16/20 11:26 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Learn how to set up a slip cork. This will allow you to cast your bait and maintain a depth while slowly retrieving.

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: SK.] #13406258 01/16/20 04:04 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by SK.
Originally Posted by SK.
popcorn2

Are you ok?

Yes, I'm ok..... Just having a lil fun while trying to help someone get as addicted to crappie fishn as I am.....LOL

Yes, SK is OK! I have had the pleasure to fish with him one time via a mutual friend. Within two minutes, I knew that we had hit it off, as we were trash talking each other like lifelong friends. His humor is infectious, and his fish catching is revered, by those that know him. He was just lucky I was on a lake I don’t usually fish and the boat captain kept me off those piles!

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: crapicat] #13406479 01/16/20 06:48 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by crapicat
Originally Posted by SK.
Originally Posted by SK.
popcorn2

Are you ok?

Yes, SK is OK! I have had the pleasure to fish with him one time via a mutual friend. Within two minutes, I knew that we had hit it off, as we were trash talking each other like lifelong friends. His humor is infectious, and his fish catching is revered, by those that know him. He was just lucky I was on a lake I don’t usually fish and the boat captain kept me off those piles!

thumb

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: broncos1] #13406517 01/16/20 07:08 PM
N
NELA Bassguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Honestly one tackle box with slip corks, jigs, minnow hooks, split shots, Beetle Spins, and road runners and two light to medium light spinning rods will get you well along your way. Use one with a slip cork with a jig or minnow and one for casting a beetle spin or roadrunner.

One word of advice from bass fishing, color will have way more impact on crappie than bass. You can go nuts with all of the color patterns available, but my standby jig colors are Black/Chart, Red/Chart, Green/Chart, and White.

Re: New to Crappie what do I need to start [Re: broncos1] #13406586 01/16/20 08:04 PM
red snappa Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Fishing from the bank, a good slip cork is your best friend when targeting crappie. Invest in good EV foam slip corks, they are super durable.

I like my fishing like a whino likes his wine!
http://thermoclinelures.com
http://advancedtaxidermy.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide