Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405109 01/15/20 02:23 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
It's amazing to me our ancestors were able to figure this stuff. This mushroom is good to eat. This one will kill you. This one will lower a fever. This one will make you see things. There must have just been huge numbers of them that died experimenting. I guess death was so common back then and life so unpleasant you didn't have a whole lot to lose. Interesting lore indeed.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405224 01/15/20 04:18 PM
Der Vorsteher Online Shocked
TFF Guru
Online Shocked
TFF Guru
What about migraines?

Team Wolfs
Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405261 01/15/20 04:47 PM
S
Snakeyes711 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Wonder if anyone has ever researched the benefits of rabbit tobacco? My mom always had some around the house but I never saw anyone smoking it or making a poltice with it.

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Jpurdue] #13405265 01/15/20 04:50 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
It's amazing to me our ancestors were able to figure this stuff. This mushroom is good to eat. This one will kill you. This one will lower a fever. This one will make you see things. There must have just been huge numbers of them that died experimenting. I guess death was so common back then and life so unpleasant you didn't have a whole lot to lose. Interesting lore indeed.

Lots of "Hold my Grog" moments that ended badly

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405267 01/15/20 04:51 PM
F
fishslime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Kattelyn
GD Hippy froo froo wannabes just make me want to beat them bloody.

Y'all know I teach wild foods and medicines. I learned this from people who had to know it before modern medicine was honestly even invented, much less available here in the wild west of Texas 100+ years ago. I have stories of uses in my head from almost 200 years ago on the damn Trail of Tears. We HAD TO know this to survive.

I'm also the family hospice nurse. I would stay with family in the hospital as their patient advocate, then I would bring them home and care for them, and I would ease their passage into heaven. I have treated many cases of diabetic gangrene, various end stage cancers, wounds that would not heal.

And this GD hippy "big pharma" [censored] where they're wanting to leave modern medicine behind to go back to using plants, but not knowing what they are, what they actually do or why, and wanting to cure sh*t with the spiritual vibrations of plants and rocks and sht just makes me want to take a switch to them and beat until they come to their senses. You can EITHER peel willow stems, cut into 1" lengths, boil down gently for an hour, or soak for 3 weeks, and drink that liquid, OR YOU CAN TAKE A FKING ASPRIN.

Science is the careful observation, testing, and recording of the natural world. We find a plant that works. We observe then extract the useful compound from the plant while discarding the either useless, or counterproductive parts. That leaves us with the pure form that we can then properly dose for just enough to be effective without overdosing the patient. You can't tell me how much useful properties are in one leaf to the next, much less how much you need to use. But we now have these people who want to teach medicinal plants as though they are experts at it, when they can't tell me the active compounds that we are using. They can't tell me WHY you would feed a plug of tobacco to a horse or why you would sprinkle a little bit around and in the hole for a newly planted tree. These are people who swear by organic because it's "chemical free".

I teach to preserve knowledge. I am extremely careful to not teach the dangerous stuff that we had to know in order to save lives. And then I see these idiots wanting to use dangerous treatments that I know better than to use because "big pharma". Go to the damn doctor. Get it taken care of before it turns into gangrene or something worse. And stop acting like it's spiritual. You're not a shaman or a doctor. You're playing fairies in the woods.

End rant.... ish.

Sorry but this is over the top. Obviously a lot more important to you than the rest of us heathens.

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405280 01/15/20 04:56 PM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Use kratom for migraines, also Restless Leg Syndrome, also for pain, also for getting off of opiates.

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405315 01/15/20 05:29 PM
T
TR176 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Does honey locust have any use besides injuring anybody that gets near it?

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: fishslime] #13405318 01/15/20 05:33 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by fishslime
GD Hippy froo froo wannabes just make me want to beat them bloody.

Y'all know I teach wild foods and medicines. I learned this from people who had to know it before modern medicine was honestly even invented, much less available here in the wild west of Texas 100+ years ago. I have stories of uses in my head from almost 200 years ago on the damn Trail of Tears. We HAD TO know this to survive.

I'm also the family hospice nurse. I would stay with family in the hospital as their patient advocate, then I would bring them home and care for them, and I would ease their passage into heaven. I have treated many cases of diabetic gangrene, various end stage cancers, wounds that would not heal.

And this GD hippy "big pharma" [censored] where they're wanting to leave modern medicine behind to go back to using plants, but not knowing what they are, what they actually do or why, and wanting to cure sh*t with the spiritual vibrations of plants and rocks and sht just makes me want to take a switch to them and beat until they come to their senses. You can EITHER peel willow stems, cut into 1" lengths, boil down gently for an hour, or soak for 3 weeks, and drink that liquid, OR YOU CAN TAKE A FKING ASPRIN.

Science is the careful observation, testing, and recording of the natural world. We find a plant that works. We observe then extract the useful compound from the plant while discarding the either useless, or counterproductive parts. That leaves us with the pure form that we can then properly dose for just enough to be effective without overdosing the patient. You can't tell me how much useful properties are in one leaf to the next, much less how much you need to use. But we now have these people who want to teach medicinal plants as though they are experts at it, when they can't tell me the active compounds that we are using. They can't tell me WHY you would feed a plug of tobacco to a horse or why you would sprinkle a little bit around and in the hole for a newly planted tree. These are people who swear by organic because it's "chemical free".

I teach to preserve knowledge. I am extremely careful to not teach the dangerous stuff that we had to know in order to save lives. And then I see these idiots wanting to use dangerous treatments that I know better than to use because "big pharma". Go to the damn doctor. Get it taken care of before it turns into gangrene or something worse. And stop acting like it's spiritual. You're not a shaman or a doctor. You're playing fairies in the woods.

End rant.... ish.

Sorry but this is over the top. Obviously a lot more important to you than the rest of us heathens.

Got anything that is untraceable in an autopsy? Asking for a friend

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Fish Chaser] #13405366 01/15/20 06:34 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted by Fish Chaser
Use kratom for migraines, also Restless Leg Syndrome, also for pain, also for getting off of opiates.

Passionflower tea or tincture depending on the strength needed for opiates and restless leg and insomnia

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405379 01/15/20 06:45 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Any good uses for pine needles?

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405389 01/15/20 07:00 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Vitamin C hit in the early spring when they're young and green. Chew on them or make a tea with hot but not boiling water.

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405400 01/15/20 07:10 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Vitamin C hit in the early spring when they're young and green. Chew on them or make a tea with hot but not boiling water.

cheers

https://www.wildedible.com/pine-needle-tea-natural-vitamin-c

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: Kattelyn] #13405409 01/15/20 07:18 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
so youre sayin that if I rub a bunch of beauty berries around my junk the bugs will leave me alone?

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: lconn4] #13405798 01/16/20 02:24 AM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by lconn4
Any good uses for pine needles?

Rub them on a teenagers palms to keep hair from growing there.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: Medicinal plant knowledge rant [Re: senko9S] #13405800 01/16/20 02:25 AM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by senko9S
so youre sayin that if I rub a bunch of beauty berries around my junk the bugs will leave me alone?

JayQ wants to know if that works for the herp.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide