Page 1 of 2 1 2
Livescope Question(s) #13403897 01/14/20 01:18 PM
C
crapicat Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
C
Ok, so most of the forum discussions to date, seem to revolve around “to own or not to own”. I have another type of question. Let’s say for example, you decided to Browse all the website information on livescope. It would surely be a daunting task, without much good information on preferred setups, available option trade offs, needed items, etc. So, the question, where do you got to get that sort of information? Seems like Garmin, is missing the boat, in that department. Or maybe I just didn’t search the correct website (after looking for half a day on the subject).

I am sure that there are some forum gurus, that know such things...but I would like to hear some of your specific considerations, suggestions, war stories, from the guys that have been through the process and wished they done better, did great, etc.

Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13403907 01/14/20 01:30 PM
donothin Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Good question. I bought a unit but it was a fly by the seat of your pants decision. I got the 12 inch screen but did not get the touchscreen as I didn't know there was an option. Lots of videos, but most of screen shots or of someone reeling in a fish which are fun to watch but not very helpful for setting up. Garmin offers little help online or with the instructions that they send. It was easy to install.

Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13403908 01/14/20 01:31 PM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Check out BBC there is an electronics forum that covers most manufacturers.

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13403916 01/14/20 01:35 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Tons of info on Facebook. There are several Garmin electronics board there.

Biggest issues I see...

Not installing minimum 10 GA stranded marine wire direct from cranking battery to run module.

Running livescope on trolling motor batteries...interference, and its hard on the head unit every time the trolling motor activates..it draws power, or when deactivated, it spikes the voltage. Electronics are sensitive to voltage changes.

Cranking battery not big enough. You need a minimum Group 31 cranking battery to run livescope all day with other electronics, livewells, and still start the main engine...or a separate battery.

Fail to update units immediately after installation.

Use zip ties to secure transducer cable.

Last edited by Gamblinman; 01/14/20 01:49 PM.
Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13403947 01/14/20 01:57 PM
Palestino Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Go to Youtube. Several Set up videos there. I have the 1242xsv not touch screen. Show exactly how to set up and adjust settings. Trolling motor shaft mount and/or Poleducer mount is just a matter of preference. Russell Marine also has good set up videos on install and use of livescope. Also I have run my livescope all day off my cranking battery. Direct 10ga wire from battery. Never had a problem with unit shutting down or motor not cranking after all day constant use.

Garmin website is not much help. Russell Marine and Youtube are the best information outside of getting a guide that has livescope and getting their knowledge on set up and use.

Purdy 2011 Nitro Z9DC, Merc 250 Pro XS, Bob's Hydraulic, Bravo 1, HDS Gen 3, HDS Live, Garmin Livescope, Twin 10'Power Pole Blades
Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13403966 01/14/20 02:13 PM
shut-up-and-fish Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

You will here a lot on touch screen vs non touch screen. My theory on it is you still have to take your finger to the unit and touch either buttons or the screen. It is simply a different way of navigating the menus. Me personally do not utilize touch screen and if the unit is dedicated LiveScope only you will not be making a ton of adjustments. The Gain and Forward Range are going to be the two main things you will adjust throughout the day. The GPSMAP models make this very easy with the dial and is much faster over touch in making those adjustments.
On the display size go as big as your budget allows.
If you have questions feel free to give me a call. My number is below in my signature and we would be happy to chat with you live.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13404009 01/14/20 02:49 PM
A
ARKMAY Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Very easy plug and play with few adjustments. Question, how to record live screan shots with active captain. I have the app and everything set up and the latest update installed.
Thanks and enjoy the revolution!

Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13404230 01/14/20 05:43 PM
C
CrappieXpress Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I agree with you on the research part. There is little to no information or comparisons on the different screen options that are out there and why you would use one versus the other. The livescope box is what it is you just have to pick a monitor that works for your application. I personally watched countless YouTube videos and read reviews before buying mine. I also spoke with David at [censored] up and fish to poll his opinion on the screen options as well. I ultimately chose the non touch 1022 and am very happy with my setup. As mentioned above, there is very little adjustment needed if being used as a dedicated livescope monitor so the touch functionality was less important to me.

Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13404346 01/14/20 07:13 PM
ThaDudeAbides Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Maybe it should be a Sticky post on the front page of the Crappie Thread (All Things Livescope). I have found a facebook group called Livescope Addicts and you will get lots of responses to questions very quickly. And you can search the other posts easily because good chance someone has already asked your question. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2142054069149679/?ref=bookmarks

I agree with you that it is good to try and future proof your purchase when we are talking big dollars like this investment.

**Professional amateur crappie fisherman**

1997 Nitro Savage 896, 200 HP Mercury EFI, Garmin Force, Garmin GPSMAP 1022 w/ Livescope, Garmin Ultra 122sv, Garmin 93
Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13404862 01/15/20 02:57 AM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Livescope is not hard to learn to USE

Intrepreting what you are seeing takes a little more time.

Learning what bait presentations work and what usually does not takes a lot longer but you will quickly dispel some of what you thought you knew about how crappie react to different things. You will also stop spending time fishing where there ain't no fish.

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: lurenthewind] #13404980 01/15/20 11:21 AM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by lurenthewind
Livescope is not hard to learn to USE

Intrepreting what you are seeing takes a little more time.

Learning what bait presentations work and what usually does not takes a lot longer but you will quickly dispel some of what you thought you knew about how crappie react to different things. You will also stop spending time fishing where there ain't no fish.

Wayne

Agreed with Wayne. Just like anything else, time on the water gets you to 90% of what you'll need to know. The other 10% gets rounded out by youtube, FB site, etc... that's my experience.
Tim

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13405139 01/15/20 03:06 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I used the mount from Fishing Specialties , and a 12 inch , non touch display. That saved me $600. on that unit vs the touch screen.
I mounted the black box under the front deck . I have a blue wave , 22 center console , with side by side seating
just aft of the front deck.. I never fish off the deck anymore. The display unit is on a ram mount , on the floor of the front deck
which puts it at arms length from the chair. The mount for the tranducer is mounted on the deck , again within reach of my chair.
It just lifts out when you move , very user friendly.

The only settings I ever change are the forward looking distance ( 15 to 20 while fishing , 60 ft while searching and gain( 75 while fishing , bumped up while searching ).

I am no expert , but I have really enjoyed using the livescope.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13405616 01/15/20 11:17 PM
R
Rnelson Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Set up was really easy and it doesn't take very long to learn the settings. I do find myself looking at the screen too much instead of fishing but that's ok as long as their is water around me.

You will need battery independent from everything else to run live scope. Period.... With my mounts and poledance more than likely I would budget another $300-500 extra depending on the battery.

It's expensive but in all not bad compared to my other hobby "quail hunting"

Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: Gamblinman] #13405813 01/16/20 02:36 AM
C
crapicat Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
C
I have been wondering about optimal screen size. It would seem that a 9 inch screen is plenty, but I see Garmin really trying to upsize their screen offerings. It seems they get rather pricy very quickly. From a pixel perspective, quality of screen, image perspective what is the best option? I am wondering if it is necessary or justifiable on a dedicated livescope only type setup, to upsize. Basically, are Garmin units, sans the livescope, really all that good relative to other popular manufacturers? Also, I can’t wrap my head around purchasing a head unit without getting the normal transducer, as they seem to only drop $125 off the price. Not sure I have ever purchased a replacement transducer for $125. Finally, do you guys recommend linking your troller to your your normal head unit or should/can it be linked to the livescope?

Gamblinman, I appreciate your words on dedicated battery. I did that last year, when I installed a 360 unit. I highly recommend that setup, as well.

Any rate, thanks for all the information to date, and should you come up with thoughts on my lingering questions, please respond, as I highly appreciate all responses!

Last edited by crapicat; 01/16/20 02:37 AM.
Re: Livescope Question(s) [Re: crapicat] #13405983 01/16/20 11:33 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Buy the biggest screen that your budget allows. Yes, it makes a difference.

I would use a dedicated head unit for livescope only, and use another unit for GPS/ 2D sonar, and linking to your trolling motor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide