karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
1. Paddle tail, your choice. SA, H&H, DSL
2. Topwater, your choice Rapala, Heddon, Mirrorlure
3. Suspending/slow sinker, your choice
4. Spoon, your choice
5. A lifelike shrimp/scented type, your choice.

That’s sort of a summary of what I read from the posts, although some like a fast sinking plug too.

Presentation normally trumps anything else such as color or brand, but that’s not always the case in my experience. But most of the time when I fish the same water with friends none of us are starting out with the same lure. We might only go, reluctantly, to the same thing if and only if one specific type is proving to be the one thing that will work.

Everyone has confidence lures and occasionally even those might not be the thing so it’s good to get some other things into action.

Ultimately, fish the lures you enjoy fishing. There might be multiple ways to get the fish on any given day, but you might enjoy bumping and jigging a paddle tail while your partner likes walking the dog with a topwater.

Re: Top 5 Inshore Lures [Re: karstopo] #13413448 01/23/20 01:35 AM
C
chapcat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by karstopo
1. Paddle tail, your choice. SA, H&H, DSL
2. Topwater, your choice Rapala, Heddon, Mirrorlure
3. Suspending/slow sinker, your choice
4. Spoon, your choice
5. A lifelike shrimp/scented type, your choice.

That’s sort of a summary of what I read from the posts, although some like a fast sinking plug too.

Presentation normally trumps anything else such as color or brand, but that’s not always the case in my experience. But most of the time when I fish the same water with friends none of us are starting out with the same lure. We might only go, reluctantly, to the same thing if and only if one specific type is proving to be the one thing that will work.

Everyone has confidence lures and occasionally even those might not be the thing so it’s good to get some other things into action.

Ultimately, fish the lures you enjoy fishing. There might be multiple ways to get the fish on any given day, but you might enjoy bumping and jigging a paddle tail while your partner likes walking the dog with a topwater.

Me exactly. I have been using the Tsunami paddle tails lately, along with 4.5" H&H Cocahoes. Spooks, Johnson spoons, Mirrolures and Vudu shrimp are all go to lures, and always in my box as well.

Re: Top 5 Inshore Lures [Re: Beer Money] #13413600 01/23/20 10:28 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I think the various paddle tails are interesting. They all have a little different action. The DSL, old hackberry hustler type vibrate a little different than some of the bigger type paddle tails. H&H Queen cocahoe tails have a big wobble. Norton, my friend fishes those bull minnows a lot. Working a paddle tail or a straight tail is fun, trying to get the pace and pauses right. I like Norton for straight/rat type tails, DSL is my little wobble paddle tail, Saltwater Assassin my medium wobble, H&H my big wobble. I usually start out with the assassins and see where that takes things. Sometimes, you can get dialed in on the presentation and if the fish are there...it makes for a extra fun day.

Re: Top 5 Inshore Lures [Re: Beer Money] #13430297 02/07/20 09:07 AM
L
Lindsey Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Aransas Pass/Port Aransas

Zman Razor ShadZ
Rapala Skitterwalk SSW-11
Norton Bull Minnow
Norton Sand Eel
Troutsupport Grasswalker

I prefer 1/8 oz jigheads for most applications. I've found the Bass Assassin jighead to be the most durable. Tandem rigging is always a great option if the bite isn't as hot as you'd like it to be. Color really doesn't matter IMO, just pick a couple you have confidence. If I could say one thing about color, its that I prefer ligher colors during bright conditions, and darker colors during darker conditions. But it may not matter at all. While you limited the list to 5, the 5 I listed are just what I throw most often. Any kind of Paul Brown (Corky) or weedless spoon is a good bet any time any place. Downsizing can be really effective too. Sometimes trout are on a glass minnow feed, and they'll turn their nose up at your best live bait offering. Try panfish soft plastics with 1/16 oz jigheads rigged tandem and thank me later.

I'm not a chick.
Re: Top 5 Inshore Lures [Re: Beer Money] #13440868 02/15/20 11:21 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Matagorda, Palacious, and Indianola. I throw a lot of different hardware, but three that will always be in my box are silver Sprite spoon, gold Sprite spoon, and a double-rigged Cocoho minnow in red and white. I guess these are my go-to "confidence" lures.

SD

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide