If you are looking for staging fish or newly migrated fish from winter, what depth do you concentrate at?
For arguments sake, lets say you have 2โ water clarity, 55 degree water temp, and full pool stable.
I am wondering if you still cast to the bank or a little deeper.
This is exactly what I do with my Mapping Techniques. It is a long and drawn out process of studying the most Irregular Contours on a lake. These contours mean everything to the fish at all the stages that they will go through. I use these same contours during the winter feeding patterns, to the Spring Spawn and into the Summer patterns where I am looking for the top water bite during the early Summer. How to fish each of these patterns is a whole other ball game which I call; Developing a System that best supplements your style of fishing. Most fishermen never put the time in on the water to develop this system to its highest degree.
- Irregular Contours will produce fish year round and it takes lots of looking to find them.
- Contour lines will hold the irregular features that will produce big fish called Hot Spots on both sides and the front slope of the contour that leads to deep water.
- Big Bass just do not travel very far to do there thing during all seasons along this route; so they live close by on this same contour.
- The more compact that these contour routes are the higher the percentage the area will be for producing fish.
- These Irregular Contours show up in many different areas of your lake like: The River Channel Swing, Longest Points Leading To Deep Water, Creek Channel Swings, Creek Bends especially S-Bends, Gouges, Drains and Protrusions.
- All of these eventually connect to the shoreline in some way and usually provide that highway for staging and to bring fish to the shallows.
- You want to be fishing these high percentage areas at different seasons of the year and the key is timing. You have to be there at the right time of the day to intercept them.
I have written articles on both following Bass, From Shallow To Deep and Developing a System. If you cannot use the search function to locate the post please contact me with an Email Address and I will shoot you the articles on both.
OR: I can post them again. They are a long read.