texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 120,999
TexDawg 119,782
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,322
Mark Perry 72,484
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,874
Posts13,954,594
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? #13397809 01/09/20 01:44 PM
J
Jack46 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
The Oxygenator test is real easy and simple to do.

The Oxygenator salesman at Bass Pro Shops told me to do this: Open your livewell lid and look at your fish or live bait… if they all look comfortable in the livewell like gold fish in a fish tank, your Oxygenator is working correctly and generating enough oxygen.

BUT, If your fish or live bait look stressed, red nose, some belly-up and dying or at the surface of the water piping and gulping air… your Oxygenator is definitely not working correctly; it is not generating enough dissolved oxygen and your Oxygenator is not working.

So always look at your fish and bait because their behavior in the livewell will tell you loud and clear if your Oxygenator is working correctly or not working at all. Diagnosing a problem with your Oxygenator is a no-brainer if you are not blind.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: Jack46] #13397821 01/09/20 01:58 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Even if it is “working”, there is no REAL way to tell if it’s working. That’s the magic of an oxygenater. Lol.

Nothing works better than a livewell full of water that gets refreshed constantly and has the circulation on auto.

Sounds to me like the Bass Pro salesmen used to work at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

The Oxygenater is an enhancement (a poor one at that) to a properly working livewell system. Nothing more. Possibly less.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13397831 01/09/20 02:09 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Even if it is “working”, there is no REAL way to tell if it’s working. That’s the magic of an oxygenater. Lol.

Nothing works better than a livewell full of water that gets refreshed constantly and has the circulation on auto.

Sounds to me like the Bass Pro salesmen used to work at Nebraska Furniture Mart.

The Oxygenater is an enhancement (a poor one at that) to a properly working livewell system. Nothing more. Possibly less.

NAILED IT

Jesus loves all of us
Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: Jack46] #13398105 01/09/20 06:28 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Have to agree with Steez above^^^^^^. That said to actually test your Oxygenator just turn it on. This can be done in your driveway. 1. Fill livewell. 2. Turn on Oxygenator. 3. Watch for the tiny air bubbles rising through the water. Can be done at the lake as long as the water is not to murky. That means it works.....but does it really “work”? I have one only because it came on my Ranger 521. I have heard all the arguments for and against the Oxygenators but I have never seen an actual study where the dissolved O2 in the water was measured with the system OFF and then ON to prove if it actually “WORKS” by increasing dissolved O2 in the water. Not saying there’s not proof out there but I have not seen it. When mine is ON tiny air bubbles rise through the water column in the livewell and appear to escape into the atmosphere. Without data I believe it is “WORKING” but doesn’t actually “WORK”. Good news though: with all the Global Warming, Green Initiatives, deforesting of the rain forests.....if everyone would purchase and run their Oxygenators we would help the planet by putting more oxygen into the atmosphere! laugh

Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: Jack46] #13398126 01/09/20 06:39 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
anytime I have bass, I run my aerators on full blast and the livewell fill on auto with minimal time between bursts. I have the oxygenators but have zero faith in them. everytime I clean them with CLR, it doesn't take long for them to cake up again. they are useless imo.

Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: 361V] #13398312 01/09/20 08:59 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by 361V
Have to agree with Steez above^^^^^^. That said to actually test your Oxygenator just turn it on. This can be done in your driveway. 1. Fill livewell. 2. Turn on Oxygenator. 3. Watch for the tiny air bubbles rising through the water. Can be done at the lake as long as the water is not to murky. That means it works.....but does it really “work”? I have one only because it came on my Ranger 521. I have heard all the arguments for and against the Oxygenators but I have never seen an actual study where the dissolved O2 in the water was measured with the system OFF and then ON to prove if it actually “WORKS” by increasing dissolved O2 in the water. Not saying there’s not proof out there but I have not seen it. When mine is ON tiny air bubbles rise through the water column in the livewell and appear to escape into the atmosphere. Without data I believe it is “WORKING” but doesn’t actually “WORK”. Good news though: with all the Global Warming, Green Initiatives, deforesting of the rain forests.....if everyone would purchase and run their Oxygenators we would help the planet by putting more oxygen into the atmosphere! laugh

Everything I have ever read doesn't say they don't work it's just that running the aerators in your livewell does more for the fish than those devices. The two working together would seem to be a good thing if you have them. The way I take it is if you have them great but don't waste your money on them if you don't.

Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: Jack46] #13398346 01/09/20 09:29 PM
J
jnogreen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Oxygen is relatively insoluble in water, its solubility being only 264 μM
μM
at 25 o C
25oC
. That explains in part why you (and fish) require dedicated oxygen carriers in your blood to transfer sufficient oxygen around your body.

That oxygen is weakly soluble can be explained, as you point out, on the basis of the hydrophobic effect, which amounts to saying that water likes to hydrogen bond, and an oxygen molecule is not very good at that compared to another water molecule.

That oxygen is soluble at all can be explained on two grounds. First, statistics, just the random mixing of matter. Some oxygen molecules will happen to find their way into water and not find their way out for a while. The other explanation is that oxygen is not entirely nonpolar: it lacks a permanent dipole moment, but it is polarizable. Even molecules that we think of as highly water repellent can exist as liquids (oxygen is a gas at room temperature but can be cooled into a liquid state), which means something must be keeping them together, and that is dispersion forces due to the polarizability of all atoms and molecules.

Fishing is....
Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: Jack46] #13398371 01/09/20 09:58 PM
Tyler822 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Exactly

Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: jnogreen] #13398374 01/09/20 09:59 PM
B
boyd1002 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by jnogreen
μM
at 25 o C
25oC
. That explains in part why you (and fish) require dedicated oxygen carriers in your blood to transfer sufficient oxygen around your body.

That oxygen is weakly soluble can be explained, as you point out, on the basis of the hydrophobic effect, which amounts to saying that water likes to hydrogen bond, and an oxygen molecule is not very good at that compared to another water molecule.

That oxygen is soluble at all can be explained on two grounds. First, statistics, just the random mixing of matter. Some oxygen molecules will happen to find their way into water and not find their way out for a while. The other explanation is that oxygen is not entirely nonpolar: it lacks a permanent dipole moment, but it is polarizable. Even molecules that we think of as highly water repellent can exist as liquids (oxygen is a gas at room temperature but can be cooled into a liquid state), which means something must be keeping them together, and that is dispersion forces due to the polarizability of all atoms and molecules.

I was about to say that and you beat me to it.

Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: Jack46] #13398391 01/09/20 10:11 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
yup! I was typing all that and he beat me, too!! dang ol scientic matter of oxygen equivalents gone wild!

Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13398447 01/09/20 11:03 PM
TajChauvin Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

I don’t run an oxygenator but having those pumps working On auto sure does the trick in my boat. Once I tried to manually manage my pumps to save a bad battery and it cost me with some dead fish.

One thing I’ll add to the original post is to look at the position of your fish in the livewell. If they are on the bottom wirh their nose down then your system is in great shape.

Re: How to know if your Oxygenator is working properly? [Re: jnogreen] #13398744 01/10/20 03:25 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by jnogreen
μM
at 25 o C
25oC

Please explain the bubbles in my beer. Their are no wires coming from the bottle.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide