Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review #13394578 01/06/20 04:45 PM
BlueNitro Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I was finally able to lake test the Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor on my boat and wanted to pass along my thoughts anyway. Me and a friend was on Fork on Saturday so there was a 7 - 10 mph wind and constant chop

- This thing is the 'BOMB'!
- Very solidly built and should last for years to come.
- Very powerful and I was only running it on 24 volts
- Very quiet at the motor and the control head. It does make some noise when you/it makes a big sweep/turn but small adjustments is very quiet (such as on spotlock).
- Very accurate while on spotlock. This is what I was most concerned on when I bought it because it was so new that nobody could give me a definitive answer to my questions. So to check it for myself I tossed a buoy and then eased up to it and spotlocked to see how far it would move from the buoy - results were less than a foot. I was also impressed that when I spotlocked over a submerged tree, it didn't seem the take any extra time to get to the spot and stay on the spot (now this is somewhat dependent on how much you are still moving at the time that you hit the spotlock).
- The pedal is very easy to use and quite comfortable to use while standing. My only gripe is it is hard to see the numbers on the dial if you are anywhere off to the left of center of the pedal.
- The deploy/retracting of the motor is awesome - very easy to do.
- The unit looks good on the boat.

Here is what I wasn't happy with:

- No 'go to' waypoint function like a properly set up Xi5/Gateway. I'm used to this feature from my Xi5 and just wish it would have been included for what it cost.
- My front graph did not work which is more than likely on my side but the installation/operational instructions are rather pedestrian and I will have to either figure it out or dig for the information through some other source.

So all in all, I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend the Lowrance Ghost to anyone who is thinking of getting one. Like I said, "This thing is the 'BOMB'!"

I got my Ghost from Brig Hennessey at https://hennesseyoutdoorelectronics.com/ which had the best price and is a great guy to deal with. I have also purchased my HDS Live graph from him and a couple other things and each time has been a pleasure to work with so I highly recommend you give him a call to order yours.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13394612 01/06/20 05:04 PM
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
BTW - if anyone is looking for a good deal on a MG Xi5, check this out - https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...08/motor-guide-xi5-1-350-00#Post13394408

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13394644 01/06/20 05:24 PM
J
JWC74 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I agree. My Dad and I just purchased one a few weeks ago and made our maiden voyage with the ghost Saturday. We were both really impressed! We ran ours on 36V and it would nearly get our 21’ boat on plane. We’re talking about going back to 24V since it has so much power and we can eliminate the weight and cost of an extra battery. One thing I’d like to add is the battery level indicator, it’s a nice feature. We fished at Fork all day using the trolling motor a lot with the spot lock set and the batteries still had a high leveled charge left. So it really does use a lot less battery with the brushless motor.

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13395763 01/07/20 06:26 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Not being able to go to waypoints is a deal breaker for me.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: Mo] #13395783 01/07/20 06:36 PM
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Mo
Not being able to go to waypoints is a deal breaker for me.

MO

I got an email from Brig who said that there is an update coming that will allow me to control the motor thru my graph. Not sure if that means we will have the 'Go To' like we are accustomed to with the Xi5.

www.liftsavertmmount.com

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13396178 01/08/20 12:16 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Thanks for the review. I'm running an Xi5 as well I've been thinking of upgrading to this tm but have to wait until they come out with a 60" shaft.

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13396336 01/08/20 01:49 AM
shut-up-and-fish Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Final testing for these features was completed 1st of Jan. We should see the update released any day now.

Ron, don't forget:

Save up to $500 with the Lowrance Ultimate Fishing System Upgrade. Get a Prepaid Mastercard up to $400 with purchase of HDS LIVE Display. Plus an additional $100 with a purchase of a LiveSight Sonar or StructureScan 3D Transducer or Ghost Trolling Motor.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shut-up-and-fish; 01/08/20 02:09 AM.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13396919 01/08/20 05:20 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I'm with Mo. Go to wpt is a deal breaker. I understand the excitement but your review (thanks) also cited issues: documentation, graph not working , etc. Please keep reporting. I am quite pleased with my Xi5 so the Ghost or any other TM has to hit it out of the ballpark for me.

I'd like to see a side-by-side feature comparison of the Xi5/Ghost (great name) to determine the real difference. If a comparison is available online, just point me there.

And more importantly, in a year's time, how many more crappie will Ghost allow to be caught than the Xi5? duel

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: UJC] #13397812 01/09/20 01:45 PM
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by UJC
I'm with Mo. Go to wpt is a deal breaker. I understand the excitement but your review (thanks) also cited issues: documentation, graph not working , etc. Please keep reporting. I am quite pleased with my Xi5 so the Ghost or any other TM has to hit it out of the ballpark for me.

I'd like to see a side-by-side feature comparison of the Xi5/Ghost (great name) to determine the real difference. If a comparison is available online, just point me there.

And more importantly, in a year's time, how many more crappie will Ghost allow to be caught than the Xi5? duel

I believe that it will be part of the update. I'll report back once it's out and I do it.

We will throw a buoy and both hit spotlock at the same time and see if there is any discernible difference but I believe that there will be. You fishing Palestine?

The reason I am switching is to be able to timber fish more efficiently with a foot controlled TM as compared to the Xi5. I struggled trying to fish like I wanted to by 'ghosting' through the timber looking for specific fish while using the remote on the Xi5 and the foot pedal was worthless to me. To me, the Ultrex was loud, moved a lot more while on spotlock and did not hold as tight as the Xi5 or else I would have been using it on my boat. I believe the Ghost has eliminated those issues for me.

www.liftsavertmmount.com

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #13398241 01/09/20 07:57 PM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

Final testing for these features was completed 1st of Jan. We should see the update released any day now.

Ron, don't forget:

Save up to $500 with the Lowrance Ultimate Fishing System Upgrade. Get a Prepaid Mastercard up to $400 with purchase of HDS LIVE Display. Plus an additional $100 with a purchase of a LiveSight Sonar or StructureScan 3D Transducer or Ghost Trolling Motor.

[Linked Image]

5K? 6?? I can't even imagine

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13398400 01/09/20 10:16 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
no remote yet, and no jog feature. that was nice on the ultrex with the 5' jog in any direction. I did see a guy set up a route on his graph with this new update that will come out. it was online. so the goto or follow route function is definitely possible. they really need to revamp that little keyfob remote they hae shown and make a decent one with the jog function included! livescope folks need to be able to jog over without a total reset of locking the spot.
otherwise, I absolutely love my Ghost. it is a LOT quitter than the Ultrex I had, grabs the spot quicker and stays tighter to the spot, will hold right under the edge of a bridge, doesn't jump all over the place in light/no wind like the ultrex did. Ultrex would almost throw me out of the boat with no wind on spotlock. I am very pleased with my GHOST purchase. its a beautiful tank! built to last!

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13403050 01/13/20 09:08 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Ron, yes we do plan to fish Palestine. That would be an interesting side-by-side comparison. But for me the go-to is a big deal with the way I fish. Even if the Ghost's Stop Here is better, it would have to be a huge difference as I am quite pleased with the Xi5 Anchoring. I had the original Terrova Spot Lock and it wasn't anywhere near the Xi5 Anchoring so perhaps I think my anchoring is great because the Terrova sucked big time. After installing LS, I might have a different opinion.

See ya soon.

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: UJC] #13403883 01/14/20 01:01 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by UJC

So Jimmy, that is the exact question I pondered...when I decided to quit using menners...once I did I caught many more crappie! Which is also why I run a terranova...but I’d do appreciate reading the reviews, and your opinion!

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13411288 01/21/20 02:27 PM
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Update - the Point one on the graph not working was my fault and had nothing to do with the Ghost. I failed to properly hook in to the NMEA Tee.

I talked to a Lowrance rep and they are going to send out the update soon and it will include the 'Go To' ability.

I knew that the Ghost would not communicate with the Gen 2 HDS 9 that I had on the bow so I added a 9" Ti2 which will work with the Ghost/update.

www.liftsavertmmount.com

Re: Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor Review [Re: BlueNitro] #13412861 01/22/20 06:16 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted by BlueNitro
Update - the Point one on the graph not working was my fault and had nothing to do with the Ghost. I failed to properly hook in to the NMEA Tee.

I talked to a Lowrance rep and they are going to send out the update soon and it will include the 'Go To' ability.

I knew that the Ghost would not communicate with the Gen 2 HDS 9 that I had on the bow so I added a 9" Ti2 which will work with the Ghost/update.

'Soon' as in Congressional time or like next week, which is soon to me. lols.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide