Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sharelunker - Genetic Testing #13384193 12/27/19 03:49 PM
H2O Seeker Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
This does not address the "where" question posted a couple weeks ago but does address the "how" a bit and the potential of the program. It would be interesting to see more data like this and a geneology based on the DNA over time. The outcomes are there but more time will have to pass to really see the benefits.

Lunker Genes

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: H2O Seeker] #13384243 12/27/19 04:25 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Interesting and I guess good news that the program has worked on some level.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: H2O Seeker] #13384256 12/27/19 04:42 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
some level... remember when you got a biology degree? no, cause you didn't. Tom is a Tff,er.

Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: senko9S] #13384333 12/27/19 06:34 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by senko9S
some level... remember when you got a biology degree? no, cause you didn't. Tom is a Tff,er.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: senko9S] #13384337 12/27/19 06:38 PM
H2O Seeker Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler

If I follow you are referenceing the 'Tom' from the article? Regardless of his background he was utilized as the mouthpiece for the data inquiry. This doesn't impact the data findings.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: H2O Seeker] #13384859 12/28/19 06:20 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Great article on the success of the SAL program and how it has helped a mudhole like Marine Creek produce two giants (and other DD bass) that otherwise would have never happened.

I have been a long time supporter of the SAL program. Yes, I know there have been some flaws to the program and many fish have died while in captivity. Anytime a large bass dies in captivity it is kind of like the NFL kicker that misses the game winning field goal. The whole fishing community hears about it. Many of these fish over 13 pounds are old fish, 10-15 years of age that may very well have died anyway after being caught, handling for pictures and released back into the wild. How long do you think these fish live??

My point is that nobody would ever know if they died after being released back into the lake.

I have said it before and I stand by my statement that bass fishing in Texas is better in the long run because of the SAL program. All lakes peak in 15-20 years then begin to decline as a fishery. I know there are some of you that theorize that if you leave the bass alone in their natural environment they will grow to massive proportions and every year they will keep getting bigger & bigger. After watching a bunch of lakes in Texas over the past 50 years I am here to tell you that the chances of you catching a 25# five fish bag is much greater today than it ever was before the program started in Nov of 1986. The efforts of TPWD are largely the reason.

Ray Hubbard is a prime example. I caught a 7lb 7oz bass in a high school event in Jan 1975. It made the front page of the Dallas Morning News. Seven pound bass were rare animals in the 70's and even 80's at Hubbard, Cedar Creek, Tawakoni. A 5# bass raised eyebrows back then. Now a 7 pounder doesn't get a second look. Why do you think that is? Do you think just because the lake is 50-60 years old they finally started growing bigger bass?? Doesn't work that way folks.

The Florida genetics from the SAL bass have enhanced the overall health in most of the lakes in our state. I am a firm believer that if it weren't for Florida genes spread into other Texas lakes from the SAL program, you would see five fish events won with 12-15 pounds like the 80's. If you want to see evidence of how much better the bass fishing is in TX, go to a lake out of state that has never had any Florida genes introduced. Five fish 20# pound bags are unheard of.

Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: H2O Seeker] #13385217 12/28/19 07:58 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

If I follow you are referenceing the 'Tom' from the article? Regardless of his background he was utilized as the mouthpiece for the data inquiry. This doesn't impact the data findings.

I have no idea what Senko was talking about. If he thought my post was bashing the program or Tom, it wasn’t.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13386066 12/29/19 02:28 PM
H2O Seeker Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

I have no idea what Senko was talking about. If he thought my post was bashing the program or Tom, it wasn’t.

thumb It's all good!

[Linked Image]
Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: H2O Seeker] #13387245 12/30/19 01:18 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
The new ShareLunker app has detailed description of how to submit genetic information for you catches over 8lbs. It'll help them better understand how ShareLunker genetics are spreading through our lake systems. It's a pretty simple process. The more data these guys have, the better the program will be. I plan to participate in 2020. Now I just need a pile of 8lb+ fish!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: Jpurdue] #13387246 12/30/19 01:25 PM
H2O Seeker Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
The new ShareLunker app has detailed description of how to submit genetic information for you catches over 8lbs. It'll help them better understand how ShareLunker genetics are spreading through our lake systems. It's a pretty simple process. The more data these guys have, the better the program will be. I plan to participate in 2020. Now I just need a pile of 8lb+ fish!

You and me both sir! Happy hunting!

[Linked Image]
Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: Ken A.] #13387253 12/30/19 01:45 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Great article on the success of the SAL program and how it has helped a mudhole like Marine Creek produce two giants (and other DD bass) that otherwise would have never happened.

I have been a long time supporter of the SAL program. Yes, I know there have been some flaws to the program and many fish have died while in captivity. Anytime a large bass dies in captivity it is kind of like the NFL kicker that misses the game winning field goal. The whole fishing community hears about it. Many of these fish over 13 pounds are old fish, 10-15 years of age that may very well have died anyway after being caught, handling for pictures and released back into the wild. How long do you think these fish live??

My point is that nobody would ever know if they died after being released back into the lake.

I have said it before and I stand by my statement that bass fishing in Texas is better in the long run because of the SAL program. All lakes peak in 15-20 years then begin to decline as a fishery. I know there are some of you that theorize that if you leave the bass alone in their natural environment they will grow to massive proportions and every year they will keep getting bigger & bigger. After watching a bunch of lakes in Texas over the past 50 years I am here to tell you that the chances of you catching a 25# five fish bag is much greater today than it ever was before the program started in Nov of 1986. The efforts of TPWD are largely the reason.

Ray Hubbard is a prime example. I caught a 7lb 7oz bass in a high school event in Jan 1975. It made the front page of the Dallas Morning News. Seven pound bass were rare animals in the 70's and even 80's at Hubbard, Cedar Creek, Tawakoni. A 5# bass raised eyebrows back then. Now a 7 pounder doesn't get a second look. Why do you think that is? Do you think just because the lake is 50-60 years old they finally started growing bigger bass?? Doesn't work that way folks.

The Florida genetics from the SAL bass have enhanced the overall health in most of the lakes in our state. I am a firm believer that if it weren't for Florida genes spread into other Texas lakes from the SAL program, you would see five fish events won with 12-15 pounds like the 80's. If you want to see evidence of how much better the bass fishing is in TX, go to a lake out of state that has never had any Florida genes introduced. Five fish 20# pound bags are unheard of.

This is absolutely correct and very well stated.

Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13387258 12/30/19 01:58 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

I’m not trolling here, it’s a serious question because I’m not near as “aged” as some of you guys. I have an older buddy (65) that talks about the old days and after the tournaments, there was traditionally a giant fish fry with ALL of the bass that were caught. I’ve never asked him what year this stopped, but I know it was sometime in the 80’s. I’m sure the SAL program has helped some areas, but what about just regular conservation from over the years?

Again, I wasn’t fishing back when these were being caught. The fish at Fork that have the records, they were regular Florida strain, not hybrids? If the SAL genetics are helping so much, how come nothings being topped?

Keep in mind, I’m not in North Texas, so I’m not sure how much influence the SAL program has on Falcon, Amistad, Choke. Seems like we are solely dependent on rain, which never seems to fall around here. bang

I’m not bashing the SAL program, because I’m sure it has helped some lakes like Ken mentioned; but I’m a bit skeptical that it makes fishing what it is across the entire state. If the SAL is 100% paid for by an outside source (like Toyota) then it’s a no brainer. If it’s paid for with state funds, it might need an overhaul.

Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: H2O Seeker] #13387277 12/30/19 02:32 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
My two cents on this matter: The dominate force in any system is going to be the macro events. Those being fishing pressure, conservation, disease, vegetation cycles, water levels, and the big one, fertility which is a function of reservoir age. These factors are going to have the biggest impact on how a lake is fishing. Good genetics in those lakes will help a bad year be a little better and a good years really shine. Genetics are not a panacea though. Your parents could be Shaq and Serena Williams, but if you grow up in North Korea you are probably going to be a runt.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: senko9S] #13387283 12/30/19 02:41 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Can you explain this post to me?

Thanks,

Jackson

Last edited by JacksonBean; 12/30/19 02:50 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sharelunker - Genetic Testing [Re: grout-scout] #13387331 12/30/19 03:41 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

I’m not trolling here, it’s a serious question because I’m not near as “aged” as some of you guys. I have an older buddy (65) that talks about the old days and after the tournaments, there was traditionally a giant fish fry with ALL of the bass that were caught. I’ve never asked him what year this stopped, but I know it was sometime in the 80’s. I’m sure the SAL program has helped some areas, but what about just regular conservation from over the years?

Again, I wasn’t fishing back when these were being caught. The fish at Fork that have the records, they were regular Florida strain, not hybrids? If the SAL genetics are helping so much, how come nothings being topped?

Keep in mind, I’m not in North Texas, so I’m not sure how much influence the SAL program has on Falcon, Amistad, Choke. Seems like we are solely dependent on rain, which never seems to fall around here. bang

I’m not bashing the SAL program, because I’m sure it has helped some lakes like Ken mentioned; but I’m a bit skeptical that it makes fishing what it is across the entire state. If the SAL is 100% paid for by an outside source (like Toyota) then it’s a no brainer. If it’s paid for with state funds, it might need an overhaul.

Grout Scout,

You posed some good questions.

Your 65 year old buddy was most likely fishing tournaments when the 2 man bag limits were 10 fish per Team. Not to be argumentative but I was there and I remember. Texas native fish were easier to catch but the average size was smaller. Tournaments in the 70's & 80's were won with 10 that went 30 pounds not 5 that went 30. Ask him about the bag limits back when he fished.

The SAL program did not start until Nov 1986. You would not begin to see the effects of the program until probably the mid-90's. Everybody always points to the fact there have not been any other State Records since Fork. This does not automatically mean the SAL program was a failure. The SAL program was designed to enhance the Florida genetics in lakes ALL over the state not just to grow new state records. Prior to the program it was not common to see multiple 7+ plus fish in an event. Lots of folks have forgotten that.

Also the SAL program is not funded by the State.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide