Forums59
Topics1,039,173
Posts13,960,362
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13380709 12/23/19 12:32 PM
TajChauvin Offline
Angler
Angler
Thanks for the report. I’m still running a Fortrex as I’m waiting to read more and more reports such as yours. The one key I’m looking for is an improvement in fish catching to match the price of upgrading. So far I’ve not seen it. From your post and others I read a lot of great things about convenience improvements but I don’t think these help me to catch fish. I’d like to see a unit that is completely silent outside of the prop wake and maybe some shallow water mode that keeps speed low while in anchor mode. If you experience some catching improvements please share. Thanks.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13380804 12/23/19 02:28 PM
JBranham Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
To me and I'm sure many will agree, no matter the brand, but the spot lock alone is worth the price and upgrade as a "fish catching improvement". Maybe not so much in shallow water fishing but if you spend any time off shore then this is a very valuable tool.

Working a trolling motor to stay on fish, in the wind, especially when you're catching. Just think of the missed opportunities from the time you get a fish in to boat to finally getting it back into the water/live well and then work the TM to get back to repeat the cast. This to me is a huge "fish catching improvement".

Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13380885 12/23/19 03:50 PM
B
Bryan O' Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I'm still waiting on mine! Tackle Warehouse said any day now, but it hasn't left there yet. Thought I'd have it by now. Thinking of going to Rayburn for a few days after Christmas; I'm sure it will get here the day I leave. JB, thanks for your report. Heck you're in Katy, I might have you come help put mine on!

Bryan O'
Total Recreation Products Inc.
Commercial Park and Playground Products and Services
totalrecreation.net
Ranger Z521c 250ProXS V8
Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: ssmith] #13380886 12/23/19 03:50 PM
JBranham Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by ssmith
dang you wiped the school out with one cast .

Steve, it was a fun afternoon!

Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: Bryan O'] #13380887 12/23/19 03:51 PM
JBranham Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Bryan O'
I'm still waiting on mine! Tackle Warehouse said any day now, but it hasn't left there yet. Thought I'd have it by now. Thinking of going to Rayburn for a few days after Christmas; I'm sure it will get here the day I leave. JB, thanks for your report. Heck you're in Katy, I might have you come help put mine on!

Bryan, no problem. Hit me up if you need any help.

Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13380916 12/23/19 04:28 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Great feedback. So were you able to test out the spot lock at all?

Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: Sinkey] #13380932 12/23/19 04:49 PM
JBranham Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Sinkey
Great feedback. So were you able to test out the spot lock at all?

Yes and when you hit spot lock the TM flips/turns instantly to go back to the spot where you locked it, much faster than the Ultrex did. This was good because it didn’t take it long to get to the spot and hold.

Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13380954 12/23/19 05:22 PM
SmalljawNH Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thank you for this. I would also like to see how these motors perform in shallow water and to hear your thoughts after a year of hitting shallow wood and rocks with it. I have a Fortex 80 on my 18' Ranger and I want to upgrade to a unit that is tough but also has the anchoring/spot lock feature.

Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13381007 12/23/19 07:01 PM
G
guntz67 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Thanks for the report JB

Just pitch and Grind you never know when you are going to get LUCKY !!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13381223 12/24/19 12:08 AM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Great report

Originally Posted by JBranham
Lowrance Ghost First Day Review

Installed yesterday and out running it around today! Coming from the Ultrex it’s as noisy turning but the motor is smooth, quiet, and powerful! I run a 24V system on my 19’ boat and it flies on max speed!

I run Carbon units so I used the 9pin (black connector) that was supplied with the TM and didn’t think to switch to ch.2 for my sonar so my 2D wasn’t working. I figured it out later and when you have it selected correctly the unit will automatically select the correct transducer that the ghost comes with. Also, the steering cable comes with the clips that mount to the side of the stow bracket and I had to play around with the cable so stow and deploy without it getting bunched up and when I found the right spot I noticed that you can run zip ties through the clips to keep the steering cable secure and not pop out of the clips.

Over all I enjoyed the Ghost and when you hit spot lock the TM flips/turns instantly to go back to the spot where you locked it, much faster than the Ultrex did. This was good because it didn’t take it long to get to the spot and hold.

Things I like better about the ghost:
1. Quieter
2. More Power
3. Break away shaft!!!
4. The damn steering cable is not in my way causing massive backlashes when I’m pitching or skipping!
5. Bi directional stow and deploy shock! No more slamming the TM when I deploy in a hurry.
6. Well built and hopefully more durable than the Ultrex.
7. Hopefully no issues with the foot pedal and replacing/repairing electronics like I had to with the Ultrex.
8. Lowrance is about to launch all the compatible links and features to control from your graphs so I’m banking that it will be worth it.
9. The auto correct feature when you stow the motor is pretty cool as well.

2nd Day Out:

So I got out on the lake again this past Sunday to play around with TM some more and I’ve gotta say this thing is pretty sweet!

The stow and deploy is awesome and not even something I even thought to think about before buying. Coming from the Ultrex it’s night and day difference and and when you deploy you just simply let it go and it sits down and locks into the mount so smoothly!

Calibration was easy and didn’t take long.

The motor is powerful, smooth, and quiet!

Excellent surprise was the clarity of the transducer with my HDS Carbon Unit! I have a clearer picture and didn’t notice any interference at all. Love it!!!

My negative:
I know they were in a hurry to get this launched and selling but I felt the instructions left a lot to be desired. I still haven’t figured out how to program the two programmable buttons to heading and course lock. Apparently Lowrance is launching 19.3 software next month and I should be able to utilize all the functions then.

If you’re in the market for a serious TM then I would definitely give the Lowrance a look.

I’m learning more as I go but if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask.

[Linked Image]

Images from the built in Sonar and DI Transducer:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Results from my Lowrance images, I stopped counting at 50 (epic day!):
[Linked Image]

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13384147 12/27/19 03:00 PM
R
RBO Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I've been running mine for about 6 weeks. 24v on a 20 ft Bullet, so 97#s of max thrust.

Good review and I agree with everything said.

One other thing to note. My battery life seems to be significantly improved. After my first trip I ran 2 full days without charging. On the 3rd day, the battery meter on the pedal dropped to yellow. Brushless motor?

The 70# MinnKota I replaced was much slower and was pretty much drained after a full day. Was considering adding a 3rd battery and switching the Ghost to 36V. I think I'll leave it like it is and save the weight and cost of adding a new charger and battery.

Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13384398 12/27/19 08:00 PM
B
Bryan O' Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I'm still waiting. Tackle Warehouse said Dec. 18th, but no luck yet. Looking forward to getting it, and giving it a try.

Bryan O'
Total Recreation Products Inc.
Commercial Park and Playground Products and Services
totalrecreation.net
Ranger Z521c 250ProXS V8
Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: Bryan O'] #13385060 12/28/19 04:26 PM
JBranham Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Bryan O'
I'm still waiting. Tackle Warehouse said Dec. 18th, but no luck yet. Looking forward to getting it, and giving it a try.

Bryan, I ordered mine from Russel Marine Products and had the TM a couple days later. You may check with them to see if they have any in stock, cancel your order with TW, order from them. The RMP points program is pretty good as well and I recouped enough points with the purchase that I could also order the 3in1 Active imaging transducer for the Ghost too.

Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: RBO] #13385141 12/28/19 06:12 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by RBO
I've been running mine for about 6 weeks. 24v on a 20 ft Bullet, so 97#s of max thrust.

Good review and I agree with everything said.

One other thing to note. My battery life seems to be significantly improved. After my first trip I ran 2 full days without charging. On the 3rd day, the battery meter on the pedal dropped to yellow. Brushless motor?

The 70# MinnKota I replaced was much slower and was pretty much drained after a full day.

Good report. thumb

Question: Same batteries as you were using on the MinnKota?

Last edited by Ken A.; 12/28/19 06:12 PM.

Re: Lowrance Ghost and my thoughts... [Re: JBranham] #13385488 12/29/19 12:10 AM
JBranham Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Good video to watch before you install your Ghost.

https://youtu.be/8wlpO-am9qs

Also, don’t get in a hurry and forget to put anti-seize on the mounting hardware. I went to adjust mine as in the video and I had one lock up on me, I’m sure you can all imagine the time I had getting it out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide