Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Questions about kids fishing club tourneys #13380950 12/23/19 05:20 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I read the post about high school team fishermen entering local club tournaments, so I read the '17-18 rules for THSBA, but didn't see several topics covered in those rules. Our Forney Bass Club has discussed opening entries to high schoolers. I have several questions...
-are there additional liabilities or specific rules needed when allowing those under 18 to fish?
-can prize money, typically less than $500 per team, be won by these teams?
-can their participation affect their "amateur" status or affect potential scholarships?
-are two minors allowed to fish with no captain and operate the boat themselves?
-do most clubs allow captains in the boat?
-do local clubs typically allow a captain to fish, just like a THSBA event?
-if captains are allowed, do clubs typically have rules such as, no guides, no "pros", etc.?

Certainly, our club's goals are to promote fishing and we certainly would like to help get more kids involved however possible. Information is appreciated or feel free please to point me to a website where these topics are covered. I've donated baits to our local clubs but would like to get these kids as involved in fishing, as possible.

Thank you!!

Re: Questions about kids fishing club tourneys [Re: White Oak Skeeter] #13380981 12/23/19 06:19 PM
D
DAN-O Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Scholarships can be awarded as long as it is not a UIL sport. They can not claim the actual awards until after HS. If the kids are involved in UIL activities, then yes, and money or scholarships awarded immediately could affect their UIL eligibility as the UIL now sees them as paid athletes and no longer are in amateur status.

Re: Questions about kids fishing club tourneys [Re: White Oak Skeeter] #13380997 12/23/19 06:46 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by ForneySkeeter
I read the post about high school team fishermen entering local club tournaments, so I read the '17-18 rules for THSBA, but didn't see several topics covered in those rules. Our Forney Bass Club has discussed opening entries to high schoolers. I have several questions...
-are there additional liabilities or specific rules needed when allowing those under 18 to fish?
-can prize money, typically less than $500 per team, be won by these teams?
-can their participation affect their "amateur" status or affect potential scholarships?
-are two minors allowed to fish with no captain and operate the boat themselves?
-do most clubs allow captains in the boat?
-do local clubs typically allow a captain to fish, just like a THSBA event?
-if captains are allowed, do clubs typically have rules such as, no guides, no "pros", etc.?

Certainly, our club's goals are to promote fishing and we certainly would like to help get more kids involved however possible. Information is appreciated or feel free please to point me to a website where these topics are covered. I've donated baits to our local clubs but would like to get these kids as involved in fishing, as possible.

Thank you!!

Having under 18 fish is up to you, insurance worries would be up to you. Does your club allow kids to fish with their parents? Do they have to be with their parents, are they allowed to run the big motor, can they fish alone? - all this is up to your individual club rules.
Don't worry too much about prize money. Young kids have been winning money in different events for a long time. A local club win isn't going to affect their status or rob them of scholarship opportunity.
As stated, fishing is not a UIL sport yet. I don't think that it is technically a regulated college sport either so, for now, there are no worries.

As SOON as UIL figures out a way to manage the insurance angle, rest assured that they will be standing in line with their hand out trying to get in on this. It will become over regulated, poorly run and the kids will go from earning scholarship money and prizes to ribbons while the UIL runs to the bank..

You say you really want to help... Have you (your club) considered just being captains for the HS programs already in place? The biggest problem in HS fishing right now is the lack of knowledgable captains and mentors.

Re: Questions about kids fishing club tourneys [Re: DAN-O] #13381053 12/23/19 08:06 PM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by DAN-O
Scholarships can be awarded as long as it is not a UIL sport. They can not claim the actual awards until after HS. If the kids are involved in UIL activities, then yes, and money or scholarships awarded immediately could affect their UIL eligibility as the UIL now sees them as paid athletes and no longer are in amateur status.

SETX gives out checks after the weigh-in, not scholarships, and some of them are big ones (at the end of year championship for example). I'm sure they have checked on that affecting amateur status and found it to be kosher as they have been doing it for awhile.

Last edited by 5X3Phoenix; 12/23/19 08:06 PM.
Re: Questions about kids fishing club tourneys [Re: White Oak Skeeter] #13381144 12/23/19 10:05 PM
D
DAN-O Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
The issue doesn’t come from kids fishing and fishing not being a UIL sport as much as it does if they kid is involved in a UIL activity AND is on a fishing team. If you give cash prizes to kids who are involved in UIL activities, then there is a lot of gray area with being a paid athlete. That is why most groups do scholarships and award them after graduation from HS and successful enrollment in post secondary education or career/business go-tech type opportunities.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide