Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: Brent S] #13375242 12/17/19 04:25 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
why all this criticism of Duckett?.....he had the foresight to recognize that there was an opportunity to provide much needed programing for outdoor channels,something that BASS never recognized nor took advantage of....
Boyd and several others came up with major league fishing and in a few short years,it became the most popular outdoor TV program out there....popular enough that both CBS and the Discovery channel saw the growth of high school and college fishing and realized the sport was growing and there would be a need for even more coverage of tournament fishing....
keep in mind most outdoor fishing/hunting shows are only 30 minutes long and TV networks run 24 hours a day/7 days a week....that's 168 hours each and every week the network has to show something interesting or they will lose their audience...
again Boyd and several other fishermen recognized the need for this programming and they are providing it....and like professional golfers, they saw an opportunity to sell their fishing skills and name recognition to the networks without having the owners of a middleman tournament organization siphon off a large share of the profits...
again if major league fishing continues to grow in popularity,there's going to be a lot of today's kids who will thank Boyd Duckett and others for making it possible to earn a good living as a professional fisherman without having to fish for their own entry fees and depend on family money to be a pro fisherman...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: Brent S] #13375296 12/17/19 05:26 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I see 80 spots not paying or scrambling around for an entry fee. I guess by "growing the sport" they mean growing the amount of people paying entry fees?

Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: Brent S] #13375309 12/17/19 05:47 PM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
As someone who has fished Bass & FLW events over the years, I’ll give you me take. I personally felt like both organizations had pros & cons. Do I want fame or to win more money? That was the question you had to ask yourself back in the day. As far as the buyout, it was disappointing that 10 guys didn’t get a chance to fish the Cup. I personally felt like that was an unfortunate situation from the buy out. Now as the next few years go... I look forward to fishing the FLW Pro Circuit this year. My hopes are to qualify for the BPT. It works for me. I like the format. Some guys don’t & that’s ok too. Competition is good for everyone & the more opportunity to make a living fishing the better.

Last edited by James Biggs; 12/17/19 05:49 PM.
Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: Brent S] #13375334 12/17/19 06:22 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Good luck James

Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: bbassfishes] #13375348 12/17/19 06:36 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by bbassfishes
Originally Posted by sprigsss
Originally Posted by criglizard

Not an expert, despite 10+ years doing mergers and acquisitions. Maybe in 10-15 more years and another 100+ deals, I'll be an "expert".

Really, no horse in this race, just stating the facts. Company A buying Company B does not automatically assume all liabilities. Especially this type which did not involve services or product. No transaction actually occurred.

I feel for the anglers that are missing out. Fortunately, they were good enough to do it once and can probably do it again.

I don't think anyone is saying BPT is legally obligated to pay the guys, but shouldn't need the law telling you to do what is right.

Its not like this was some bad corrupt deal made with a customer or vendor that put the company under. It is what these guys were fishing for. How many would have opted to fish BASS if there was no championship? How many would have paid those entry fees had they known there would be no championship?

Sorry, BPT screwed the pooch on this one. Make changes for future seasons and uphold promises made to anglers for the current season, that is the ethical thing to do.

I thought BPT was all about the fishermen, sounds to me it is all about the dollar.

This right here is what I was waiting on. When your whole platform is growing the sport, then screwing fishermen out of money is not a good move to make on that platform. That's moving the arrow a different way. If any of us worked for a company and put in our time, get ready to retire, and then that company gets bought out and says "sorry, no bonus or retirement anymore, it's wasn't part of the buy out.", that's not gonna sit well with one man or family on this board, I don't care who you are.

Yea let's not pretend that BPT is wanting to do anything but grow their pocket. They do not care about growing the sport. They left BASS because they wanted a bigger piece of the pie. They need to just call it like it is. They wanted more money. They don't care about the grassroots fisherman or the fans. They also can't tout their "conservation efforts" because those guys will throw a 6 pounder on the floor and say "ohh I will take a penalty for that one". People might like them a little bit more if they didn't try to sell a bunch of garbage. G-Man used the terms sales pitch.

Last edited by Josh Seale; 12/17/19 06:37 PM.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: MagFluker] #13375350 12/17/19 06:37 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by MagFluker
Originally Posted by LakeForkGroupie
Is John Cox fishing the Opens and the FLW? All I have seen from him on Social is BASS, but I see him on the roster here.

Also it's good to see Terry Bolton back on the list after he famously quit on Kentucky Lake after him and Jason Lambert got to the same spot one morning.

That wasn't Terry Bolton

Was Randy Haynes

LOL I forgot about that

Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: J.H.S.] #13375406 12/17/19 07:56 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
There needs to be some separation between what we consider a hobby and what others are trying to make a profession. Some of you talk about this like it is a hobby and then try to talk about it as an anglers profession. Well, which one is it? If MLF or BASS are a profession, then shouldnt they be about the money? I personally plan and hope to make more and more money at my profession. I also expect others to feel the same way, and even plan for my competitors to have the same goals. Who doesnt want to make more money? If I was smart enough, or had the connections, to come up with my own way to get a bigger piece of the pie, then you can bet I would jump on it. My profession provides for family, and I would burn down* all my competitors to provide for my family.
\
*Burn down - not meant literally for those to sensitive to get the context

Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: Shallow Waters] #13375418 12/17/19 08:12 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Shallow Waters
There needs to be some separation between what we consider a hobby and what others are trying to make a profession. Some of you talk about this like it is a hobby and then try to talk about it as an anglers profession. Well, which one is it? If MLF or BASS are a profession, then shouldnt they be about the money? I personally plan and hope to make more and more money at my profession. I also expect others to feel the same way, and even plan for my competitors to have the same goals. Who doesnt want to make more money? If I was smart enough, or had the connections, to come up with my own way to get a bigger piece of the pie, then you can bet I would jump on it. My profession provides for family, and I would burn down* all my competitors to provide for my family.
\

I dont think anybody considers it wrong for them to be about the money. Just dont feed a line of b.s. instead of the truth. I would have much more respect for a guy that looked in a camera and said "we want to make our anglers rich and this is how we want to do it" instead of sprinkling some sugar on a pile of [censored].

Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: the skipper] #13375432 12/17/19 08:26 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by the skipper
\

I dont think anybody considers it wrong for them to be about the money. Just dont feed a line of b.s. instead of the truth. I would have much more respect for a guy that looked in a camera and said "we want to make our anglers rich and this is how we want to do it" instead of sprinkling some sugar on a pile of [censored].

But that's not how businesses work. Every businesses goal is to make money, but they don't put that in their mission statement.

Last edited by Shallow Waters; 12/17/19 08:27 PM.
Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: Brent S] #13375448 12/17/19 08:45 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by Josh Seale
Yea let's not pretend that BPT is wanting to do anything but grow their pocket. They do not care about growing the sport. They left BASS because they wanted a bigger piece of the pie. They need to just call it like it is. They wanted more money. They don't care about the grassroots fisherman or the fans. They also can't tout their "conservation efforts" because those guys will throw a 6 pounder on the floor and say "ohh I will take a penalty for that one". People might like them a little bit more if they didn't try to sell a bunch of garbage. G-Man used the terms sales pitch.

They "do not care about growing the sport" yet they do care to "grow their pocket". Those two things contradict each other. The sport being bigger leads to more money.

This is just you being angry and not making sense.

I am not saying that they do not want more money. However, another perspective that happens often in society is...."If someone's making money from our work, we want our fair share". Nearly every sport has dealt with this, some (NCAA) are currently dealing with it. So more isn't always driven by greed, sometimes its driven by fairness. Again, not saying this is the case here, just another perspective.

Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: beartrap] #13375475 12/17/19 09:29 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by beartrap
why all this criticism of Duckett?.....he had the foresight to recognize that there was an opportunity to provide much needed programing for outdoor channels,something that BASS never recognized nor took advantage of....
Boyd and several others came up with major league fishing and in a few short years,it became the most popular outdoor TV program out there....popular enough that both CBS and the Discovery channel saw the growth of high school and college fishing and realized the sport was growing and there would be a need for even more coverage of tournament fishing....
keep in mind most outdoor fishing/hunting shows are only 30 minutes long and TV networks run 24 hours a day/7 days a week....that's 168 hours each and every week the network has to show something interesting or they will lose their audience...
again Boyd and several other fishermen recognized the need for this programming and they are providing it....and like professional golfers, they saw an opportunity to sell their fishing skills and name recognition to the networks without having the owners of a middleman tournament organization siphon off a large share of the profits...
again if major league fishing continues to grow in popularity,there's going to be a lot of today's kids who will thank Boyd Duckett and others for making it possible to earn a good living as a professional fisherman without having to fish for their own entry fees and depend on family money to be a pro fisherman...

Well one thing is you can tell Duckett is a doosh just by looking at him and observing him. Easy to criticize.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: Shallow Waters] #13375510 12/17/19 10:17 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
\

100% agree

How can "we" sit on the sidelines and question how another man choses to make a living to support himself and his family?

I do not understand the way people get angry about a business (the tours) conducting themselves to be profitable and how the contractors (the anglers) choose where they will fish to support themselves. At the end of the day it's all a business at that level and most of the people involved are trying to make the most money they can while they or their business is relative and profitable. Things come and go and when there is hype about something it is typically a lot more profitable. Things lose relevance and they lose value. I would venture to say each angler is making choices to try and make their own relevance and profitability last as long as possible. Thus, leading to more money in the pockets of the individual anglers as well as in the pockets of the business owners and investors.

Also, it's okay for someone to decide they made a poor decision personally to go one direction and change midstream to satisfy their own personal and financial goals. It happens every day in business. We live in a capitalist society and it's the American Way todo as well as you can.

#MFGA
Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: James Biggs] #13375537 12/17/19 10:36 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by James Biggs
As someone who has fished Bass & FLW events over the years, I’ll give you me take. I personally felt like both organizations had pros & cons. Do I want fame or to win more money? That was the question you had to ask yourself back in the day. As far as the buyout, it was disappointing that 10 guys didn’t get a chance to fish the Cup. I personally felt like that was an unfortunate situation from the buy out. Now as the next few years go... I look forward to fishing the FLW Pro Circuit this year. My hopes are to qualify for the BPT. It works for me. I like the format. Some guys don’t & that’s ok too. Competition is good for everyone & the more opportunity to make a living fishing the better.

cheers

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: Douglas J] #13375542 12/17/19 10:40 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Douglas J
\

100% agree

How can "we" sit on the sidelines and question how another man choses to make a living to support himself and his family?

I do not understand the way people get angry about a business (the tours) conducting themselves to be profitable and how the contractors (the anglers) choose where they will fish to support themselves. At the end of the day it's all a business at that level and most of the people involved are trying to make the most money they can while they or their business is relative and profitable. Things come and go and when there is hype about something it is typically a lot more profitable. Things lose relevance and they lose value. I would venture to say each angler is making choices to try and make their own relevance and profitability last as long as possible. Thus, leading to more money in the pockets of the individual anglers as well as in the pockets of the business owners and investors.

Also, it's okay for someone to decide they made a poor decision personally to go one direction and change midstream to satisfy their own personal and financial goals. It happens every day in business. We live in a capitalist society and it's the American Way todo as well as you can.

^^^ clap

Re: FLW Pro Tour Roster [Re: Mark Jones] #13375549 12/17/19 10:45 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Mark Jones
Originally Posted by Douglas J
\

100% agree

^^^ clap

Yea, this is a really good post. Thank you Douglas J!

Last edited by MagFluker; 12/17/19 10:46 PM.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide