Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Ken A.] #13368258 12/11/19 12:52 AM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
He shook the lower unit, he DID NOT rotate it left to right or right to left like you say he did.

Why don't you find another forum to post your hateful comments on.

Last edited by ezbassin; 12/11/19 12:55 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: ezbassin] #13368675 12/11/19 01:20 PM
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
[quote]
Originally Posted by ezbassin

One thing I was wondering,,,you had 28 boats in the past and only 5 of them would do over 100? I figured it would have been way more than just 5 knowing you Ken. LOL[/quote

Not doubting here..
Interested to know what 5 boat and motor combinations would do over trips ? Just for the record I've not owned a mtr without solid mounts since 1997 -- and don't intend to for the reasons shown by OP.

Last edited by fishnfireman; 12/11/19 01:21 PM.
Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Ken A.] #13368703 12/11/19 01:38 PM
lakeforkfisherman Offline
Elliptical Mechanic
Elliptical Mechanic
Good stuff, Ken. Before I changed my Gambler’s mounts to solid, I was constantly fighting chine at 65+. Solid motor mounts got me to 76 with only minimal input at the wheel. Short, controlled counter clockwise steering at the slightest tilt of chine will immediately correct the balance and keep chine at bay.

LET’S GO BRANDON!!!
Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: fishnfireman] #13368826 12/11/19 02:31 PM
Ken A. Online Content OP
Groovy
OP Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted by fishnfireman
[quote=ezbassin]

One thing I was wondering,,,you had 28 boats in the past and only 5 of them would do over 100? I figured it would have been way more than just 5 knowing you Ken. LOL[/quote

Not doubting here..
Interested to know what 5 boat and motor combinations would do over trips ? Just for the record I've not owned a mtr without solid mounts since 1997 -- and don't intend to for the reasons shown by OP.

Getting a boat to run trips is not as easy a task as one might think. First boat was a 16' Allison with a modded 235 Evinrude. That hull weighed less than 400#. It was not a bass boat, rather a stripped down raceboat with no carpet, and one seat. It was a handful to drive.

Next was a 20' Bullet with a 2.5 EFI 260 HP motor. Next was the same boat with the same motor. This was the racing engine that was high compression with no rev limiter. It would turn a 26 pitch prop at 7600. Forgot to mention I had a 19' Gambler that I put that same motor on for one year. It was a fast hull but not as fast as the 20' Bullet. Better fishing boat than the Bullet tho.

The next boat was a new Allison 2002 bass boat with a Merc Drag SS motor. It was the short shaft racing motor that required 110 octane race fuel that made 325 HP at 9,700 RPM from Merc Racing. The last year they made them was 2005. It is the most sought after racing motor Merc ever built. I have attached a link to a 590# Allison raceboat with a Drag SS motor that will do 5 to 120 in a little over 9 seconds. John Mumford is a seasoned raceboat driver and has titanium balls.

My Allison was the 2002 bass version of this boat and was slower in the quarter mile but would still run 105 in 11 seconds. GoPros were non existent when I had my boat or you would see some crazy videos of me almost killing myself on numerous occasions! LOL

My last 100+ mph boat was a 20' Comp hull Bullet with a Merc 300XS from Sartin Marine. I had that boat for two years and sold it. I bought another new Bullet from Sartin with a 300XS but it was the Bullet 21-10 and would only run 94. Ask Sinkey how it ran at the blast off on Fork when I drew boat #27 and he was 10 boats in front of me in his Skeeter. grin

I had pretty much lost interest in go-fast bass rigs as evidenced by my smoking fast 68 mph Legend 211 with the Yam 250 SHO. HOWEVER, The new Merc V8's have reignited my interest in putting together another Go-Fast rig. As I stated before I do not have my name in any record books but I do have a TON of hotrod boating experience. I am still open minded and learn something every day. If I can help any of you please let me know.

Stay Tuned......

Last edited by Ken A.; 12/11/19 02:42 PM.

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: ezbassin] #13368838 12/11/19 02:35 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
He shook the lower unit, he DID NOT rotate it left to right or right to left like you say he did.

He pushed it then pulled it only taking up the free play in the steering that EVERY one of our boats has irrelevant of whatever motor mounts we have.

Whats hateful about explaining that isnt how you check motor mounts?

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Ken A.] #13368917 12/11/19 03:16 PM
F
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by Ken A.
[quote=ezbassin]

Not doubting here..

Getting a boat to run trips is not as easy a task as one might think. First boat was a 16' Allison with a modded 235 Evinrude. That hull weighed less than 400#. It was not a bass boat, rather a stripped down raceboat with no carpet, and one seat. It was a handful to drive.

Next was a 20' Bullet with a 2.5 EFI 260 HP motor. Next was the same boat with the same motor. This was the racing engine that was high compression with no rev limiter. It would turn a 26 pitch prop at 7600. Forgot to mention I had a 19' Gambler that I put that same motor on for one year. It was a fast hull but not as fast as the 20' Bullet. Better fishing boat than the Bullet tho.

The next boat was a new Allison 2002 bass boat with a Merc Drag SS motor. It was the short shaft racing motor that required 110 octane race fuel that made 325 HP at 9,700 RPM from Merc Racing. The last year they made them was 2005. It is the most sought after racing motor Merc ever built. I have attached a link to a 590# Allison raceboat with a Drag SS motor that will do 5 to 120 in a little over 9 seconds. John Mumford is a seasoned raceboat driver and has titanium balls.

My Allison was the 2002 bass version of this boat and was slower in the quarter mile but would still run 105 in 11 seconds. GoPros were non existent when I had my boat or you would see some crazy videos of me almost killing myself on numerous occasions! LOL

My last 100+ mph boat was a 20' Comp hull Bullet with a Merc 300XS from Sartin Marine. I had that boat for two years and sold it. I bought another new Bullet from Sartin with a 300XS but it was the Bullet 21-10 and would only run 94. Ask Sinkey how it ran at the blast off on Fork when I drew boat #27 and he was 10 boats in front of me in his Skeeter. grin

I had pretty much lost interest in go-fast bass rigs as evidenced by my smoking fast 68 mph Legend 211 with the Yam 250 SHO. HOWEVER, The new Merc V8's have reignited my interest in putting together another Go-Fast rig. As I stated before I do not have my name in any record books but I do have a TON of hotrod boating experience. I am still open minded and learn something every day. If I can help any of you please let me know.

Stay Tuned......

Sounds like you have been around the lake a time or two.
Would like to have seen the Gambler do trips that would be a first for me.. I bought a new one in 1995 and could not make the 209 TE go . Have owned nothing but Allison's since. Never had a 2002 but did have a 2003 that would bust 100 in the right place. Still have a Prosport/300XS...Just bought a new Bassport and put a little V8 250R on it.. Still playing with set up and props I figure if I can hit 90 in fishing trim it will be just fine. I know one thing this V8 has some TORQUE.

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: fishnfireman] #13368930 12/11/19 03:25 PM
Ken A. Online Content OP
Groovy
OP Online Content
Groovy

Would like to have seen the Gambler do trips that would be a first for me.. I bought a new one in 1995 and could not make the 209 TE go . Have owned nothing but Allison's since. Never had a 2002 but did have a 2003 that would bust 100 in the right place. Still have a Prosport/300XS...Just bought a new Bassport and put a little V8 250R on it.. Still playing with set up and props I figure if I can hit 90 in fishing trim it will be just fine. I know one thing this V8 has some TORQUE.

The Gambler?Sterling is a fine boat but they hit a wall about 90 and when the prop turns loose on them you had better hang on. I was running across Joe Pool one day at 88 and hit a wave wrong. The prop turned loose and the boat did a 180 in about 2 boat lengths. It was so violent it opened up the velcro rod savers on the front deck and chunked three fishing poles in the pond! To this day I don't know how the boat stayed upright. Had to be the Good Lord.

I'm a little jealous of your new boat man. Once you find the right prop for that 250R you should see 90 pretty easily. Jay McDaniel & Geoff Ericson both have XB21s. One is a ProSport and one is the BassSport. Both run 103-105 with troller on the nose and fishing tackle. What gearcase do you have on your 250R?

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13368933 12/11/19 03:25 PM
Ken A. Online Content OP
Groovy
OP Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

He pushed it then pulled it only taking up the free play in the steering that EVERY one of our boats has irrelevant of whatever motor mounts we have.

Whats hateful about explaining that isnt how you check motor mounts?

Good luck EJ! LOL

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Ken A.] #13368953 12/11/19 03:36 PM
bsouth401 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I first met Ken around 1997 or 98 when he had the Allison 2002 with the Mercury drag motor. I was fishing the West bank of Lake Fork across from Oak Ridge and we saw him heading South towards the dam cruising at around 70 MPH. As he was heading down the lake, another guide in a Bullet passed him at around 80 MPH. He let the Bullet get about 10 boat links ahead of him and then he romped on it and flew passed the bullet like it was setting still. The engine sounded like a ticked off Bumble Bee as it had to be turning 10,000 RPM. I had never ever seen a bass boat go that fast. Shortly after that the Allison came back up the lake and headed to the ramp at Oak Ridge. We reeled up and headed over for a closer look. As Ken was loading the boat on the trailer, it reminded me of a hyped up race horse wanting the jockey to let go of the reins. After Ken loaded the boat on the trailer, I beached my boat and headed over to have a closer look. My fishing partner knew Ken and after he introduced us, Ken took me through the boat and even took the cowling off to expose what was under the hood, so to speak. All I could say was, wow and I said it a bunch over and over as he told me more and more about the motor and the boat. That was my first introduction into the world of fast boats. At the time had a 19’ Hydra-Sport with a 150 Evinrude Intruder that would regularly do 72 MPH and just thought I was fast. If I were wanting to learn more about how to set up a boat to go fast and how to drive it, Ken would be my first place to go. Ken was very gracious that day and has been ever since. If he gives advice on boats and motors I would listen.

Brian, Pake and Porter South
www.dobynsrods.com
www.santonelures.com
Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Ken A.] #13369061 12/11/19 05:03 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

Good luck EJ! LOL

Hey Ken seems like youve got a split personality, texting me on my phone small talk and chatting me up this week, not once mentioning anything about anything on TFF, but then posting b.s here still.

So anyways I texted you (or another Ken A.) and then blocked that phone number after I hit send.

Its been nice chatting with you over the last two years and hearing about some of your fishing endeavors, via text message and phone calls in person. Ill watch for your intuitive posts on here and fishing updates.

I just wanted to be up front about it and let you know on both platforms just in case you miss my text. Or if this is actually a different Ken A, let me know Ill unblock that number and keep in touch with that guy, he seems like a cool dude, lonely at times for sure but cool none the less.

Take care and take care of Ken A and Ken B!!

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Ken A.] #13369068 12/11/19 05:10 PM
kluke Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
what a d bag

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: kluke] #13369073 12/11/19 05:13 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by kluke
what a d bag

Ken A or Ken B ???!!! cheers

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Ken A.] #13369146 12/11/19 05:49 PM
F
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F

The Gambler?Sterling is a fine boat but they hit a wall about 90 and when the prop turns loose on them you had better hang on. I was running across Joe Pool one day at 88 and hit a wave wrong. The prop turned loose and the boat did a 180 in about 2 boat lengths. It was so violent it opened up the velcro rod savers on the front deck and chunked three fishing poles in the pond! To this day I don't know how the boat stayed upright. Had to be the Good Lord.

I'm a little jealous of your new boat man. Once you find the right prop for that 250R you should see 90 pretty easily. Jay McDaniel & Geoff Ericson both have XB21s. One is a ProSport and one is the BassSport. Both run 103-105 with troller on the nose and fishing tackle. What gearcase do you have on your 250R?

Have done a 180 in a Gambler.. Will leave teeth marks in the seat.
I think the only LU Merc offers with the 250R is a SM with 1.75's .....Jay and Geoff both have the 300R now and doing some amazing runs. The 5-95 mph runs are unreal for a bass boat that only turns 6400 rpm's with a 32 pitch prop. Anyone who is considering a V8 needs to watch the video Geoff did with the 300 comparison.

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Ken A.] #13369192 12/11/19 06:21 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
I have known Ken since the late 80's. I even bought one of his 20ft Bullets from him in the mid 90's. When it comes to advice on boats. Between him and jeff. Listen to Ken.

Re: High Speed Bass Boat Tips [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13369307 12/11/19 08:10 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Good luck EJ! LOL

Hey Ken seems like youve got a split personality, texting me on my phone small talk and chatting me up this week, not once mentioning anything about anything on TFF, but then posting b.s here still.

So anyways I texted you (or another Ken A.) and then blocked that phone number after I hit send.

Its been nice chatting with you over the last two years and hearing about some of your fishing endeavors, via text message and phone calls in person. Ill watch for your intuitive posts on here and fishing updates.

I just wanted to be up front about it and let you know on both platforms just in case you miss my text. Or if this is actually a different Ken A, let me know Ill unblock that number and keep in touch with that guy, he seems like a cool dude, lonely at times for sure but cool none the less.

Take care and take care of Ken A and Ken B!!

This is just pathetic you sir have a problem I wish you the best but Ken is one of the most stand up men I have ever met in the fishing community or outside. You should be band from here for that post. Their was absolutely no need in personally attacking on here about his post about chime walking or about your private texts or calls. I guess if someone wanted to have their private conversation on here they would put it on here. You are a classless individual.

This all coming from someone who has gotten into deep discussions and been called everything under the sun in the bunker but I do provoke in there so no harm

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide