Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: Kisndismis] #13369628 12/12/19 12:19 AM
H
HtownBB Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Originally Posted by Kisndismis
I bet over 200 people that fished it this weekend read this like every other Fayette post but did not offer any tips, but more than they offer on Conroe I guess.

I was on Conroe on the 8th. All the normal spots. Nothing was bitting there as well. Maybe it was just not a day to catch, just fish. smile

2017 Tracker 195 TXW.
Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13376021 12/18/19 02:33 PM
T
TomRom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Fayette has been fishing really tough the last couple of months. The two guides that I know are not taking any trips of late. This has been the worst fall bite I have experienced in years. I have expressed concerns to the fishery biologist that is responsible for Fayette, that all of the cast netting for tilapia especially during the spawn is having an impact. Myself and one of the lakes fishing guides (Pete Dodge) are going to meet with the biologist early next month to discuss this issue. When I first started to fish Fayette back in 2005, I would see the cast netters throwing their nets from a boat. Over the last couple of years I have observed the netters wading the shoreline. Sometimes in groups of 3 or 4 like they are "herding" the fish. They wade through the spawning beds and associated vegetation. My opinion is this can't be good for the fishery.

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13376087 12/18/19 03:20 PM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I've fished Fayette for well over 35 years. Cast netters aren't the problem on Fayette. There is TONS of spawning habitat that cast netters can't get to and lots of tilapia and bream for bass to feed on, not to mention a healthy shad population. Years ago people used to complain about waterdogs as well, saying that it hurt the fishery. That definitely wasn't the case as even guides used them for clients who just wanted to feel a tug on the line and who didn't have experience bass fishing.
One thing that HAS changed over the past few years is the limitation of hydrilla. Less oxygen from less foliage and from the power plant not generating may be contributing to lower oxygen levels. When you're talking to the biologist, ask him/her whether they've done any shocking surveys as of late. Not certain how many fish died during the fish kill but that could have an impact as well.

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13376130 12/18/19 03:48 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: BillS2006] #13376155 12/18/19 04:06 PM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted by BillS2006

yeah, that was in 2016 and it does show a massive loss in hydrilla as compared to previous years. That doesn't take into account the lowering of the lake this year or the power plant not generating either

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13376161 12/18/19 04:14 PM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Survey results are interesting, but the apparent downward trend in bass fishing seems to have been since about early October (based on my experience and anecdotal reports from others). This coincides with the fish kill that happened at the same time, so I’m suspicious that SOMETHING got dumped into the water by the power plant and is having a negative effect on fishing. Bass are still being caught, just not at the rates typical for this lake. I fish it almost weekly and compared to this time last year and even a couple of months ago, it is WAY off. Be very interesting to hear what the biologist has to say about it.

“Slide”
Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: photofishin] #13376171 12/18/19 04:20 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by photofishin

yeah, that was in 2016 and it does show a massive loss in hydrilla as compared to previous years. That doesn't take into account the lowering of the lake this year or the power plant not generating either

IF you would read the survey, you would see that hydrilla was at a minimum in 2015.

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: Cuervo Jones] #13376185 12/18/19 04:31 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones
Survey results are interesting, but the apparent downward trend in bass fishing seems to have been since about early October (based on my experience and anecdotal reports from others). This coincides with the fish kill that happened at the same time, so I’m suspicious that SOMETHING got dumped into the water by the power plant and is having a negative effect on fishing. Bass are still being caught, just not at the rates typical for this lake. I fish it almost weekly and compared to this time last year and even a couple of months ago, it is WAY off. Be very interesting to hear what the biologist has to say about it.

TP&W investigated the "fish kill" and determined it was a natural event caused by run off from heavy rains. If you would read the last four surveys, you would see a decline in bass fishing especially in size. The biologist believes that catch and release has worked too well, and there are too many mid sized bass and that was part of the reason the length limit was adjusted. Look at the catch rate in the last survey and compare to other species.
A question that everyone should be asking id "where did the catfish go?" A really good guide has stopped fishing Fayette for catfish the last five years due to low catch rates. Size is good with the average being over 5 pounds, but no fish smaller fish caught. The biologist says the catfish have been getting good spawns, but since catfish spawn stay in a tight group, the bass are eating them and the survival rate is very minimal. No crappie for many years. The lake is terribly out of balance, but due to pressure from some groups of fishermen, TP&W's hands are tied.

Managing for one species of fish is great for a few years, but it all catches up eventually.

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13376197 12/18/19 04:40 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
The KAST Region 1 office was notified of a fish kill on Lake Fayette, Fayette County. After a field investigation by the TPWD Kills and Spills Team and the LCRA Ranger on 9/23/2013 it is suspected that there was mixing of water in the Lake resulting in turn over. Reports indicated that 1.96 inches of rain fell according to LCRA gauges near the lake from 9/19-9/20/2013. The LCRA is planning to collect a sample to analyze the Lake for algae as well. The fish kill was isolated towards the North shores of the lake. The total number of dead fish was estimated to be about 10,000 individuals consisting of several; Largemouth Bass 4-20 inches, Green Sunfish 2-8 inches, Bluegill 1-10 inches, 1-8 inch Gizzard shad, 14-22 inch Channel Catfish, 6-16 inch Tilapia, and several large Common Carp 20+inches.
LCRA staff are continuing to monitor the lake and will report to TPWD if any additional fish kills occur.

A very minor fish kill.

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13376200 12/18/19 04:42 PM
T
TomRom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Well we will see what transpires. Like the only way the fish biologist said you could tell is to do a controlled survey to assess the impacts of this practice. They also said that common sense would tell you that wading through spawning beds and associated aquatic vegetation during the wrong time of year could have a negative impact. So me second guessing and the other posters just guessing on what they think is causing an impact if any is just that, a guess. I will say in my discussions, the biologists appeared to be unaware that the wading and cast netting takes place on a fairly frequent basis. My guide friend who is on the lake over 200 days a year sees a great deal of cast netting going on. A lot more than me for sure. Finally for the record, I am not opposed per se of the cast netting. The people who do it are just trying to enjoy the resource or earn some money. I just want the practice to be looked at by professionals to see if it is an issue or not.

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13376207 12/18/19 04:51 PM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
The fish kill sure didn’t look minor to me. Never saw that many dead fish on that lake in 12 years of fishing it. It covered miles of shoreline across the northern part of the lake. And there’s been lots of rain before, so I’m suspicious. And again, the fishing was good all summer and early fall. Hopefully it’s just a freak occurrence and as we move into more stable weather, things pick up a bit.

Attached Files 53BE6922-0BC9-43B8-823B-6E34AA30703A.jpeg41DFB83D-A108-4FAB-95B4-3346CA516E2D.jpeg

“Slide”
Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13376366 12/18/19 06:24 PM
V
Vogey Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
V
Another opinion...I fish the lake around 40 times per year. First, this year was the worst fish kill I have seen on Fayette, and I have seen quite a few. I mainly fish for bluegill now, so my perspective may be a little different. When the fish kill was in progress, in one of the coves I fish, thousands of fish (all species) were at the surface gasping for air side by side. So I agree with the assessment that the rain run off & lake turnover was responsible the oxygen depletion & subsequent fish kill. Second, the vegetation issue is one of constant change year to year. The naiad grass seems to have replaced the hydrilla in most of the areas I fish. Also, the wide expanses of reeds should provide a good habitat for fingerlings of all species. Lastly..the netters...In the spring and summer (2019) I witnessed boats so full of "what they caught" that they almost sank, and cannot even get the boat on plane due to the weight. There are days that they seem to be everywhere in the shallows. Don't know the impact, but it can't be all good. I also agree that more bass should be taken out for consumption, but maybe the fish kills take care of a natural "thinning out" instead. So maybe it's not just one thing...but a combination of all the issues discussed that has made for a hard winter of fishing. I'm pretty sure that this springtime some of our questions will be answered by how well we do on the water...

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: BillS2006] #13376483 12/18/19 08:09 PM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted by photofishin

IF you would read the survey, you would see that hydrilla was at a minimum in 2015.

I DID read it...my comment was that compared to earlier years when I guided the lake (from 1992-2003 timeframe) the hydrilla is almost nonexistant

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13377756 12/20/19 01:37 AM
Minner Bucket Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If you’re not catching 40+ a day on Fayette, then there is problems. I haven’t been since this summer but hopefully things turn around in the next couple months.

Re: Fayette - Dec 8 [Re: barbarian] #13378911 12/21/19 01:40 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I've fished Fayette over a 100 times over the last 6 years or so. I've never been skunked, and my average 1/2 day out there is usually 20-30 fish, but I mostly target bigger fish. The fishing was great until late October. I had a 30 fish half day screwing around out there with my wife in mid October. After that, I went from my usual average down to about 8-10 fish per outing and having to work mighty hard for those fish. The cast netters have always been out there. The hydrilla has been gone for a long time. The main variable to me seems to be whatever happened to cause this fish kill.

What's most concerning to me is that my off shore spots that ALWAYS have fish have been completely devoid of life since late October. Hopefully whatever happened was just a blip and the lake will turn back around soon.

I know Honey Hole TV filmed out there a week and a half ago and they caught 6 fish on the day. That episode should air at the end of the month.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide