Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: SC 210] #13361253 12/04/19 05:38 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by SC 210
Not trying to bag on you (at all) just would like to know your affiliation with this venture, do you have a vested interest, common sponsors? I don't care for the format but I believe if others do that is fine. The thing that MLF does have going for it is RICH GUYS and they can last a long time without making money if they choose.

SC, no problem at all. We manage sponsorships and activations for brands in the fishing space as well as manage digital/data work and content for brands and partners. thumb

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13361259 12/04/19 05:55 PM
KingOutdoorsCo Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by sprigsss
Originally Posted by Mark Jones

This is the most difficult part of this and before you respond please understand that I’m not attempting to argue with you or talk you out of your position. What I can tell you that is fact, backed by data, is that there’s a large number of fans who enjoy the format. And when I say large I mean the majority, you’re simply not hearing from them on social and forum boards. They’re happy, so they watch, enjoy and move along. They don’t post or battle, as there would be no point. They’re just fishing fans and they simply watch and consume the content.

You have to be VERY careful when you’re on a fishing forum looking at feedback and assuming that it constitutes a majority. I can tell you without question it does NOT.

I understand you have info and feedback that many of us will never see/hear. I would love to see where these people are. They certainly must not be on Facebook and other social media, cause the overwhelming majority I come across have similar sentiments as I do. I also find it hard to believe they aren't getting significant pushback from fans especially after seeing this last change with the Heavy Hitters tournament.

Fans will get tired of watching. As viewership goes away, so will the sponsors. Only time will tell. If they continue with the every fish counts and are going strong in 5 years, I will be the first to say I was wrong.

The ONLY reason I would log in and watch BPT today is to see the likes of Andy Montgomery, Greg Hackney, and several of the other anglers I enjoy watching.

In my own research I find participants in forums like this one do not represent a majority of both consumers or viewers. They just don't and the glaring example of this is the Googan guys. I would dare say the majority of this board do not watch them. I do not watch them, it's not what I want to watch but I have sampled and can certainly see their approach. Those guys pull in at a minimum 10x per hour as many viewers to their product as the major names in our sport. At least that many more. I am not comparing the Googan views to MLF, just stating there is a market us that have been in this game a long time have trouble seeing.

Brant King
King Outdoors
903-975-4909
brant@kingoutdoors.co
wwww.kingoutdoors.co
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: KingOutdoorsCo] #13361269 12/04/19 06:02 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Brant King.

In my own research I find participants in forums like this one do not represent a majority of both consumers or viewers. They just don't and the glaring example of this is the Googan guys. I would dare say the majority of this board do not watch them. I do not watch them, it's not what I want to watch but I have sampled and can certainly see their approach. Those guys pull in at a minimum 10x per hour as many viewers to their product as the major names in our sport. At least that many more. I am not comparing the Googan views to MLF, just stating there is a market us that have been in this game a long time have trouble seeing.

So where is the audience that buys the $80,000 bass boats, $10,000 worth of electronics, and the other products these guys are selling?

I doubt many people that aren't on Social Media, are following the tour live on a computer, tablet, or cell phone either.

So which audience is going to buy the product they are selling? That is where sponsors are going to get the best bang for their buck.

I'm certain they are looking into and have researched all these questions. I think the most interesting part, will be to see how it plays out longterm.

I just feel like if I had a product to sell, especially if it is a quality product that is not on the cheap side, participants in forums like this are exactly the audience I would want to be targeting.

Last edited by sprigsss; 12/04/19 06:04 PM.
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13361288 12/04/19 06:19 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by sprigsss

This is the most difficult part of this and before you respond please understand that I’m not attempting to argue with you or talk you out of your position. What I can tell you that is fact, backed by data, is that there’s a large number of fans who enjoy the format. And when I say large I mean the majority, you’re simply not hearing from them on social and forum boards. They’re happy, so they watch, enjoy and move along. They don’t post or battle, as there would be no point. They’re just fishing fans and they simply watch and consume the content.

You have to be VERY careful when you’re on a fishing forum looking at feedback and assuming that it constitutes a majority. I can tell you without question it does NOT.

I understand you have info and feedback that many of us will never see/hear. I would love to see where these people are. They certainly must not be on Facebook and other social media, cause the overwhelming majority I come across have similar sentiments as I do. I also find it hard to believe they aren't getting significant pushback from fans especially after seeing this last change with the Heavy Hitters tournament.

Fans will get tired of watching. As viewership goes away, so will the sponsors. Only time will tell. If they continue with the every fish counts and are going strong in 5 years, I will be the first to say I was wrong.

The ONLY reason I would log in and watch BPT today is to see the likes of Andy Montgomery, Greg Hackney, and several of the other anglers I enjoy watching.

I’m clearly not at liberty to share their internal numbers here but they’re very transparent with their sponsors and their partners when they provide analytics, insights and TV viewership numbers.

Again, you really have to be careful when you look at commenters versus consumers who just watch and enjoy. The naysayers don’t scale. The strongest resistance that you’re seeing to the format are hard core five fish tournament anglers and I certainly agree that the five fish market segment is important, it’s just not the majority. It only feels that way to those of us who are involved in the industry, passionate fans and forum members.

Here’s just a small example. There’s been numerous people complaining about Discovery and them airing there. People have been very vocal. However the week to week ratings numbers continue to climb. So there’s a group saying they’re not watching and yet there’s a much larger group who continues to watch. As soon as I type this someone is going to come on here and say that it’s “housewives” and while that might get them a chuckle or two from the peanut gallery it’s simply not backed by data.

So, as a business, you have to be very careful with market research and feedback because it’s laced with bias, opinion and qualitative pitfalls. You have to keep your head, stay on strategy and look at quantitative data as your North Star. Not comments on the TFF. If that’s your North Star you are in big trouble.

This has been a time of radical change and I understand that is impacting a lot of this as well. It will settle down and come together. Applying patience here is going to be paramount.

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Jones] #13361298 12/04/19 06:30 PM
Chris B Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by bbassfishes
Why keeps things simple they way the fans want? Just convolute the hell out of it until they drive themselves out of the market. For a "business" man, Duckett sure doesn't seem to understand how business works.

One additional thing to add. While Boyd Duckett is most definitely a key stakeholder and major part of MLF, he’s not the only decision maker. It’s a large team of people and again they’re all trying to be thoughtful about this and manage all the moving parts. While the dictator and bad guy spin might be fun for some to post and harp on it’s simply not reality based.

My two cents

Mark Jones, how do you come up with the data that the majority of the fans prefer every little fish counts? I was never polled so this is a serious question. Is it views on TV? I don't even have ESPN on my TV to watch BASS. I do watch some of the MLF shows because I have the Outdoor Channel. I certainly don't prefer BPT over BASS. I probably wached Bass live 10-1 over the BPT live. Just curious seeing how the current format poll on here shows about 94% prefer the Bass format. Thanks Chris Baugh

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13361311 12/04/19 06:47 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Chris, the data is on their platforms across digital, social, in app, live and TV. Fans “vote” with their time, attention and eyeballs. You don’t need a poll to see how many people are on your platforms, how long they’re there, how many times they login, how many live minutes they consume and how much TV they watch.

All that data and analytics is easy work in a 2019/20 world. Audience insights, demographics and measurement is how you know. Not a poll on the TFF.

Again, I’m not arguing with anyone or trying to talk them out of their opinion. Just saying we should add quant into the discussion if we want it to be meaningful and by meaningful I mean accurate.

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13361334 12/04/19 07:10 PM
Chris B Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Thanks for the answer. I'd love to know the live numbers for both. Clearly the TV numbers have nothing to do with who like what format better. If the TV numbers count you are going to think I prefer Jimmy Houston TV format over Bass.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: ETXfisher91] #13361340 12/04/19 07:21 PM
M
McLovin’ Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted by ETXfisher91
I wish we could Pin this post and keep it around so we can come back 3-5 years and say we told you so... My prediction is BPT won't be existent in 3-5 years. They won't get another second of my time after the [censored] Jim pulled with Luke Dunkin.

Yeah, that deal with Luke was very low rent...if that’s the kind of guys that are running this new deal, they deserve all the negative press they are getting from most of the tournament fishermen

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: sprigsss] #13361346 12/04/19 07:24 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
So do the best 5 Tournament fishermen constitute a minority of the consumers buying the products these guys are Selling?

Most of the guys I know that don’t Tournament fish have a pretty simple tackle collection, whatever rod looked good to them at Wal-Mart, and aren’t upgrading their electronics to the latest and the greatest.

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Jones] #13361347 12/04/19 07:25 PM
shotgunwilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Chris, the data is on their platforms across digital, social, in app, live and TV. Fans “vote” with their time, attention and eyeballs. You don’t need a poll to see how many people are on your platforms, how long they’re there, how many times they login, how many live minutes they consume and how much TV they watch.

All that data and analytics is easy work in a 2019/20 world. Audience insights, demographics and measurement is how you know. Not a poll on the TFF.

Again, I’m not arguing with anyone or trying to talk them out of their opinion. Just saying we should add quant into the discussion if we want it to be meaningful and by meaningful I mean accurate.

Yeah... but you can also skew numbers and cherry pick "data" in your favor to make something look like it's all roses, which is a very common practice in everything from public advertisement graphics, to proposals to sponsors, to the financial books within a company. Just a minor example would be the [censored] "BPT" vs "BASS" earnings graphic they put out at the beginning of the year.

This is the first year and they had a large influx and boost to viewings because it was new. (Even though everyone I know watched maybe the first 2 tournaments, and then never had a clue when the others were happening and didn't care.) I'm willing to bet that the growth will not continue in the next few years to come. (In its current format.) Smoke and mirrors only last so long.

Last edited by shotgunwilly; 12/04/19 07:30 PM.
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: KingOutdoorsCo] #13361365 12/04/19 07:46 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
[quote=sprigsss][quote=Mark Jones]

I would argue that the guys on this forum DO make up a large majority. This is a FISHING FORUM. If we aren't buying the stuff then who is? The people who fish 3 times a year and buy their stuff from Wal Mart? The large majority of people on here seem to have their reservations about the BPT. I know Mark Jones keeps saying well the majority yadda yadda yadda, I mean, if you're going to say stuff like that then back it up. You keep throwing weight around like you are important so I would like to see some proof, because the proof that I see across ALL social media is that 2/3 of the people commenting and following fishing do not care about BPT. I also listened to one of the biggest names in Bass fishing talk about why he is leaving the BPT, how they treated him after, and about how he thinks BASS is bigger, stronger and better, and honestly I choose to listen to him over someone I have never even heard of. Also, BPT likes to throw around the fact that they have all these hours on TV. Neat. Who cares if people aren't interested. Most of the pro's that we used to hear of a bunch about have virtually disappeared. I don't see hear about Skeet Reese, Jason Christie, Aaron Martens and a bunch of guys like that because unless they make the final day on BPT, they get no air time. I have watched 3 episodes because I want to make sure of my reasonings for disliking something and the show is boring and the commentary is awful. I also think this is a fly by the seat of their pants trail that keeps changing every single tournament because it was poorly put together in the first place. My opinion. But then again, I am also a nobody.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: shotgunwilly] #13361371 12/04/19 07:49 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by shotgunwilly

Yeah... but you can also skew numbers and cherry pick "data" in your favor to make something look like it's all roses, which is a very common practice in everything from public advertisement graphics, to proposals to sponsors, to the financial books within a company. Just a minor example would be the [censored] "BPT" vs "BASS" earnings graphic they put out at the beginning of the year.

This is the first year and they had a large influx and boost to viewings because it was new. (Even though everyone I know watched maybe the first 2 tournaments, and then never had a clue when the others were happening and didn't care.) I'm willing to bet that the growth will not continue in the next few years to come. (In its current format.) Smoke and mirrors only last so long.

You’re assuming all of these things with zero context of their business. I have seen the data and not the data used in a presentation but the raw data and metrics.

They look at a lot of data points across all of their channels and each is different and provides different insight into the platforms, their reach and the consumer. It’s a learning process and I’ll say again. It’s the end of year one. Do you honestly believe there won’t be improvements/adjustments based on their learnings behind this data?

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Jones] #13361374 12/04/19 07:52 PM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T

My question is if the majority likes the dink fest then why are they changing their biggest tournament? So far they have acknowledged every issue that has come across the internet forums such as the live well bashing and stuff. Now they are trying to tackle the little fish mentality. That doesnt exactly say that they believe the majority likes what they are doing. I understand that things will change but if all was good then why such drastic measures to make changes, obvious fluff pieces to address the stigma and so on? That's not a bash. I see them surviving in some fashion and I knew from day one there would be lots of changes. Just simply my opinion

Last edited by the skipper; 12/04/19 07:53 PM.
Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: Mark Jones] #13361375 12/04/19 07:53 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Yes Champ for 2020 it will.

Are you saying the Heavy Hitter event is replacing the Redcrest in 2020? ...I thought it was an add on event. I might be misunderstanding your reply to Champ though.

Re: MLF Hearing Fans but not Listening [Re: J.H.S.] #13361376 12/04/19 07:54 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Josh Seale
[quote=sprigsss][quote=Mark Jones]

I would argue that the guys on this forum DO make up a large majority. This is a FISHING FORUM. If we aren't buying the stuff then who is? The people who fish 3 times a year and buy their stuff from Wal Mart? The large majority of people on here seem to have their reservations about the BPT. I know Mark Jones keeps saying well the majority yadda yadda yadda, I mean, if you're going to say stuff like that then back it up. You keep throwing weight around like you are important so I would like to see some proof, because the proof that I see across ALL social media is that 2/3 of the people commenting and following fishing do not care about BPT. I also listened to one of the biggest names in Bass fishing talk about why he is leaving the BPT, how they treated him after, and about how he thinks BASS is bigger, stronger and better, and honestly I choose to listen to him over someone I have never even heard of. Also, BPT likes to throw around the fact that they have all these hours on TV. Neat. Who cares if people aren't interested. Most of the pro's that we used to hear of a bunch about have virtually disappeared. I don't see hear about Skeet Reese, Jason Christie, Aaron Martens and a bunch of guys like that because unless they make the final day on BPT, they get no air time. I have watched 3 episodes because I want to make sure of my reasonings for disliking something and the show is boring and the commentary is awful. I also think this is a fly by the seat of their pants trail that keeps changing every single tournament because it was poorly put together in the first place. My opinion. But then again, I am also a nobody.

Lol, I’m not throwing my weight around. I’m answering comments and trying to do so with facts. I’ve provided plenty of insight here. I can’t provide their internal numbers. Surely you understand that.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide