Print Thread
How long do you stay with what you are throwing? #13347028 11/19/19 08:40 PM
H
hadite81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Not a bunch of experience with bass fishing, usually throw soft plastics/worms most of the time.
How long will you typically stay with a presentation before switching up?

bought some top water and jigs, just never get around to throwing them, since I can't give up the plastics...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347055 11/19/19 09:10 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I normally fish a pattern for 30 minutes of so, before re switching to another bait presentation, If they won't bite one, but you know the fish are there, then I start switching more frequently. Maybe evert 15 to 20 minutes until I get bit on something. Normally, when you figure it out, it is a pretty good bite. Hope this he;[s.

Tight lines,, keep safe and good luck.
Thad Rains

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347065 11/19/19 09:37 PM
EastTexasBassin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
On my first spot of the morning I'm changing quickly to determine the mood of the fish. I might make just 2 or 3 casts before picking up something else and I might go through 6 or 7 different presentations in the first 15 minutes. That's assuming that I'm starting on a spot that I know is holding fish. When I get bit on something, I'll give it more time.

If I'm just covering water, I'll throw 2 or 3 different lures at each piece of cover until I get an idea of whats working best that day. Then I'll just throw what I'm getting the most hits with and cover more water faster.

Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347549 11/20/19 01:30 PM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Longer than I probably should. I throw a lot of big swimbaits and can go for a few hours without even getting a bite before I finally switch to something else. But I’m not interested in booking “keepers” so it doesn’t bother me one bit.

“Slide”
Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347557 11/20/19 01:35 PM
Fishinfellow Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Certain times of year I'll stick with a specific bait (usually a TX rig worm or Jig) indefinitely. Probably shouldn't but I'm hard headed.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347587 11/20/19 02:13 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Honestly, I will throw the same lures for hours and not get bit.

Other times I will catch a nice fish and 5 minutes later I'm throwing something different.

Makes no sense to me either.

Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347621 11/20/19 02:48 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by hadite81
Not a bunch of experience with bass fishing, usually throw soft plastics/worms most of the time.

bought some top water and jigs, just never get around to throwing them, since I can't give up the plastics...

It helps to have a basic knowledge of the fish's behavior. Water temp also plays a big factor. Probably would be throwin a top water plug when the water is 50 degrees but the bass can't read the manuals. I am guessing you are bank fishing?

Soft plastics are very versatile. You can slowly drag a C-rigged worm in 20' or jerk a weightless Fluke just under the surface in 12 inches. Both will catch fish.

I would stick to the basics. A small squarebill crankbait gets bit almost year round. A spinnerbait is also good if the brush or moss is too thick to work a bait with treble hooks.

One of the keys to knowing how long to stay with any particular bait is to know what tools to use for the given job at hand that day. If you show up to a lake or pond and it has thick grass all around it, I would start with a weightless Fluke or Senko type bait. If it is more open with brush I would start with a spinnerbait or crankbait. Stick to basic colors too. Chart w/ blue back on crankbait and chart & white spinnerbait. Don't get too caught up in the blade configurations.

I will always start with a moving bait if I can to see if there are any actively feeding fish in the area. If there are six fish sitting around a brush pile there will always be a couple that will be more aggressive than others. Try the spinner or CB 5-6 casts first then if no takers try the soft baits. If no takers after that, move along.

Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347625 11/20/19 02:51 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
If I’m getting bit, I’ll stay with what I’m throwing until something changes
No bites for 15minutes and I’m around fish and presenting the lure well; I’ll change the lure/presentation. Two or three changes without success and I’m changing location

[Linked Image]
Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347658 11/20/19 03:07 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
It all has to do with the situation to me. If I pull up on a point and there is bait and fish on the graph I'll start with my goto this time of year, a crank bait, I'll fish it through the area and if I get no takers I'll fish back through with something different, maybe drag a spinner bait or swim jig through there. Just looking for some kind or reaction. Now on days where there's no wind or nothing that stands out and I'm just structure fishing or fishing a line of standing timber. I might throw a jig and Sinko all day, just kinda swapping back and forth as I cover the area till I figure out if they want a fast fall or a bait that just flutters down in front of them. Then I'll stay with that till something changes, winds pick up, clouds move in, what ever might change the condition.

Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347674 11/20/19 03:18 PM
F
forkduc Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Usually too long😳

Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347752 11/20/19 04:22 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I will keep a pitching rod in my hand until i make them bite. If they don't, then i zero

Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: Ken A.] #13347797 11/20/19 05:11 PM
H
hadite81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
I have a kayak and jon boat, both with good quality depth/fish finders. I have always caught with T rigged worms, whacky rig and Ned rig. Just have never caught a fish on any other type lure. I own them all, just don't give them the time they deserve I guess.

Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by hadite81

It helps to have a basic knowledge of the fish's behavior. Water temp also plays a big factor. Probably would be throwin a top water plug when the water is 50 degrees but the bass can't read the manuals. I am guessing you are bank fishing?

Soft plastics are very versatile. You can slowly drag a C-rigged worm in 20' or jerk a weightless Fluke just under the surface in 12 inches. Both will catch fish.

I would stick to the basics. A small squarebill crankbait gets bit almost year round. A spinnerbait is also good if the brush or moss is too thick to work a bait with treble hooks.

One of the keys to knowing how long to stay with any particular bait is to know what tools to use for the given job at hand that day. If you show up to a lake or pond and it has thick grass all around it, I would start with a weightless Fluke or Senko type bait. If it is more open with brush I would start with a spinnerbait or crankbait. Stick to basic colors too. Chart w/ blue back on crankbait and chart & white spinnerbait. Don't get too caught up in the blade configurations.

I will always start with a moving bait if I can to see if there are any actively feeding fish in the area. If there are six fish sitting around a brush pile there will always be a couple that will be more aggressive than others. Try the spinner or CB 5-6 casts first then if no takers try the soft baits. If no takers after that, move along.

Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: hadite81] #13347926 11/20/19 07:39 PM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

Seasonal patterns, fish location, temps, weather and wind dictate where I start and how long I stay with a bait.

The reason it's on the end of the rod is because it's worked before under those conditions.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: How long do you stay with what you are throwing? [Re: reeltexan] #13347989 11/20/19 09:16 PM
TBassYates Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by reeltexan

Seasonal patterns, fish location, temps, weather and wind dictate where I start and how long I stay with a bait.

The reason it's on the end of the rod is because it's worked before under those conditions.

That’s me. I tend to stick with baits for a long time that I have confidence in. But believe it or not if I am getting a decent bite on a bait, say for instance if I am going down a tree line with a Spinnerbait or Chatterbait and catching fish, I won’t hesitate to switch to a jig or big worm looking for a bigger less active fish to bite. It has paid off many times by switching when the fish are biting instead of the other way around.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide