Print Thread
Don;t make my mistake #13344485 11/17/19 03:41 AM
O
Ocelot Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
O
Usually attach my keys to clip on pfd and put in pocket of pfd when I have the pfd on.
Yesterday put the key in the pdf before i had it on and laid it in back of kayak
Got about 50 feet from the ramp in my kayak and realized I did not have my pfd on.
Quick look in back confirmed it was there and I quickly put it on.
Just changing my routine a little made me think I had my pfd on when I did not.
Stay safe out there and be sure to have your pfd on.
Especially as the water is colder can zap your strength very quickly.
There is nothing out there worth risking your life for.

Re: Don;t make my mistake [Re: Ocelot] #13344769 11/17/19 04:23 PM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Good advice and reminder this time of year.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: Don;t make my mistake [Re: Ocelot] #13345859 11/18/19 05:22 PM
J
JohnF67 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by Ocelot

Just changing my routine a little made me think I had my pfd on when I did not.
Stay safe out there and be sure to have your pfd on.
Especially as the water is colder can zap your strength very quickly.

It's nuts how changing one step in the process of loading the kayak and getting it from the truck to the water can mess me up. I got to the bottom of the ramp once and realized that the reason for the big hole in the floor of the my Topwater PDL was because the PDL was in the truck.

I've been fishing from canoes/kayaks since I was a kid. Since I was about 13 I've only turtled one once, but I promised my wife I'd always wear my PDF regardless of weather conditions or depth of water. Last March at Georgetown Lake I decided to see if the reviewers were right and you could stand up in a Topwater. Turns out I could stand up...I just couldn't do it for very long. The air temp was 65, the water was 47. Glad I had my PDF on, because hitting the cold water certainly knocked the wind out of me.

Last edited by JohnF67; 11/18/19 05:24 PM. Reason: spell check is my friend
Re: Don;t make my mistake [Re: Ocelot] #13345983 11/18/19 07:56 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Agree with the need to stick to a routine. cheers I'd been following a set routine for many years when I got out of it one day. Was loading up after an all day outing and was exhausted. Pull kayak up the ramp and slid it over to the side so others could use ramp while I go to get my car. Take paddle to car first as that is what I've left behind a few times over the years, then rods and tackle, then surf to summit seat. Last but not least, I throw all the trash that has accumulated in my kayak, into the trash can. Clean and jerk kayak on top of my head, then walk it over to car and put kayak in J racks. Once in racks I start tying down. On this day a guy comes over to look at my kayak as I'm loading it into rack. We talk for about half an hour.. about everything from loading, storing, learning to paddle, to where to fish for what. Got completely out of my routine and when the cold front hit with high wind and rain, we said our goodbyes and I jumped into my car and headed home. I'm traveling west with a strong north wind of about 30+ miles an hour. As I turn north on to interstate hwy, I'm going straight into the wind. At 65 mph (+30 north wind), we have liftoff. I watched in horror as my kayak (in j racks) lifted up and flew out of rack. Watched in side mirror as it hit nose first at about 70 degree angle, right into the pavement. It bounced one time and slid parallel to me as I was in the fast traffic lane on the left side of 4 lane hwy. I hit my breaks and as I came to a stop, my kayak stops sliding almost exactly where I would position it to load. roflmao I hopped out, threw it in rack, tied it down like a calf roper in about 6 seconds with traffic zooming past me. Yep, I'd gotten out of my routine and forgotten to tie it down after loading it up. bang I thanked my lucky stars I didn't cause a major accident.

[Linked Image]

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide