Page 1 of 2 1 2
Spine Problems? #13343730 11/16/19 12:54 PM
B
broncos1 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Don’t know if I’m allowed to post this but here I go. I am recovering from a ACDF (fused neck) post op 5 weeks, I have also had a microdisctimy about 5 years ago. Went to my PT on Thursday night and I told him my goals, back to fishing and kayak fishing are just a few of them. He told me the kayak thing isn’t the best idea because of the sitting and twisting motion involved in propelling the craft. So next Thursday I’m going to ask him about boating. So my question is does anybody have back problems from boating and if so has anyone found a certain boat that will not wear out the back or neck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if I’m not allow to post on this topic I apologize in advance. Thank you. Oh and I am not released to fish for about 7-9 months, no sudden movement so setting the hook is a no no for know. Ugh it’s going to be a long year. Thank you

Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13343744 11/16/19 01:27 PM
M
MathGeek Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
My own experience with back problems from boating while fishing were mostly solved by obtaining and using a chair with back support most of the time in the boat.

Motion of the boat without back support was the big problem for me.

�Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?" - The Messiah
Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13343772 11/16/19 01:53 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Center Console. While driving, I always stand up, which helps a lot with my back. My knees act as shock absorbers. While fishing, I have plenty of room to walk around and stretch. Take along another person to toss and retrieve the anchor!

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13343773 11/16/19 01:53 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
mad Double post!

Last edited by Fishin' Nut; 11/16/19 01:54 PM.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13343785 11/16/19 02:05 PM
B
Bones72 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
If you are really into kayaks I would ask the doc about a pedal yak or a motor yak. The chairs they have these days seem pretty awesome. I am in a similar situation. I have not got to the point that anything needs to be fused but it is coming as things progress with arthritis in my neck and lower back and disks fall apart in my upper back. As far as boats go I find larger craft with good seats to be better. Little john boats especially flat bottoms are the worst as you feel everything coming up through the boat. As already mentioned center consoles with a solid V hull or tunnel hull that help beat out chop would seem the best option.

Last edited by Bones72; 11/16/19 02:06 PM.
Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13344004 11/16/19 07:42 PM
C
Choogie Chunker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I’m 68 and had microdisectomy in lower back around’94 and 2 joints in neck fused in ‘04. I don’t have any problems in the boat but it’s been a while for me and everyone’s case is different. I’ve never been in a kayak so I can’t help you there. I just wanted to encourage you that it’s possible to heal pretty well even if it takes time. My best advice though is heed your doc’s advice and don’t rush it. Good luck.

'91 Skeeter 200SX Yamaha 200
It's hard to stumble when you're on your knees.
I'm not old. My bobbers just float a little lower than they used to.

Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13344153 11/16/19 10:44 PM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I've had 3 back surgeries and run a 21 foot bass boat. If it gets rough I sit on a docking bumper, helps absorb the impact on the lower back. I'm still really careful and after almost 7 years in this boat I can drive it.

If you want to stay in a kayak, take a look at a pirogue. I fished out of one for years back in the 80's before kayaks were used to fish out of, or were so popular. My last one had a foot control trolling motor and a regular bass boat seat in it. I could swivel and turn and fish all day in it. The down side is I had to haul it in the bed of my pickup. Take a look at Water Moccasin in Stonewall, LA. I had one of his first boats. And now you can get one on a trailer!!

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Spine Problems? [Re: Fishin' Nut] #13344198 11/16/19 11:26 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
Center Console. While driving, I always stand up, which helps a lot with my back. My knees act as shock absorbers. While fishing, I have plenty of room to walk around and stretch. Take along another person to toss and retrieve the anchor!

^^^Nailed it^^^
I had a spinal fusion 3 years ago. Going from sitting to standing can sometimes be painful. Rough water ride in a bass boat about kills me. Switched to a bay boat and wonder why I didn't years ago.

Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13347098 11/19/19 10:30 PM
herbsteiner Offline
Angler
Angler
Within the past 5 weeks I've had a bulging disc between L4-L5 which has weakened my left leg, with varying levels of pain. Trips to my chiropractor, my GP physician, and a neurosurgeon have resulted in physical therapy the past 3 weeks, and a microdiscectomy has been recommended by the neurosurgeon, whose opinion I respect. Physical therapy has reduced my pain level to only needing one ibuprofen (or naproxen) in the AM and one in the evening to maintain an acceptable level of comfort and mobility. However my left leg and foot are still weaker than my right, and mobility of the left ankle is impaired. I'd really like to keep with the PT, but I've been told I am risking permanent nerve damage if I don't correct the situation surgically fairly soon.

Has anyone recently had a lower lumbar microdiscectomy, and if so, how was your recovery time and rehab time, and were you able to return to fishing fairly soon after the procedure?

Re: Spine Problems? [Re: Bones72] #13347225 11/20/19 12:34 AM
H2O Seeker Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Bones72
If you are really into kayaks I would ask the doc about a pedal yak or a motor yak. The chairs they have these days seem pretty awesome. I am in a similar situation. I have not got to the point that anything needs to be fused but it is coming as things progress with arthritis in my neck and lower back and disks fall apart in my upper back. As far as boats go I find larger craft with good seats to be better. Little john boats especially flat bottoms are the worst as you feel everything coming up through the boat. As already mentioned center consoles with a solid V hull or tunnel hull that help beat out chop would seem the best option.

^^^THIS^^^ and FIND ANOTHER P.T. Preferably someone who deals with athletes or active adults. Your PT has probably never kayaked a day in his life and may have it in his head you are doing Eskimo rolls. As mentinoned with the supportive seats and adjustability of modern 'yaks you should be good to go after post operative rehab is concluded and then a regimented home program. Trust me you will do more twisting moving laundry from the washer to the dryer or transferring dishes to the sink than you will paddling your 'yak.

The Ben Hogan center and the Smart Institute for Sports Med in Ft. Worth are 2 that I have had some dealings with over the years.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13347828 11/20/19 05:42 PM
J
jaymzinsa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
As an MD (though not an ortho), a couple of things come to mind immediately. First, how old are you and what is your overall health condition? Second, was this a single level or double level fusion? My response is meant for a single level as double level fusions, while relieving pain and mobility issues, will limit post surgical activities. That said, if you are under 70 and in good health, meaning not obese, diabetic, hypertensive, high cholesterol, etc, then you should recover well and regain most of your pre-injury mobility and functionality to the point that you should be able to return to your normal level of activity with some modifications as long as you complete your rehab regimen. If you have anything mentioned above, especially obesity and diabetes, that will prolong recovery time significantly and will reduce your ability to return to normal. Since you were kayaking prior to this I will assume good health and go from there. As i mentioned as long as you follow the rehab protocol you should be able to resume your normal activities. Friends and patients have recovered from neck and spine surgery to be able to play tennis, basketball, golf, hiking, weight lifting, boating, even skiing and jogging. I agree with a statement above, find a PT who works with athletes. You won't be doing white water stuff or blasting in a bass boat at 50mph but there should be no reason not to resume kayak fishing. You are now 5 weeks post-op which is almost half way to the important 3 month mark. This is when the bone fusion should be healed to the point where most surgeons release their patients to resume more strenuous activities. Im sure you have some imaging scheduled to confirm proper bone healing. At that point start to increase your strength training. You don't have to become a gym rat but it is important to strengthen not just your neck but your whole body to better stabilize the injury site and believe it or not this will also improve your overall bone health. Just my 2 cents for what its worth. Hope all goes well with your recovery.

Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13347842 11/20/19 06:01 PM
J
Jim Nelson Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
My problem has been mid back, right between the shoulder blades. When I talk to a Doc they always focus on the upper and lower and I have to always redirect them to mid back. Have spent months with rehab. Did injections. Had referrals to surgeons. All to no avail. Can't kayak at all any more. Loved it and like the ability to get where others can't. Went to a poling skiff instead. For the best ride, pontoon boat.

Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13348355 11/21/19 04:27 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I have an older Champion bass boat and it is about as smooth of a ride even in rough water as I could ever hope for. I have back problems and last thing that I want is a boat that bounces or slams in rough water. It is harder some days to get out of the low seats in a bass boat. Standing hurts my back worse than sitting so I wouldn't want a boat to stand and drive in. I've often thought about getting a pontoon boat because the seating is better, I can have shade for those hot days and have benches that I could lie down on. It's hard to give up the bass boat though.

If you get a boat do yourself a favor. Buy an ulterra trolling motor. You'd be surprised how much better the back is at the end of a day not having to lift a trolling motor to deploy or stow it and with the spotlock, you don't have any need to use an anchor. They are worth every penny.

Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13349713 11/22/19 05:23 PM
blackhorse Offline
Angler
Angler
fused at C5,6,7 and L4-5. good surgeon, good chiropractor and keeping weight off has worked for me. I can still do tournaments, have rode motorcycle cross country several times.
by the way back was done in 1981 and fish out of 20i.

Re: Spine Problems? [Re: broncos1] #13349808 11/22/19 06:32 PM
H
hadite81 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Can't stand for more than 20-30 mins without severe pain, but can sit all day in my Jackson big rig...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide