Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: H.Town_paddler] #13340388 11/12/19 11:13 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by H.Town_paddler
I did it a year ago or so. I don’t see the problem.

If a kid used it to find out I was their father why would that be bad? Who wouldn’t want to know their own child? If the cops use it to convict a murder or rapist, how is that bad? If insurance uses it to jack up rates on someone with a specific gene, the argument could be made it would lower health insurance costs for people without that gene.

If you get pulled over on your way home tonight and the cop asks you for permission to search your car, will you let him?

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Derek 🐝] #13340390 11/12/19 11:14 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
sad thing is even if you don't "participate" if a close relative does they'll still have your profile.
A buddy of mine got tracked by an unknown 30year old daughter when his sister joined up.

Great! I'm f'd.

Quit leaving your DNA everywhere.

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Kattelyn] #13340392 11/12/19 11:14 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
LOL

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Kattelyn] #13340396 11/12/19 11:18 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
A bunch of misinformation to unravel here. First of all the website in question is GEDmatch. This is completely different than 23andme and ancestory.com.

1. With GEDmatch users willing upload their raw DNA data and make it searchable for genealogy. With basically every other site you can choose not to make your info searchable.
2. With most other sites, if you choose to to keep your information private, law enforcement could only access your DNA with a direct search warrant issued by a judge. If they can get a warrant to search for you on a DNA website, they could just as easily get one to search your house and get your DNA via a much easier and more conventional means.
4. When you send your DNA into a site like 23andMe, they actually have zero idea who you actually are. They send you a spit tube with a number on it. You send them back a spit tube with a number on it. They have absolutely no way of know who's spit they were actually sent. Thus the spit is only connected to the number it was assigned and not an individual.
3. Basically everyone can already be searched anyway. DNA is pulled from every convicted felon. If you've had a retaliative out to a 3rd cousin who's been convicted of a felony in the past 20 years or so, they can already find you.
4. You get a vast trove of medical information from a DNA analysis. If you have fantastic genes, you might not learn much. If you are less lucky, what you learn could absolutely save your life. (You can basically find out your risk levels for every single known disease). So it's a risk reward type deal. If you think you might commit a violent crime, probably not worth the information you'd gain. If you don't plan on committing serious crimes, it might very well be worth it.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Kattelyn] #13340454 11/13/19 12:10 AM
T
TCM3 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T

TRUMP 2024
Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Kattelyn] #13340677 11/13/19 11:31 AM
B
blooper961 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
My DNA does not matter but computers do.
You are forever in cyberspace when you are on a computer.
Big brother is reading this right now.

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13340696 11/13/19 12:32 PM
BlueNitro Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
I would never willingly give my dna to anyone.

I would but she better be cute!!!

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: BlueNitro] #13340711 11/13/19 12:51 PM
David Welcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BlueNitro

I was literally raped when I was in High School by one of my girlfriends. I had passed out, when I awoke we were tangled in the bed sheets butt naked. I'm still pissed to this day! mainly because I don't remember a dang thing! I've often thought about going back and pressing charges.

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: COFF] #13340824 11/13/19 02:53 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by COFF
Originally Posted by H.Town_paddler
I did it a year ago or so. I don’t see the problem.

If a kid used it to find out I was their father why would that be bad? Who wouldn’t want to know their own child? If the cops use it to convict a murder or rapist, how is that bad? If insurance uses it to jack up rates on someone with a specific gene, the argument could be made it would lower health insurance costs for people without that gene.

If you get pulled over on your way home tonight and the cop asks you for permission to search your car, will you let him?

I guess it would depend on the situation. If I asked him why and he didn’t give me a reason and I truly didn’t know why he wanted to search I would probably politely ask for a supervisor. If they still insisted a search I would allow it and then when they found nothing I would probably file a complaint with the police department.

On the other hand, if he said a vehicle matching this description was just seen leaving the scene of a shooting, and we’d like to eliminte you as a suspect, then I could see his point and I’d probably just allow the search, then thank him for his hard work and be on my way.

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Kattelyn] #13340827 11/13/19 02:55 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
I did one. Not really concerned about privacy. I mean its all out there already and if someone really wanted your DNA they could get it in one day anyway.. If you eat off a fork, drink from a cup, spit, smoke, lose a hair from your head... your DNA is all over anyways.

I found out some intresting stuff. I am more Native American than the OP and Elizabeth Warren but more African than that even! Almost 3%!?. The other 94%? English/Irish and Broadly North Western European. A Viking/Scandinavian/Nordic/English type mutt. Shocking stuff I tell you!

My Mom thought for sure it was BS at first... Had to be much more Native American, her mom told her so! And no way there is any African... cannot be! The test is BS.

THEN shows up a fella on the site who matches my DNA 3.5%. He sends me an email. For those who do not know, thats A LOT to match with someone! Pretty close relative. Turns out he is my second cousin, my moms First cousin. Who she never knew about! But he knew the towns, the family names, has pictures even. Seems someone was cheating around and this kid was kind of a bit of a secret. The first thing he told me was that he did not want to cause any trouble in the family.. I told him "Cousin, all them who would be upset about this are long since dead" lol He agreed.

My Mom does not think the test is BS anymore.

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: David Welcher] #13340836 11/13/19 03:03 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by David Welcher
Originally Posted by BlueNitro

I was literally raped when I was in High School by one of my girlfriends. I had passed out, when I awoke we were tangled in the bed sheets butt naked. I'm still pissed to this day! mainly because I don't remember a dang thing! I've often thought about going back and pressing charges.

This happens more often than people will believe. Far more often than alien abductions.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13340860 11/13/19 03:23 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
I did one. Not really concerned about privacy. I mean its all out there already and if someone really wanted your DNA they could get it in one day anyway.. If you eat off a fork, drink from a cup, spit, smoke, lose a hair from your head... your DNA is all over anyways.

I found out some intresting stuff. I am more Native American than the OP and Elizabeth Warren but more African than that even! Almost 3%!?. The other 94%? English/Irish and Broadly North Western European. A Viking/Scandinavian/Nordic/English type mutt. Shocking stuff I tell you!

My Mom thought for sure it was BS at first... Had to be much more Native American, her mom told her so! And no way there is any African... cannot be! The test is BS.

THEN shows up a fella on the site who matches my DNA 3.5%. He sends me an email. For those who do not know, thats A LOT to match with someone! Pretty close relative. Turns out he is my second cousin, my moms First cousin. Who she never knew about! But he knew the towns, the family names, has pictures even. Seems someone was cheating around and this kid was kind of a bit of a secret. The first thing he told me was that he did not want to cause any trouble in the family.. I told him "Cousin, all them who would be upset about this are long since dead" lol He agreed.

My Mom does not think the test is BS anymore.

If you download your raw data from whatever site you got this done on, you can then upload it to https://promethease.com/ and get a full medical analysis done. They don't keep the raw data and if you are concerned about it, just upload the raw data file with a non descriptive numerical file name. Zero chance it can ever be tied back to you, and you can find out your risk for ball cancer and much more!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Kattelyn] #13341262 11/13/19 10:13 PM
H
hadite81 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I have donated DNA numerous times, but never to a company!

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Kattelyn] #13341265 11/13/19 10:15 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Supreme Court bound in a hurry.

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Those DNA websites... [Re: Kattelyn] #13341307 11/13/19 10:49 PM
K
kcb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Guess I'm clueless. Wife and daughter were all into these kits and got me one for a gift. I think it was ancestory dot com. Did the spit in the vial and mailed it off. I was thinking I was going to get back more info than I actually got which was just what countries made up my heritage. Europe, Scotland etc. I did get one email from someone that stated we were some kind of relatives and didn't respond. I asked my wife is that it? She said to get more info it cost more $ to back with them and do more. I'm out....what a racket!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide