Print Thread
How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing #13335576 11/08/19 05:12 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Here's a great introductory video on how to tie a basic hair rig - this rig will increase your hookup ratio greatly over putting bait directly onto the hook and will result in more fish on the bank! fish

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13335616 11/08/19 12:02 PM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Awesome vid, as a follow up I would recommend this clear, no nonsense approach to classic rigging. Really good stuff....

Re: How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13337914 11/11/19 12:58 AM
A
Akos Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
These are great beginner videos. I would like to also highlight the following points:
1) on the first video at 3:50 the position of the hook (I highlight this second just to explain easier what i mean). There are plenty of mistakes what people do usually. That basic hair rig is great of single sinking bait. Still it is recommended to reel the hair rig around the hook, depends on the length of the rig. Exactly for that reason how the hook and the bait is at 3:50. with the reeling the bait will be in a better position with the bottom part of the hook.
2) the basic hair rig above can lead wrong catch in case of pop up baits. The issue is the same like at point number 1. recommended to use silicon to fix it or most of the time simple reeling on the hook can help.
3) the hook type is important as well for hair rig
4) the length of the whole rig is important as well especially with Method Feeder. Also based on the carps behavior the length can change longer, shorter etc.
5) in the US, I believe it is also recommended to use jelly wire for the rigs due to catfish and plenty of shellfish

I hope it was helpful. In case it is duplicated information just let me know and i wont write these in the future to avoid spamming smile Just let me know.

Re: How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing [Re: Akos] #13338089 11/11/19 02:54 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Akos
These are great beginner videos. I would like to also highlight the following points:
1) on the first video at 3:50 the position of the hook (I highlight this second just to explain easier what i mean). There are plenty of mistakes what people do usually. That basic hair rig is great of single sinking bait. Still it is recommended to reel the hair rig around the hook, depends on the length of the rig. Exactly for that reason how the hook and the bait is at 3:50. with the reeling the bait will be in a better position with the bottom part of the hook.
2) the basic hair rig above can lead wrong catch in case of pop up baits. The issue is the same like at point number 1. recommended to use silicon to fix it or most of the time simple reeling on the hook can help.
3) the hook type is important as well for hair rig
4) the length of the whole rig is important as well especially with Method Feeder. Also based on the carps behavior the length can change longer, shorter etc.
5) in the US, I believe it is also recommended to use jelly wire for the rigs due to catfish and plenty of shellfish

I hope it was helpful. In case it is duplicated information just let me know and i wont write these in the future to avoid spamming smile Just let me know.

Lots of helpful tips, thanks for sharing! cheers

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13338345 11/11/19 04:57 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Good to know. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13345512 11/18/19 12:27 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Thank you for posting this. I still want you to come fishing at fork with me and your dad is wecome also. I got lots of pesky catfish biting and carp rolling on top. Lets catch them.

Re: How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13345550 11/18/19 01:20 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Thank you for posting this. I still want you to come fishing at fork with me and your dad is wecome also. I got lots of pesky catfish biting and carp rolling on top. Lets catch them.

Re: How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing [Re: HumanSeine] #13346166 11/18/19 11:23 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by HumanSeine

I'll have to take you up on that! Gonna be busy for a bit but the big girls will be biting until March or so! I'll let you know after my trip in early December.

[Linked Image]
Re: How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13347126 11/19/19 10:58 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Ifvyou like to catch catfish we can get a bunch of those. Lake fork.us still probably the best fishing lake in the world. I wish the grass would come back.

Re: How to Tie and Bait a Hair Rig for Carp Fishing [Re: HumanSeine] #13347343 11/20/19 02:23 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by HumanSeine
Ifvyou like to catch catfish we can get a bunch of those. Lake fork.us still probably the best fishing lake in the world. I wish the grass would come back.

I don't mind catching them but I've never targeted them intentionally. You're right about it being a great Catfish lake though, my biggest Channel from Fork is 11lbs!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide