Page 1 of 2 1 2
T-Rig question for winter/shallows #13325655 10/29/19 03:07 AM
S
Synstars Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Hey, n00b fisher and new to Texas (live in Sugar Land) here and question on Trigs with bank fishing. I have been using the following with previous success:

5" Yama senkos
7.5 yum ribbons

In WA state, weightless worked wonders on the SMB. However, I have been getting murdered out here in TX with the wind lately and assuming its related to no fish in the area and wind combo.

How much weight is too much weight for shallow waters? I have been using 1/8 bullet w/ plug but well, being a n00b wasn't sure if this was sufficient or not. My thoughts was allow it to "dangle" longer but is this the right time of year to do that? Most winter fishing and late fall fishing forums and posts I have found seem to be in much colder climates or Florida.

Any and all help is appreciated.

P.S.- if anyone has additional links for Texas late fall or winter fishing that would be awesome. Trying to learn how to use the following lures now so any tips or links equally appreciated! Thanks, back to googling hehe
Spinner w/ Colorado blades
Square lip
Buzz bait

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Synstars] #13325667 10/29/19 03:23 AM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Weightless Senko, TxRig FTW thumb. Maybe it's a color or bait placement. Tell us more about where you are fishing the Senko and what color you're using. For the Ribbon or craws, up your weight to 3/16 - 5/16 in a bit more wind.

Is there grass present?
Is there timber?
What else can you share?

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: David Burton] #13325689 10/29/19 03:47 AM
S
Synstars Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by David Burton
Weightless Senko, TxRig FTW thumb. Maybe it's a color or bait placement. Tell us more about where you are fishing the Senko and what color you're using. For the Ribbon or craws, up your weight to 3/16 - 5/16 in a bit more wind.

Is there grass present?
Is there timber?
What else can you share?

Hey David! Well I try to toss it into or edge of grass, timber no luck really in the areas I have been fishing. I live in Sugar Land and the ponds are pretty bare with some grassy spots on the edges. If I try a pond I toss it along the drop. But if I see any coverage whether old or new timber I try to pitch it in there and let it sit for a bit.

I have just marked a couple spots on my map to check in the morning if the rain isn't bad for access to the Brazo's River. The two spots I have found so far for bank fishing the current had been really strong but kept the locations for possible catfishing (I hope).

Senko colors have been watermelon and green
Ribbons dark blue and plum

Spinners I have been using charchreus or red/charchreus. So far only picked one LMB at Buffalo Run in Missouri City and the rest of my bass have been off senkos or ribbons. I have also been pondering the last hour if I have been retrieving too quickly as well... *watches more videos and reads* LoL

Last edited by Synstars; 10/29/19 03:48 AM.
Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Synstars] #13325691 10/29/19 03:49 AM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Washington state huh ? How do you vote ?

Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Synstars] #13325819 10/29/19 12:27 PM
S
Synstars Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Like everybody else, I check the box cool

Personal rule of mine I do not talk about three things with peeps I dunno: religion, politics,Sexual identification/orientation.

Some people tend to take these very seriously with little deviation from their own belief. ^.^

Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Synstars] #13325840 10/29/19 12:45 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Synstars
Like everybody else, I check the box cool

Personal rule of mine I do not talk about three things with peeps I dunno: religion, politics,Sexual identification/orientation.

Some people tend to take these very seriously with little deviation from their own belief. ^.^

Good answer!

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Synstars] #13325859 10/29/19 12:56 PM
reeltexan Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

In windy conditions on "weightless" sticks and worms, I like to include a BB (very small) split shot on the line just above the lure. It provides just enough weight to keep the bait sinking slowly.
Also, always cast either directly WITH the wind or into it to keep the bow out of the line. I've done this successfully with weightless lures in gales up to 35 mph. You will still be able to see the line jump or feel the hit.

Texas rigs - simply use the lightest weight you can get by with under the conditions you have. That might be 1/16 oz or 1/2 oz. depending on wind, wave action, grass, depth, etc.

Good Luck!

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: reeltexan] #13325876 10/29/19 01:08 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by reeltexan

In windy conditions on "weightless" sticks and worms, I like to include a BB (very small) split shot on the line just above the lure. It provides just enough weight to keep the bait sinking slowly.
Also, always cast either directly WITH the wind or into it to keep the bow out of the line. I've done this successfully with weightless lures in gales up to 35 mph. You will still be able to see the line jump or feel the hit.

Texas rigs - simply use the lightest weight you can get by with under the conditions you have. That might be 1/16 oz or 1/2 oz. depending on wind, wave action, grass, depth, etc.

Good Luck!

+1 good advice for a Noob. If you don't want to mess with split shots I like there a lot for soft stick baits. I use the 3/64 oz mostly. Normally I try to insert it in the middle of the bait but sometimes I'll stick it in the tail of the Senko. It makes the bait back up on a slack line.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ken A.; 10/29/19 01:10 PM.

Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Synstars] #13326353 10/29/19 06:38 PM
harvey walker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
In Texas you must learn to fish wind, I always use the less amount of weight I can get away with. The lakes around here don't have much grass or weed beds so I am fishing rocks and timber. Back when we had grass beds I would use just enough weight got punch through it.

Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: harvey walker] #13326406 10/29/19 07:23 PM
S
Synstars Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Interesting advice and info guys, I fished in Sugar Land today for the last two hours and got a lil LMB and a good hit that I wasn't paying enough attention to because it started raining LoL

I forgot to mention I am using a KastKing bait cast legend royal 7:3:1 and their rod that goes with it as an intro baitcast. Not too bad, they did send me free complimentary 15lbs braided line. Now, on my spinning reel I have 12lbs monofilament line. So additional question...

Is braided a decent choice of line for possible timber in the water or should I go back to mono. It seems braided does not eventually sink like mono, would this hinder the weightless T-rig and cause it to move more with the wind and current to never really "drop"?

Originally Posted by harvey walker
In Texas you must learn to fish wind, I always use the less amount of weight I can get away with. The lakes around here don't have much grass or weed beds so I am fishing rocks and timber. Back when we had grass beds I would use just enough weight got punch through it.

Found only two spots in my area with thick grass beds on top, never thought of trying to punch through it with weight I just fished the open pockets because its pretty shallow 2-4 ft. Only caught 14-16" lil dinks there lol

Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Synstars] #13326457 10/29/19 07:57 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
That may be one of your problems, those finesse techniques should be using smaller diameter line, or if you are power fishing the Senko, 15-20 lb flour. You want as neutrally buoyant line as.possible and visibility list probably secondary.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: David Burton] #13326468 10/29/19 08:07 PM
S
Synstars Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by David Burton
That may be one of your problems, those finesse techniques should be using smaller diameter line, or if you are power fishing the Senko, 15-20 lb flour. You want as neutrally buoyant line as.possible and visibility list probably secondary.

Oh dang okay. Think the 12 lbs trilene I have be fine? Or should I go down lower?

Also I am now using a MH rod instead of a M. Could this be another large factor as well?

Last edited by Synstars; 10/29/19 09:34 PM.
Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Synstars] #13326570 10/29/19 09:12 PM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
If you've been fishing weightless and light weights with no luck try increasing your weight until you get results. Sometimes the bass react better to a faster fall. Color can play a key roll also as bass in certain bodies of water react better to one color over another. The neighboring water might require yet a totally different color. Many lakes in Texas have colors that all the guides like to use and no two lakes are the same.

Larry Mosby
Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Synstars] #13326603 10/29/19 09:40 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I will wacky rig a Senko type bait using an Owner 1/0 circle hook and a rubber O ring to help keep it in place. I use 15# Invizx fluorocarbon line because I fish it around grass and timber quite a bit. On a second rod I will have a 4/0 Owner J hook and Tx. rig that one and see which the fish like best that day. Braid bows quite a bit on windy days and I think that hurts your presentation when using weightless baits. If they don't bite the Senko type bait on the Tx. rig I will try a Super Fluke on the same rig and see if that works.

Re: T-Rig question for winter/shallows [Re: Larry Mosby] #13326604 10/29/19 09:41 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Larry Mosby
If you've been fishing weightless and light weights with no luck try increasing your weight until you get results. Sometimes the bass react better to a faster fall. Color can play a key roll also as bass in certain bodies of water react better to one color over another. The neighboring water might require yet a totally different color. Many lakes in Texas have colors that all the guides like to use and no two lakes are the same.

So true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide