Print Thread
Martin Creek help #13309878 10/13/19 09:05 AM
P
photofishin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
taking the family camping at the state park next weekend and will be dragging my bay boat up that area. Not looking for hotspots but would like to do some bass fishing and potentially some crappie fishing there. Looking at the Navionics page, only about half of the lake is mapped. Any suggestions on where to start? I imagine bass should be moving to the backs of creeks chasing shad...but can't see any clearly marked creeks on this lake.

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: photofishin] #13311065 10/14/19 01:22 PM
BAllen91 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
There are a few post on here about how to run the lake, you can search for them if you haven't already. It's not as clear as it looks.

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: photofishin] #13311984 10/15/19 02:33 AM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Don't run down the middle of the lake. The lake is a little low right now and you can see the stumps starting to emerge but there are a zillion of them just under the water. When you leave the state park boat ramp run parallel to the dam to the far side of the lake. You can run that side of the lake to the railroad bridge. After going under the bridge stay on that same side of the lake and you can run it to where you see the cut through to the hot water side. When you cross the lake to get to the hot water side I suggest you go slow there are a few stump there too. The hot water side is also stumpy. It's best if you can find someone familiar with the lake and follow them. Been catching some crappie under the railroad bridge and laydowns. As for bass, fish structure and grass when you can find it. The hydrilla is trying to make a comeback and you should be able to find some. I haven't fished the hot side since last winter but the bridge on that side us usually good for crappie too and with the temps coming down the crappie may be ready to play. There are no boat lanes in this lake so if you're in doubt then back off the throttle. If you can't find any fish shoot me a message. Good luck and good fishin.
Oh yea, they sell a lake map in the park office. It's a little pricey but it's the only map I know of and it's pretty accurate.

Last edited by bush hog; 10/15/19 02:36 AM.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Martin Creek help [Re: bush hog] #13312225 10/15/19 01:17 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by bush hog
Don't run down the middle of the lake. The lake is a little low right now and you can see the stumps starting to emerge but there are a zillion of them just under the water. When you leave the state park boat ramp run parallel to the dam to the far side of the lake. You can run that side of the lake to the railroad bridge. After going under the bridge stay on that same side of the lake and you can run it to where you see the cut through to the hot water side. When you cross the lake to get to the hot water side I suggest you go slow there are a few stump there too. The hot water side is also stumpy. It's best if you can find someone familiar with the lake and follow them. Been catching some crappie under the railroad bridge and laydowns. As for bass, fish structure and grass when you can find it. The hydrilla is trying to make a comeback and you should be able to find some. I haven't fished the hot side since last winter but the bridge on that side us usually good for crappie too and with the temps coming down the crappie may be ready to play. There are no boat lanes in this lake so if you're in doubt then back off the throttle. If you can't find any fish shoot me a message. Good luck and good fishin.
Oh yea, they sell a lake map in the park office. It's a little pricey but it's the only map I know of and it's pretty accurate.

Good advice! cheers

Not much has changed since I lived there. texas flag

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Martin Creek help [Re: photofishin] #13318923 10/22/19 01:21 PM
P
photofishin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
Thanks to those who offered advice. Very pretty little lake. Overall it was a fun weekend camping with the family. The only negative is that the state park is directly across from the power plant so sleeping isn't really the best with the hum of the plant and numerous trains coming in and out all night long. I only managed a couple of hours fishing, the rest of the time was spent with family by the fire relaxing. I DID get to stream the Astros game and the highlight after my wife and daughter went to bed was watching Altuve blast a homerun sending Houston to the world series!
Here's a couple of photos of the weekend. Both bass were caught on buzzbaits early around the pads. Tried a little crappie fishing to no avail but only fished about an hour on Saturday morning and an hour and a half on Sunday morning.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: photofishin] #13324181 10/27/19 07:49 PM
C
Cass Caldwell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Nice pics. I love that little lake.