texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: T Bird] #13321308 10/24/19 06:19 PM
BAllen91 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by T Bird
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
I'd like to deduct gasoline taxes, .... woot

You can on your boat and other off road equipment.
https://gov.texas.gov/film/page/laws_fuel_tax

I have a question about this. On their website it says "If the refund or credit is claimed on fuel purchased at retail, the purchase invoice must note the identification of each vehicle or type of off-highway equipment in which the gasoline was delivered to". To me that sounds like the typical receipt that comes out of the pump won't suffice, how do you get that receipt or can you hand write what it's for on the receipt?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: Rayzor] #13321327 10/24/19 06:31 PM
M
Monty Wright Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted by Rayzor
I want a flat tax. I am tired of paying while some others don't. This includes school taxes. Like so many people, I don't have any kids in school anymore. Why should I have to support them? The only thing I get now from all of these schools is traffic lines. I am also tired of paying ever increasing property taxes. The taxes on my house and yard tripled this last year. Who's to say it won't triple again next year?

I'm assuming you're in Montgomery County as I am. Our lot value tripled in value. We are a new build so I can't say on the house value, but our 10k foot lot tripled in value in Walden

[Linked Image]

Half Past First Cast
^^^Worth a look^^^
Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: RedRanger] #13321775 10/25/19 01:33 AM
J
jcwebb70 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by jcwebb70
Originally Posted by Rayzor
I want a flat tax. I am tired of paying while some others don't. This includes school taxes. Like so many people, I don't have any kids in school anymore. Why should I have to support them? The only thing I get now from all of these schools is traffic lines. I am also tired of paying ever increasing property taxes. The taxes on my house and yard tripled this last year. Who's to say it won't triple again next year?

But it was okay for everyone to pay school taxes while your kids were in school?

Yes, If you have kids in school you should pay school taxes, if you are not using the school then you shouldn't have to pay or at least pay a reduced amount, I don't have any kids in schools and pay about 7K per year to pay for baby sitting service via public school tax.

Okay I get it, nobody wants to pay taxes. One group shouldn't foot the bill for others...but how do you pay for services? If you drop one, you have to increase another to cover expenses to offer services. Don't want to pay gas taxes? Fine, don't gripe about roads. Don't want to pay city taxes? I get it, but don't complain about roads, sewer, water, trash, police, or fire services. Don't want to pay school taxes? No worries, move to a state that has lower property taxes...but guess what, they'll have an income tax, sales tax, auto tax, etc...

Ever spent a few days at public schools? From your comment it sounds as though you haven't.
Who do you think paid for public schools when you had kids attending? Parents only? Doubtful, taxpayers that didn't have kids in school deferred the cost to you the parent b/c everyone contributed. Most likely there were parents, as there are now, paying school taxes and daycare. Do you have grandkids in school? How much do you think it would cost your kids if only parents paid? If only parents paid,that would be called tuition. Federal law requires every state to provide a free public education. How would you propose that is paid for?

Consider this when paying local taxes...a large portion of local taxes stay local, which means you have a greater voice in how it is spent. When you send tax money to the state capital or DC, nobody cares what you think. Further away you send your money the less control you have, and the more hands take a share.

Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13321800 10/25/19 01:56 AM
J
jcwebb70 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Originally Posted by BMCD
I agree apartment owners pay property tax and charge to renter's. So that is a myth. I am trying to think who does not contribute to property tax in Texas in some way, direct or indirect. Can't think of any off hand. Kids living at home is still living in a home that pays property taxes.

Someone complained about 16k in property tax, well that is your choice, i'm sure you could reduce that fairly easily.

But we should not allow income tax, without big property tax reductions.

Lots of people don't contribute to property taxes. Your definition of indirect payments is way more liberal than mine. Either way, we do agree that an income tax is not the answer. One thing we have learned around here though is that the property tax rate really doesn't matter. If the city and schools don't get the tax rates they want, they just raise the property values to whatever they want. So they end up getting a blank check no matter what. I was able to fight my value one time and win. The last two times they raised it I lost the appeal.

Did your tax rates go up or your value? My taxes went up, but tax rates went down due to increased values...so I sold and made $175K

banana
Do you realize that neither the school nor the city have anything to do with property values? Are you aware that school districts are capped by the state as to how much their tax rate can be? Did you know that as the values of local property taxes goes up, and the school district generates additional revenue, the state reduces penny for penny that same amount of state funding provided?

Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: Texan Til I Die] #13321806 10/25/19 02:00 AM
J
jcwebb70 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by BMCD
I agree apartment owners pay property tax and charge to renter's. So that is a myth. I am trying to think who does not contribute to property tax in Texas in some way, direct or indirect. Can't think of any off hand. Kids living at home is still living in a home that pays property taxes.
About the only scenario I can think of would be someone living in an RV who just moved from one government controlled campground to another. Like from one COE park at lake X to another COE park at lake Y.

Bingo!!! This is how you avoid state income tax and property taxes. Full time RV and visit the BASS top 100 staying at state or national parks.

Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: NELA Bassguy] #13321809 10/25/19 02:05 AM
J
jcwebb70 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by NELA Bassguy
I'm against most tax in general, but one benefit of an income tax vs property tax is that when you are unemployed you don't pay income taxes because you don't have an income. Guess what you still have to pay the same property taxes. Also, do you ever really own your property if you have to pay the government to keep it? Just my .02

This is probably the best argument against property taxes. If you pay off your house and don't pay your taxes you lose your house. With taxes, its pick your poison. For me personally, I need the tax deduction of paying taxes, when I retire, I won't need that deduction, so will look to Full time RV for a while, then buy a place in a low property tax state since my income tax liability will be lower.

Expenditures are X
Revenues have to = X
Therefore it will = X somehow, so the shell game begins.

Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: jcwebb70] #13321820 10/25/19 02:22 AM
C
Crappie Husband Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by jcwebb70

Consider this when paying local taxes...a large portion of local taxes stay local, which means you have a greater voice in how it is spent. When you send tax money to the state capital or DC, nobody cares what you think. Further away you send your money the less control you have, and the more hands take a share.

Yep.

-Kyle Campbell-
Blue Wave 2000 Pure Bay
Predator PDL
Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: Razorback] #13322170 10/25/19 03:43 PM
P
pchapin Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by Razorback
The fairest tax is a sales tax.

I would suggest a study of economics. The most regressive tax is sales tax.
No tax is fair but taxing wealth comes closer than any other tax.
There are countries with no tax but I bet not one person in Texas has ever moved to one of the no tax countries.

“No reasonable person would conclude that the statements were truly statements of fact”
P01135809
Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: Brent S] #13322207 10/25/19 04:12 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by Brent S
Originally Posted by pchapin
Originally Posted by Brent S
It just seems like there are a lot of people who rent or live in apartments that don't pay a property tax. I would rather see low property tax and an income tax instead.

That is a myth. Renters pay property taxes. It is included in the rent you charge. Line 16 Schedule E "Taxes" is one of the expenses you pay with the money you collect from renters.

That's right. What about apartment renters?

Yes Apartment renters and house renters pay property tax. The owners of the property get taxed on the property and they in turn add that into the monthly rent that they charge the tenants. Basically they have a middle man between them and the tax collector. Difference is that a homeowner gets to deduct their property taxes on their Federal income tax and apartment renters or house renters for that matter do not get to.

Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: ezbassin] #13322440 10/25/19 08:42 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Flat tax = the same as Gods law of the tithe from the Bible. Everyone pays the same percentage and then the church lives within its means. Make $10 pay $1, make $100,000 pay $10,000 it is just and fair. Problem is there is half of the country who pay little to no income tax that would then be taxed. The non tax paying people will never vote to pay taxes and govt. will never live within its means though that is what is fair and just. Because of those facts we should vote down any proposed new tax every time. Do not talk yourself into thinking that if we had a State income tax that property taxes would be lowered. Have you ever seen the government give the people back their money? It just won't happen. My wife and I started nearly 30 years ago in the Army literally with nothing and have worked and scratched and scraped until we do Ok her a nurse and me a shop supervisor. We get absolutely drilled in taxes (punished) because we choose to be successful. NO NEW TAXES of any kind I say!!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: pchapin] #13322448 10/25/19 08:55 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M

There are countries with no tax but I bet not one person in Texas has ever moved to one of the no tax countries.

Not sure how taxing rich folks is the fairest approach? A graduated tax up to a living wage and then flat tax seems the most fair to me.

It's not fair that wealthy folks pay 46% of their "weath" to the federal government.

Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: Mike@972] #13322606 10/25/19 11:33 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by Mike@972

Not sure how taxing rich folks is the fairest approach? A graduated tax up to a living wage and then flat tax seems the most fair to me.

It's not fair that wealthy folks pay 46% of their "weath" to the federal government.

I'm a flat taxer, and a true one at that. I won't vote to increase, and I won't vote to exclude taxes from a class. Everyone should have the same percentage skin in the game!

How about this one, if you reach 50 and haven't had kids, all the school property taxes are returned to you! clap

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: David Burton] #13322701 10/26/19 01:42 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by David Burton
Originally Posted by Mike@972

It's not fair that wealthy folks pay 46% of their "wealth" to the federal government.

I'm a flat taxer, and a true one at that. I won't vote to increase, and I won't vote to exclude taxes from a class. Everyone should have the same percentage skin in the game!

How about this one, if you reach 50 and haven't had kids, all the school property taxes are returned to you! clap

I'm with you. However, I see the value in subsidizing poverty level income via taxes instead of a handout. Folks in poverty will get subsidized one way or another. If they are subsidized via lower tax, then mid and higher-end folks get the same benefit. For example, I would be in favor if the low-end tax is 5% for everyone (say up to $40K), then the mid-range tax is 10% for everyone (up to $100K), then 15% for everyone.

The key is everyone. No deductions and no self-employment tax... everyone pays the same. As pointed out by others, the problem is that much of the country pays no taxes at all. Also, folks with kids get a deduction that others do not. Standardized deductions account for 50% of some folk's income and 5% of other folk's income. Folks who are self-employed pay 7% more than those who have traditional employment. None of these caveats are fair.

Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: ezbassin] #13322814 10/26/19 03:38 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Flat tax is fairest. Fair tax is also fair and actually would benefit everyone and make more in revenue, but neither will ever get passed.

[Linked Image]
Re: Less money for fishing tackle and expenses [Re: Tiltman] #13326653 10/29/19 10:15 PM
E
ezbassin Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Tiltman
If they'd roll property taxes back to reality I would at least listen to a pitch for a state income tax.

That's not going to happen.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide