Print Thread
Best months to go coastal fishing? #13321996 10/25/19 12:48 PM
T
TexasRN55 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
What are the best months to go fishing? Mainly from a migratory or movement based approach. I have always heard October is good for Reds in the surf. Any bad months you would recommend staying home? Will be wade and surf fishing. Targeting trouts and reds, maybe sharks on day. Any spawn times, or specific movement times?

Last edited by TexasRN55; 10/25/19 01:27 PM.
Re: Best months to go coastal fishing? [Re: TexasRN55] #13322127 10/25/19 02:56 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
All of them are good but if you're strictly talking fishing the beach front.. I'd avoid Dec, Jan, and Feb. That said you can catch pompano. Best months are late May - November

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Best months to go coastal fishing? [Re: TroutSupport.com] #13322136 10/25/19 03:03 PM
T
TexasRN55 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
All around coast, that can be reached by foot. Plan on doing both bay wading and surf. As the weather starts to warm do the fish move to the flats from deeper waters? Do they tend to go deeper during cold months? Any advice on fishing around fronts, both cold and warm? Does the pressure change effect saltwater fish?

Re: Best months to go coastal fishing? [Re: TexasRN55] #13322912 10/26/19 10:47 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
We fish year round and it’s all good. Probably the most consistent time is May thru October. In December thru March we are targeting big trout wading. The bites are definitely less frequent then but you can catch some hogs.

I don’t fish any beach front so can’t help you there. If you want big Reds or Big Uglies then I would say Sept and March would be when I know where and how to catch those.

We fish a lot of different areas from Port Mansfield TX to Venice LA. Some areas just have a higher concentration of fish than others and it changes somewhat year to year. We know enough guys who fish that one will be “it’s on at Sabine” while another might say it tough in the LLM. Intel is always good. Some places we have trips planned a year ahead. We always go to Venice the week after Labor Day. Every year we have caught them there. Some years are much easier than others and you have to know where to go in Venice. It’s huge. Knowing where to fish can be a daunting task.

Major factors are; wind, water salinity, tides, bait, water clarity. Fish tend to do similar things every year with water quality being the main wild card. A area you typically catch them in every June might be too fresh year and you can’t get a bite.

We have caught them in a foot of water or less in a July and December. Also caught them deeper in both those months. Just depends on how the weather sets up.

Next planned trip is Dec 8 and 9 with Colton Blackwell out of Corpus. Plan is for big trout. Throw the Corky in a warming trend after a front anywhere we see a mullet or two. If those conditions are not what we like them to be we will adjust.Coltons fishing 250+ days per year so he pretty up on what the fish are doing. Goal is to catch a over 30” trout. We could be happy with one bite a day if it’s the right bite.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 10/26/19 10:55 AM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Best months to go coastal fishing? [Re: TexasRN55] #13328521 10/31/19 02:47 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
hmmmm, all that sorta sounds familiar. ;-)

Yeah, RN55, there is a lot to learn but once you learn the essentials you'll find that it's all easily patternable and will even know when to avoid sabine or how the winds in Port Mansfeild help you catch fish. Reds stay on the flats most times of the year. our winter fish don't really go deep persay, and it's not so much the weather but the other factors. There are winter months when reds are on the flats, and spring months when the reds are with the trout until about mid summer. Then depending on the forage available you will see reds on the flats again in July - November ish but back again in Jan in some key marshes. The barometer does effect the fish... just a little though.

email me and I'll help you
tobin@troutsupport.com

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Best months to go coastal fishing? [Re: TexasRN55] #13329566 11/01/19 03:17 PM
S
Stanley Orchard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
My best months are April-May, and then August-November. That having been said I fish the beaches, and have very limited experience in the bays. My plan is to get better at that this year... so on that note I would like to thank you guys for the info.

Stanley Orchard
Texas Family Fishing Vlog-eneur!
YouTube.com/stanleyorchard
Insta/Twitter: @OrchardStanley
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide