Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,820
Posts13,935,093
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears #13294900 09/27/19 03:22 PM
Aubry Buzek Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
News Release
Media Contact: TPWD Press Office, (512) 389-8030, news@tpwd.texas.gov
Sept. 27, 2019

TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears

AUSTIN – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is seeking public comment on proposed changes to the regulations on passive fishing gear (juglines, minnow traps, perch traps, throwlines, and trotlines), which includes adding requirements and specifications for floats and reducing the valid period for gear tags to reduce the negative impacts of abandoned passive fishing gear in Texas public waters.

“Abandoned passive fishing gear is not easily identified and can harm fish and wildlife resources and present a nuisance and safety hazard to recreational users of public water bodies,” said Jarret Barker, TPWD Assistant Commander for Marine Enforcement. “These proposed changes would aid in identifying and monitoring lawful passive fishing gear and help facilitate the removal of abandoned gear.”

The proposed changes would require that passive fishing gear have properly marked gear tags and floats attached to aid in distinguishing active fishing gear from abandoned fishing gear and litter. These changes include adding a customer number from a valid fishing license on the gear tag and marking all passive fishing gear with floats that are at least 6 inches in length and not less than 3 inches in width. Floats for recreational anglers can be any color other than orange. Commercial fishing license holders will be required to use orange-colored floats.

The changes would also reduce the period of validity for a gear tag from 10 days to four days to shorten the fishing time between angler inspections of their gear. Scientific investigations conducted by the department show that fish mortalities as a result of “ghost fishing” (the continuing of effect of unattended passive gears) can increase after four days. Such devices can continue to fish and represent a danger to fish and other aquatic organisms when they are abandoned. Requiring the gear tag and the accompanying gear to be checked more frequently than 10 days should reduce those unintended mortalities.

Additionally, the removal of abandoned fishing gear will have the additional benefit of reducing threats to human health and safety.

The proposed regulation changes will be available for review in the September 27 edition of the Texas Register. The public comment period is open through Nov. 7, when the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission will meet to vote on adopting these changes.

Comments on the proposed changes may be submitted to Jarret Barker by phone (512) 389-4853 or email jarret.barker@tpwd.texas.gov. Comments also may be submitted via the department’s website at https://www.tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/public_comment/ or in person during the TPW Commission meeting Nov. 7 at 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744.

Aubry Buzek, TPWD Press Office
https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13295021 09/27/19 05:30 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Comments sent. Thanks.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13298049 10/01/19 01:34 AM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Comments sent as well. Thanks

FishKen
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13299304 10/02/19 11:30 AM
Boomerbrewer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I sent comments to Jarret and got a reply in an hour. They are listening.

2013 Glasstream 221 Center Console 150 Merc.
Helix 10, Helix 9 mega SI x2, Garmin 9sv + livescope
Terrova Ipilot Link 36v 105ah Lithium, 12v 160a Lithium Aux
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13317005 10/20/19 03:14 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Personally I think 4 days is too short a time, 7 days is ok. I often spend a week running lines and a 4 day margin would force me to remark my jugs. This will also cause the Game wardens to spend more time fugging with my gear. If the airheads really want to do something for fish populations something needs to be done about the Cormorant populations!

Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13317176 10/20/19 07:52 PM
T
Texas Grown Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I left comments about the 4 day limit. I think it's to short for trot-liners. Just going to cause weekenders to leave more lines in the water instead of retrieval, especially if the wind kicks up that makes recovery to dangerous. Then they will be in violation. 10 days allows someone the following weekend to retrieve the set. Some trot-line sets take a good while just to deploy. And leaves less fishing time with a 4 day limit. I've always removed my hooks and stagings when not in use. And keep my tags current weather I'm fishing it or not. I also disagree with the required floats for trot-liners. Some sets are better left without to keep unwanted folks from checking your lines for you. But there are other sets in some places that require floats as a means of accessing the line. Just don't need a beacon saying "come steal my fish".

G3 river Jon - "The Wild Thing"

"The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!"
Re: TPWD Taking Public Comment on Proposed Regulation Changes for Trotlines and Other Related Gears [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13320683 10/24/19 02:42 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I hope to post my essay by Saturday PM (26th). Car broke down Monday, so I am trying to catch up due to that.

Yes, I agree, my biggest complaint is the 4 day bit on trotlines. As well as marking them further for others to steal, steal from, or cut.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide