Print Thread
Lowrance LCX 27c help #13317132 10/20/19 06:48 PM
L
Laryee55 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
I recently purchased a boat that had LCX 27c and LCX 28c one on bow and the other at console. The 27 (@ bow) powers up to home screen but after about a minute will shut it self off. I tried it on the other transducer and power cable at the console location and get the same results. Is there a factory reset or something to try? If anyone has had same issue and fixed please let me know.
Thank you in advance......

Re: Lowrance LCX 27c help [Re: Laryee55] #13319273 10/22/19 06:09 PM
Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
The 27c is a very old unit, however the blue connector transducer & power is the same that could fit a HDS Gen-3, Carbon or Live unit. If you could find someone selling a head unit of one of these, you could plug and play.
If you decided to install structure scan, then there is a Yellow Wire to go to 12-volts so power cord would have to be changed.

Rob Jasper
Re: Lowrance LCX 27c help [Re: Laryee55] #13319699 10/23/19 02:36 AM
W
wallyandre Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I did find this in some of my old notes:
My hard drive was failing. What were the symptons and how do you know if yours is? For starters, the LCX series 26, 28, 38, etc all use a PATA or IDE hard drive. This is just basically old laptop technology. Yes you have a spinning hard disk laptop drive in your graph. Most of them are Toshibas. This was a terrible idea to start with because just how long could one last with that spinning disk in a rough, jarring, shock riddled environment. One wrong wave or shocking impact could scratch that disk and then you would be in my camp.
My unit would power up and while it would, you could listen close and hear the hard disk spinning and skipping. It would eventually come on and act normally. If you hit a decent wave running down the lake, the unit would lock up, power itself off, then back on and get stuck on that LCX blue screen. Periodically, it would give some other crazy symptoms. One time, the map information was all screwed up, and several other things.
Well I suspected the hard drive so I opened up the unit. The hard drive is in the back of the case on a 26 under that big cooling fin on the back of the unit. It is held in there by four screws and has a simple IDE plug. I removed the drive, put it into a hard drive enclosure that you can purchase at any electronics store (make sure to get one for a PATA drive) and then plugged it into my laptop.
Once you do this, you will be able to see that drive in my computer or your explorer. I used windows diagnostics to check the drive. After some time, the windows test told me that I had a bad sector which I already suspected. So now it is just a matter of replacing this baby.
If you research PATA hard drives, you will not find many. Most new laptop drives are SATA or serial ATA drives. These will not work with your LCX. The way to go is to purchase a solid state drive. These things are durable and shock does not matter.
Solid state??? Those are expensive....right! Not really. The unit uses the hard drive to store mapping information only. There simply isn't much data on there. These are not laptops. There are not any operation software files (windows, other programs, etc) on there. So in a nutshell you can buy a really small SSD like a 16GB or a 32 GB drive for any of them. A SLC solid state drive can be expensive no matter what the size but you don't need that. A MLC SSD will work fine. You would not gain anything by going to a SLC because you are not going to write much to this disk ever. The unit is simply going to read from the disk. MLC SSD drives do not cost any more than a standard PATA spinning hard disk that will fail sooner than later in this enviroment. Expect to pay $100 or less. I used a Runcore only because they have pretty good controllers.
Once you have the new hard drive in hand, we need to clone that baby.
For this step you will need two hard disk enclosures and you laptop or computer has to have 4 usb 2.0 or greater ports. Each hard disk enclosure takes two USB ports to operate. Most laptops have enough ports to handle this.
Put the new formated, partitioned drive in one enclosure and the failing drive in the other. Plug them both into your laptop and open Easeus. Select the drive you want to copy and the destination where you want to send that information and let the program handle it from there. It takes just a couple of minutes.
Next simply reinstall the new hard drive into your LCX, tighten everything down and turn it on to test. And then......you have repaired your LCX in spite of what Lowrance tells you.
OK. Now lets say that your hard drive is so corrupt that you can not copy it.....well then you have a couple of options. You can make a clone of a working drive from another unit or send the drive to someone with a working drive and have the clone it for you. I am not in the graph repair business so don't get too many ideas.
you can get these SSD hard drive from a lot of different places. Most recently, mine came from MFactors.com. The important thing is that you get a SSD, 2.5", PATA. I don't think brand really matters much for this application. I bought a runcore but there are a lot of companies out there that sell these. From what I know about SSD's, the controller is a big factor and for PATA drives, runcore had a good controller but I am certain that many others do as well.
Another very interesting thing to me is the information that is on those hard drives. On the one that I most recently repaired, I did not put the LCX 26 maps back in there. Instead, I cloned my 28 hard drive which has a much better map and put that into the 26. I was worried that it would not work but it did. The unit takes a little longer after powering on to generate the map but once it does, it is lightning fast. Now my old 26 has the same map as my 28.
I would almost guess that there are many options for map files to put onto a new drive but I have not experimented much with that yet. These units don't have an exterior interface that we can readily use so to make any change, you have to take the hard drive apart, pull the drive, etc. That is not a big deal when you have the unit open but now it is. I am sure that lowrance has something they use as an interface to program these units. they need to have a USB or something in there just for that purpose.
My next project will be on an HDS unit. I hope my someones hard drive fails and I get to operate on one of those. HDS units are terribly slow as everyone knows. Some of this is due to the processor on the board and I am sure that some of it is due to the drive in those units. SSD drives are lightning fast. Putting a good SSD into an HDS could be just the answer to the speed issues with those units.
I just hope that when I do open up one of those units, it has a SATA drive in it. SATA parts, drives, etc have greater availability and many more options. Eventually PATA drives will disappear and SATA will be all that is out there.

Re: Lowrance LCX 27c help [Re: Laryee55] #13320381 10/23/19 09:05 PM
L
Laryee55 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Thank you very much for the info Rob and Wally sounds like damaged was probably due to rough water this unit was on the bow. The 28 at the console if moved up front or reboot 27 would probably see same result. Looks like an upgrade is in order.Was hoping for a easy fix.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Re: Lowrance LCX 27c help [Re: Laryee55] #13321128 10/24/19 03:30 PM
Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
The 28c is a bigger, heavier unit than the 27c. If you do move the 28c up front, be sure and get a big enough Ram mount or whatever you are using to hold it in place.

Rob Jasper
Re: Lowrance LCX 27c help [Re: Laryee55] #13323076 10/26/19 03:12 PM
D
Dr. Drop Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Sent PM

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide