Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13274965 09/09/19 05:52 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Got to got kayak fishing for a short bit tonight out of Lavonia South.
Was able to catch small shad easily. A couple 4-5 inche shad and no large shad or perch with the castnet.
Headed to the dam for some catfishing.
I did not see many fish along the dam tonight. Got to one of my favorite spots and decided to fish there.
Cats did not like the small shad tonight. Liked the 4-5 inch shad a lot. Since I had mainly small shad, I put 3 on a hook with bellies sliced open and that worked much better.
Tried worm but not a lot of interest in it tonight.
I had several bites but only managed to get one 16" cat to the boat tonight.
I would have good bites and would fight them for a bit then they would get off. Happened with both my spining and fly rods.
I did see a lot of gar around tonight so maybe that was part of what was happening.
I had my headlight on so I could see the slip floats and the gar would come almost right up to the boat.
Did manage to catch my fist gar on my fly rod tonight a 23" longnose gar.
Funny, up until the last couple weeks have never caught a gar and now I even have one on my fly rod.
I am not targeting them, just happen to be where I am and like my bait.
I did not see a single boat at the ramp or on the lake tonight.
A little wind and a bright moon. Made for a really nice night out on the water.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13279536 09/13/19 12:58 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went catfishing last night out of Lavonia South in my kayak.
Pretty easy to find shad and found4-5 inch ones easily. No larger ones but a couple of small perch found their way into my net also.
Headed out to the dam and got there just before sunset.
Although windy earlier int the day, the wind dropped off by evening.
Catfish really liked the 4-5 inch shad with their belly slit also 2-3 2" shad with belly slit worked well also
Mainly fished with shad on my fly rod. Hard to find the time to get the other pole baited up and watch it before have a bite.
Caught over a dozen cats taking 4 home in the 17-20 inch range.
Caught one 28" gar on the fly rod.
Had the perch out behind the kayak and caught one 20" cat on the first one, nothing took the little larger second one.
A really good night and a lot of fun to catch the cats on the fly rod.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13280495 09/14/19 08:17 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Kayak fished the dam from Lavonia South again tonight.
Good variety of shad with cast net and a couple of small perch in the mix also.
Had my first cat on the fly rod about 5 seconds after bait hit the water.
Caught 11 with 2 over 20 inches tonight, mostly on the fly rod.
I had my catfish pole out the back of the kayak with a small perch under a float and caught 2 on it.
1st one started rotating the kayak around the anchor.
After getting the cat off and rebaiting, threw out and got a birds nest in my baitcaster.
I forgot my headlamp tonight so I had the moon, fishfinder and my yak attack visipro light.
Thank goodness for a bright moon tonight.
Not enough light to even begin to tell how to get everything untangled or to even undo the birds nest so just put rod in back holder and left bait in the water.
A while later my kayak is being jerked around and I hear a big commotion behind me. Look back and have another catfish on the catfish rod.
Cats really liked the 4-5 inch shad, cut shad or 2-3 small shad. When using whole shad, would make a couple cuts in the belly with the hook.
Really different fishing when can not see my floats or which direction the line is going off the end of the pole.
Frequently cats would take bait and come towards boat so I would not know anything till cat is on other side of the kayak and my poll is going crazy.
This coupled with the wind moving the floats around made trying to detect a bite early pretty difficult.
Good thing is none of the cats came close to swallowing a hook tonight.
Another really fun night on the lake under a moonlit sky with lake all to myself.
Will have to keep with this plan until the cats decide to do something else.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13294659 09/27/19 12:29 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Kayak fished the dam from Lavonia South last night.
Easily got the shad I needed with my cast net. Most over 4 inches with a small perch thrown in.
Started off a little slow and ended the night a little slow but did pretty wel overalll.
Caught one cat on the perch over 20inches.
Managed to catch 10 total with 4 going over 20 inches on fly rod and lightweight rod.
Saw a lot of gar in the water. Seem to like the area my headlamp lights up.
Tried just letting the wind push me along the dam ~.2 mph at the end but did not get any bites drifting.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13295856 09/28/19 05:22 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Kayak fished out of Lavonia South again last night.
Got a good supply of shad but had to work a little harder for them.
Headed back out to the dam to do some catfishing
Trolled a jointed xrap on way out and caught one small bass on way out.
Managed to catch a few cats pretty quickly with shad on my fly rod then had to work a little harder.
Just like Thursday night, the bite seemed to slow down after 9-9:30.
Worked a lot of spots afterwards to find a couple more fish. There were not may fish I could even locate with my finder.
Tried worm and got no bites on it.
Had one perch out in a little deeper water and got no bites on it.
Switched it out to a large shad and caught a good eating size blue on it.
Ended up catching 7 cats with 3 over 20 inches.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13296486 09/29/19 04:53 PM
D
Double Dee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Way to go Ocelot! Thank you for the report.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13297454 09/30/19 03:56 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went back to Lavonia South for more catfishing at the dam from my kayak last night.
Got there a little after 7:00 and had good success catching shad.
Took off to the dam and and fished a couple of spots before I got a bite.
Bite was very light, just moving the float but not taking it under.
Managed to bring in 2 14" cats both on hook with 2 small shad with a couple of slits in belly.
Did not catch anything on shad 4" or larger even if cut in half.
Also would have times when something stole my bait and I never detected it.
A Couple of times had a really strong tug on line and when nothing still messing with it after a bit bring in and the line is cut, guessing these were gar.
Tried a few spots and different depths but could not get bites despite seeing a good amount of fish passing through.
Tried trolling jointed xrap to/from dam but no bites on it either.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13302820 10/06/19 03:37 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went kayak fishing today from Lavonia South
Had to work a little to catch my shad only 1 or 2 a throw but they were 4-7 inches apiece.
Decided to check out some of my waypoints on way to dam with a slab on bottom and 3 jigs with 9 inch spacing.
Saw a few places with fish but need to do a lot of work on getting back to and relocating spots. Caught one nice bass on way to dam.
Fished a couple of places on the dam this afternoon.
Caught one on worm and 5 on cut shad.
Seemed to like a couple of 2 inch shad on hook with bellies sliced open but I did not have many.
Cut up the other shad into small strips.
Was slow but managed to catch 6 cats 15-19 inches.
Caught one on a 7 inch shad out behind the kayak. Something must have been nibbling on it for a while as the cat was not big enough to have put the whole shad in its mouth.
Cats had a pretty light bite again today. Really had to watch my floats as would rarely see anything happen on the rod.
Several something would take float under for just a bit then come back up. Early tried setting hook when saw go under but nothing there. Later waited hope they would take the bait. usually just ate the bait without taking the hook.
Overall a little slow but a really nice day out on the water with light winds and pleasant temps.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13306991 10/10/19 02:32 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went kayak fishing from Lavonia South last night.
Had some trouble locating shad but once I found them had a good variety of sizes and plenty for the evening
Headed to the dam to do some catfishing.
Did not see many fish on way to dam or along the dam. Went to a few locations before I saw any fish.
Bite was very light. Mabe just cause the float to rock or go under quickly once and bait was gone.
If they took the hook, just stayed where they were.
Most of the time just stealing bait.
Tried different size shad, differrent parts of shad, different depths and stubby's
Going to a few locations managed to bring in 3 cats and 1 bass.
The people I spoke with on the lake and at the ramp indicated they were having a tough time also.
With cooler temps, being wet from paddling, and a little wind I can see needing to start dressing for fall now.
The wind died down a little after sunset, stars were showing under a clear sky and there was a bright big moon in the sky.
Great night to be on the water.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13316782 10/20/19 03:55 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went kayak fishing from Lavonia South this afternoon.
Tough time finding shad. 2-3 throws for 1 large shad.
Got lucky one throw and ended up with about 40 small shad. One poll off the back with large shad under a float in deeper water
Finally got enough bait to head out to the dam for some catfishing,
Started off with worms on one poll and small shad with belly sliced on another.
Something kept stealling bait. Bobber would go under for a moment then nothing.
Tried setting hook when happend after a couple times but nothing there.
When decided to change places started reeling in one rod and there was a bass on it. No sign of anything on the float before hand.
Wound up with a 15" LMB
Tried several places looking for some bites but only got 2 bites working down the dam.
1st one was able to fight for a bit then nothing. When brought line in, looked like mabey it was a gar that cut through the line.
2nd bite was a 16' catfish.
Getting time to come home so changed strategy after tring big and small shad pieces. They were not biting anything.
Cut big shad into parts and put the head on the big poll.
Decided to let wind blow me down the face of the dam, perfect speed .4 -.6 mph.
Kept rethrowing large poll out deep ahead of the kayak.
Left fly rod line out behind the kayak as I drifted with cut up shad piece under a float.
Another poll would throw far ahead close to the dam.
When would catch up to baits ahead of me would repeat.
One bite on the shad head set off the clicker for a couple of seconds. Stopped when I picked rod up and did not start again.
Nothing on other poll throwing ahead of the boat but did loose the bait to something a couple of times.
Managed to get 2 more cats on the one poll trailing behind the kayak. Also 1 good bite that got off before I brought it up to the boat.
Being out on the water on such a beautiful day made it all worthwhile with a couple of fish as a bonus.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13322817 10/26/19 03:41 AM
slotlimit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Ocelot keep the updates coming. I have never fished Lavon but plan to.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13330862 11/03/19 05:43 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went kayak fishing out of Lavonia South this afternoon/evening.
Had a really tough time catching any shad. Wore myself out for a few small shad and one large one.
Fortunately I bought some small frozen ones for insurance on the way.
Decided to troll on way to dam. One rod out with small umbrella rig and one with 4" sassy shad trailing a small road runner. No bites.
Did not see many fish on way to dam or while going along the dam.
At my fist spot put the large shad on my catfish pole and threw out under a float.
While getting other poles ready to catfish with looked around for float and could not find it. Saw line going into water and set the hook
Hooked a 14" LMB on 7 to 8 inch shad.
Fished several locations with shad on one pole and stubbys on another along the dam.
One place I caught 2 nice eating size cats. First on shad then after putting on stringer and before I could get rebaited, had another on the stubbys.
These were the only bites I had on these baits today.
Nothing else took the large shad so I cut in half and did not get any bites on the head or tail section.
Coming back to the dock swapped out the sassy shad with a jointed xrap trailing a small rooster tail on one pole.
Still had small umbrella rig on another.
No bites on way back in but did see several fish in 25 fow.
Wind died down as it got later and was a very nice day.
Saw several groups of ducks on the lake today.
Great to be back on the water again.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: Ocelot] #13336996 11/09/19 08:43 PM
H
Headogears Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Thank you for the report, hoping to get out on Lavon tomorrow.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13343828 11/16/19 02:43 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Fished Lavonia South last night from my kayak.
Could not get a single shad while throwing my cast net.
Headed out towards the dam with a small umbrella rig on one pole and jointed xrap on another.
Saw several fish but no bites.
Worked along face of dam in 25fow looking for schools of fish. Would lower frozen shad and stubbys down when saw some but no bites.
Started slowly working way back in shallower water hitting my best spots along the way.
Saw a few fish but only got one bit on the shad but got off pretty quickly.
Decided I was started to get a little cool and pretty late so put the jointed xrap on and slow trolled back in 7-9 feet of water.
Not a single bite.
Good news was starting out the weather was warmer than it has been lately and there was hardly any wind whole time.
Very pretty sunset and with the glassy smooth water very pretty lights on the water after dark.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13344472 11/17/19 03:31 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Fished Lavonia south again this afternoon from my kayak.
Bought some minnows and worms on way to the lake.
Setup to try to catch some of those fish I am seeing in20-30fow 15-25 feet down.
One pole had a mudder minnow, 1/16 rooster tail and 1/32 jig head with small minnow body.
One pole had a crappie jig with live minnows,
One pole had a deep diving tail dancer trailing a 1/16 oz rooster tail.
Trolled in 25-20fow on way to dam. Several spots with fish that were not over any structure.
Threw out marker buoy and would slowly paddle around the areas.
Did same thing working along the dam. Only managed one bite and brought in a white bass.
Decided to try my favorite spots on way back for some catfish. Tried shad, worms, jigs and minnows.
Did not get a single bite even at a spot I had chummed up last night. Did see occaissional fish in 10-12fow not much else.
It got late and I was a little tired from all the paddling so trolled on the way back in the deeper water.
Was constantly over a few fish all the way back but none really schooled up. Not a single bite.
Nice warmer day and wind was not that bad today. Really pretty out today, hope you were able to enjoy it.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide