Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,865
Posts13,935,768
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal #13294222 09/26/19 10:28 PM
Aubry Buzek Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Sept. 26, 2019

TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal

A recent media release by the Preserve Lake Dunlap Association (PLDA) stated that stump removal was underway at Lake Dunlap with full approval and with permission from TPWD. This statement is inaccurate. TPWD staff did not approve or consult on this ongoing stump removal project and was unaware of these stump-removal efforts until obtaining the PLDA media release dated Wednesday, September 25, 2019.

TPWD does not have jurisdictional authority to make such an approval. Sole authority for this type of approval lies with the Guadalupe Blanco River Authority (GBRA). The GBRA notified TPWD on September 26, 2019 that GBRA would be permitting the ongoing stump removal in order to document the removal and quantify damages and loss to structural fish habitats. Furthermore, a verbal commitment was provided by GBRA to replace structural fish habitat losses, authorized or unauthorized, that occur while the lake beds are exposed. TPWD staff prefers that structural habitats be left in place where practical. In some limited cases where stumps must be removed for public safety concerns, we will work with controlling authorities to help mitigate the loss of fish habitat.

Background information on the issue:

TPWD has a successful history of working cooperatively with reservoir controlling authorities throughout the state to preserve and enhance structural fish habitats, which are important in supporting valuable reservoir fisheries. During the drought of 2011, water levels were reduced in lakes throughout the state, resulting in structural habitats being dewatered and exposed, making them susceptible to cutting and removal by local groups. During 2011-2012, TPWD cooperated directly with the Guadalupe Blanco River Authority to assist in their development of a stump-removal policy and permitting process protective of structural fish habitats in the Guadalupe Valley Lakes, including Lake Dunlap.

Upon the failure of the flood gates at lakes Wood and Dunlap, and upon learning of the recent proposal by GBRA to conduct drawdowns of the remaining Guadalupe Valley Lakes, TPWD recommended efforts be taken by GBRA to preserve structural fish habitats exposed in the dry lake beds. Specifically, TPWD supported proactive education and outreach efforts by GBRA to local constituents to discourage and avoid cutting and removal of structural fish habitats from the lake beds, especially tree stumps. TPWD recommended that GBRA stump removal guidelines be a focal point within GBRA’s outreach efforts. TPWD also recommended that if any removal of structural fish habitats occurred, GBRA stump removal guidelines be observed.

Aubry Buzek, TPWD Press Office
https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/
Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13294299 09/27/19 12:00 AM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
We have seen what a wonderful job TPWD did with the use of grass carp to control hydrilla in Lake Austin. No more hydrilla, no more vegetation, no more fish.
Thanks, TPWD, but we are probably better off without your help.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Bob Landry] #13294357 09/27/19 12:43 AM
machinist Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Bob Landry
We have seen what a wonderful job TPWD did with the use of grass carp to control hydrilla in Lake Austin. No more hydrilla, no more vegetation, no more fish.

This is a serious question. Where did all the fish go when the hydrilla was removed? Did they die? Was there a way for them to get out of the lake? The reason I ask is because I see this said a lot and I just don't understand why there are no more fish.

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Bob Landry] #13302103 10/05/19 02:11 AM
786 Offline
Angler
Angler

Texas is renowned for having great bass fishing opportunities. Do you think that it happened by itself?

Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: machinist] #13302135 10/05/19 03:07 AM
786 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by machinist

This is a serious question. Where did all the fish go when the hydrilla was removed? Did they die? Was there a way for them to get out of the lake? The reason I ask is because I see this said a lot and I just don't understand why there are no more fish.

According to TPWD surveys there are bass and other fish in Lake Austin. They are just hard to catch with rod and reel since the submerged vegetation was eradicated. As I understand it, that was an unintended consequence of a committee (TPWD and other groups) decision to aggressively treat for hydrilla. Hydrilla coverage had reached historic proportions and was of concern because excessive growth had previously contributed to holding back water during high flows leading to some flooding of waterfront property and clogging LCRA intake structures.

Grass carp stocking started in earnest in 2004 and as the records show, Lake Austin was a stellar fishery even with the grass carp there. Conventional wisdom was that even if the grass carp ate most of the hydrilla, they would not touch the milfoil because of its unpalatability, so there would still be fish habitat. The grass carp thought otherwise. Left with no choice, they ate what was available. The fishery was drastically changed. TPWD was not happy about that.

Hard as it might be to believe, people don't start working for TPWD with the aim of making fishing worse. I would wager most of them grew up hunting and/or fishing, and are Republicans.

Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13304172 10/07/19 03:22 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
This has been the problem since grass carp were first thought about 40 years ago. People in the supposed know can't figure it out. It's simple the animal kingdom will eat what ever they have too in order to survive. DAH

Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13305784 10/08/19 11:00 PM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The grass carp in Lake Conroe did great! (Sarcasm) And when it was low, some people took it upon themselves to remove more stumps then the SJRA approved, who would have thought that?

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13310104 10/13/19 04:37 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
The year after the grass was removed the fishing on Lake Austin remained good. Even some 35-40lb limits. It has slowly regressed into a barren lake compared to what it was. The grass has been gone since 2012. So each year you lost more big fish due to age, etc and no way to replenish those classes of fish. The carrying capacity was greatly reduced and here we are. It's still a lake with bass, a few big ones, but they are nomadic now with no cover.

Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13311807 10/15/19 12:19 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
There were some monster Blue Cats caught in Conroe years ago before the grass carp were introduced.

Not anymore though. frown

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13314372 10/17/19 01:18 PM
D
doctorb Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
The year after the grass was removed the fishing on Lake Austin remained good. Even some 35-40lb limits. It has slowly regressed into a barren lake compared to what it was. The grass has been gone since 2012. So each year you lost more big fish due to age, etc and no way to replenish those classes of fish. The carrying capacity was greatly reduced and here we are. It's still a lake with bass, a few big ones, but they are nomadic now with no cover.

That pretty much sums it up. I'm pretty sure the carp have effectively spilled into Lady Bird Lake also. I even see them below there in the lower Colorado. They just flat out put way too many in there.

Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13316861 10/20/19 11:44 AM
B
bigfishwilb Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Let's face it. Grass is removed from lake with high population of recreational use. Not fishermen but for wake boarders, jet skiers etc... not two thought are ever considered about how it affects fishing. Multi million dollar homes on lakes ina nd around Austin are affected by the high society types living there with all their toys. Kids running amuck wake board boats etc.....
Terrible but true in my honest opinion.

Coleto Creek killed off all the grass too a few years back and it sucks there too. All recreational lakes seem to be treated the same here in TX. Terrible!

Patrick Wilbricht
San Antonio TX
Ardent Outdoors Prostaff
Owner, PFK Limitless Fishing

Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13316977 10/20/19 02:43 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
TPW works very hard to appease the rich home owners.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: TPWD Issues Statement Regarding Lake Dunlap Stump Removal [Re: Aubry Buzek] #13316999 10/20/19 03:02 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
What negativity towards a Carp! Get ready for an onslaught of hate.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide