Print Thread
Brushpiles easier to find than build #13311192 10/14/19 03:41 PM
M
Mo Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
M
Went out yesterday to place a condo in a spot we have been considering for some time. Someone beat us to it. Nice pile in 20 ft,holding a good number of fish. Went to second spot, one there too. Backed off 100 yards and dropped the condo..
I need to start looking more often.

What do you consider too close on pile spacing ?

Good luck
Mo

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Brushpiles easier to find than build [Re: Mo] #13311232 10/14/19 04:13 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I don't know, but it sure sounds like a good problem to have.

Re: Brushpiles easier to find than build [Re: Mo] #13311340 10/14/19 05:31 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
After dropping about 160 in a certain lake I learned that it was easier on my back to just spend some time doing a little graphing.

As far as spacing, I would drop it in a little deeper or shallower water and bet you would be covered if the fish want to move deeper/shallower.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Brushpiles easier to find than build [Re: Mo] #13311633 10/14/19 10:10 PM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I would say 100 yards as a minimum on spacing. I have added condos and pulled all of the fish off other condos that I put out that were older. It is a lot easier to find them than to build them & put them out. If people would just put them in the right places......lol.

I like prespawn ones for the Spring that are in 8' of water. I have some that can produce a limit of 1&1/2lb Crappie in the Spring in about an hour. It doesn't seem anyone else here tries that and it works well. Everybody wants to fish right on the bank, waiting for them to move in.

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Brushpiles easier to find than build [Re: Mo] #13311793 10/15/19 12:10 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I find brushpiles all the time. It's not that hard if you have a good fishfinder with Side and Down image, and know where to look.
I fish mostly Lake Fork and 90% of my Crappie fishing is done between 18-30 feet. First I look for is water depth, then I look for
visual structure, like trees and or large stumps. Look on the north and south side of the structure, due to the prevailing winds this is
where I find most of the brushpiles. People like to tie up facing the wind, so look about 10-25 feet from the structure on both sides.
I also follow the creeks back into the coves, start looking at 30 feet and zigzag back looking on both sides of the creek. Most brushpiles were built
before spotlock, so having a structure was almost mandatory....enjoy.

fish

Re: Brushpiles easier to find than build [Re: JIM SR.] #13312605 10/15/19 06:49 PM
F
fishinman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
I find brushpiles all the time. It's not that hard if you have a good fishfinder with Side and Down image, and know where to look.
I fish mostly Lake Fork and 90% of my Crappie fishing is done between 18-30 feet. First I look for is water depth, then I look for
visual structure, like trees and or large stumps. Look on the north and south side of the structure, due to the prevailing winds this is
where I find most of the brushpiles. People like to tie up facing the wind, so look about 10-25 feet from the structure on both sides.
I also follow the creeks back into the coves, start looking at 30 feet and zigzag back looking on both sides of the creek. Most brushpiles were built
before spotlock, so having a structure was almost mandatory....enjoy.

Good stuff!

fish

Re: Brushpiles easier to find than build [Re: Mo] #13314747 10/17/19 07:23 PM
SLABXPRESS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
With new technology, it is definitely easier to "find" BPs than make them. But....
Those that are conscientious about maintaining good habitat for crappie should continue to put out BPs every chance we get.
I consider myself pretty savvy with my electronics, including side imaging and LiveScope, but I'll continue to put out brush as long as I'm able.
One other piece of perspective....crappie don't always use cover as much as we all thought they did. LiveScope has shown that they are much more of an open water species that we gave them credit for, especially large ones. My 2cents

Re: Brushpiles easier to find than build [Re: SLABXPRESS] #13315774 10/18/19 08:59 PM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by SLABXPRESS
With new technology, it is definitely easier to "find" BPs than make them. But....
Those that are conscientious about maintaining good habitat for crappie should continue to put out BPs every chance we get.
I consider myself pretty savvy with my electronics, including side imaging and LiveScope, but I'll continue to put out brush as long as I'm able.
One other piece of perspective....crappie don't always use cover as much as we all thought they did. LiveScope has shown that they are much more of an open water species that we gave them credit for, especially large ones. My 2cents

I attest to this. I have a video on Texoma while livescoping for stripers I came across some movement on the bottom of a point. Dropped a small jig and was catching Crappie.

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: Brushpiles easier to find than build [Re: SLABXPRESS] #13315775 10/18/19 09:00 PM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by SLABXPRESS

I attest to this. I have a video on Texoma while livescoping for stripers I came across some movement on the bottom of a point. Dropped a small jig and was catching Crappie.

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide