Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: criglizard] #13308499 10/11/19 03:45 PM
KingOutdoorsCo Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by criglizard
The acquisition of FLW shows that MLF/BPT aint going anywhere. People don't make investments like that without a multiyear plan and a major commitment to make it work. With Kroenke Sports on board, the resources are there to make this work. You guys keep forgetting that they can switch the format in a matter of minutes. It's literally a decision that they vote on and the next tournament or season could be "best 5", "best 7", "smallest 4", etc, whatever.

Since their focus groups aren't "of one", we will all get to see what the market really wants, because this is a huge entity doing the right research to give the market what it wants.

My favorite thing about these topics is the "aww shucks, I'm just a good ol' boy that hates new [censored]. I don't even pay attention to this stuff...I just write about it online....but I dont care..."

Second favorite thing...."Why do I want to watch a bunch of forgotten pros go beat the bank, I can do that!"

Yea except you can't do that at all.

Perfectly summed up.

What is interesting to me about the MLF format is to see the good get better. There are a couple that haven't super consistent (Think Skeet, even KVD at times) but for the most part guys like Evers that have always been at the top are excelling. Same for Hack and even new names like Lee and Wheeler which would have excelled in any time period. Steven Browning is a great fisherman and it's showing. Tak has done well and all this is taking into considerating the Cup events. Point being, I just see these upper echelon guys seem to really shine.

Brant King
King Outdoors
903-975-4909
brant@kingoutdoors.co
wwww.kingoutdoors.co
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: TxBazzn] #13308517 10/11/19 03:59 PM
KingOutdoorsCo Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TxBazzn
You guys act like BPT is everywhere. So I asked my neighbor if he knows anything about it. Nope. Neither had any of the 30 people I work with. IMO, They haven’t done anything but divide the existing fan base.

I’m not saying the content isn’t there but I don’t believe it’s reaching the people folks say it is. I don’t have Outdoor channel with my cable package. I imagine I’m not the only one. I have never seen it played on Discovery channel and I just searched on Demand for It and no sign of it. So out of site out of mind. I don’t plan on increasing my cable cost to watch people fish. Not hating just speaking my truth.

Now let’s here from the same 3 guys telling me why my truth is wrong.

Be curious if those same 30 are interested in fishing or the outdoor industry at all? Kind of like asking the majority of Americans how they feel about the soccer matches this weekend? Those same 30 probably couldn't answer that either.

And I had no trouble at all finding the BPT on Discovery tomorrow morning at 6am. You must be in a blackout region? laugh

Brant King
King Outdoors
903-975-4909
brant@kingoutdoors.co
wwww.kingoutdoors.co
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: KingOutdoorsCo] #13308532 10/11/19 04:06 PM
I
Ian Fellenbaum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Originally Posted by Brant King.
You guys act like BPT is everywhere. So I asked my neighbor if he knows anything about it. Nope. Neither had any of the 30 people I work with. IMO, They haven’t done anything but divide the existing fan base.

I’m not saying the content isn’t there but I don’t believe it’s reaching the people folks say it is. I don’t have Outdoor channel with my cable package. I imagine I’m not the only one. I have never seen it played on Discovery channel and I just searched on Demand for It and no sign of it. So out of site out of mind. I don’t plan on increasing my cable cost to watch people fish. Not hating just speaking my truth.

Be curious if those same 30 are interested in fishing or the outdoor industry at all? Kind of like asking the majority of Americans how they feel about the soccer matches this weekend? Those same 30 probably couldn't answer that either.

And I had no trouble at all finding the BPT on Discovery tomorrow morning at 6am. You must be in a blackout region? laugh

Fishing shows at 6am on a Saturday, like that hasn’t been done for the past 30+ years, I think to capture a new audience it would be more effective to air the show at 3-5pm

STORAGE CONTAINERS TO GO
Sales-Rentals-Rent to Own
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Ian Fellenbaum] #13308543 10/11/19 04:12 PM
KingOutdoorsCo Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ian Fellenbaum
Originally Posted by Brant King.

Fishing shows at 6am on a Saturday, like that hasn’t been done for the past 30+ years, I think to capture a new audience it would be more effective to air the show at 3-5pm

Against NCAA football? Really?

Brant King
King Outdoors
903-975-4909
brant@kingoutdoors.co
wwww.kingoutdoors.co
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: TxBazzn] #13308556 10/11/19 04:19 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

No one here is telling you that your truth is wrong. Everyone has their own truth and I respect that 100%. I am saying that adding the global comment to it that you don't believe it's reaching the people folks say it is, that's the error here. It is reaching the number of people they say it is. I can tell you that because I see the numbers and that's the business I'm in. You don't have to believe me but that's a data truth not my truth.

Again, this really comes down to my comment that if MLF isn't for you, then just find the platform or content that is. There's so much great fishing content to consume and learn from across our sport. Why spend time arguing about something that you don't enjoy or appreciate? I'd really love the know that answer.

The last comment I'm making on this is I'm not attempting to convince anyone here to like something you don't like or convert. I'm simply adding context where needed so that there's better discussion around this topic based on real information. I understand that forums are full of speculation and opinion but it seems logical to me to share and discuss something based on facts rather than the lack thereof.

My two cents. Tight lines gents!! cheers

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13308569 10/11/19 04:25 PM
Bahala Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Who watches fishing on Saturday morning anyway? I'm on the lake catching my own fish!

[Linked Image]

Marine Electronics and Accessories Sales, Installs, and Repair. We are authorized re-sellers for Garmin,
Humminbird, Lowrance, Minn Kota, Ionic Lithium Batteries, and many more. Give us a call at 936-247-3800.
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13308576 10/11/19 04:30 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I don't think like the new pro format, but I do believe this move is beneficial for "the sport." I don't believe competitive fishing could have ever thrived with three separate professional organizations. It'd be best to have a single professional league, like all other highly successful professional sports in north america, but we may still be a bit away from that.

Scott Jones
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13308578 10/11/19 04:31 PM
R
RANDYSGLIDE Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I can't believe people are even arguing over this. It just fishing, you either like it or you don't. Nobody cares. You will still support it buy buying any and all fishing supplies that are available. But I guess you all are having fun with it.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13308678 10/11/19 06:09 PM
TxBazzn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
My comments aren’t about liking the format or not.

I don’t believe they are growing the sport like they claim and the content is on obscure channels and their own websites. I feel they are taking existing fans and that’s about it.
Guys reference golf and soccer on here. Guess what, everyone knows golf and soccer. They know pro leagues exist and they see it everywhere even if they don’t like the sport and have never played. The same cannot be said for Bass Fishing. And I haven’t seen any evidence in the general public that it is.

You talk about the backend numbers you see Mr. Jones but does that tell you whether it’s new or existing bass fishing fans watching? (That’s an honest question bc I don’t know)
IMO, The sport isn’t growing like they claim. It’s simply monetizing the same market in a new manner.

And to the gentleman who proudly explained BPT is on Discovery at 6am on Saturday’s. That’s not a win brother. ESPN airs BASS at 10 am CST.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: TxBazzn] #13308686 10/11/19 06:19 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I don’t believe they are growing the sport like they claim and the content is on obscure channels and their own websites.

That’s not a win brother.

"I have seen zero data nor am I in the fishing or media industry, but I don't believe it therefore I will post online that it's not working!" - Huh????

Would you somehow know something about every show or activity that your coworkers are watching or involved with? No way. You made a weak point, just say you don't like BPT and move on. No win for you either.

Also, fishing is growing in the high school and college ranks. Or are those tournaments not happening because they aren't on your tv?

BPT and BASS are both trying to capture the same growing market. Another part (not the only part) of their plan is to somehow grow the market by putting more and better content out. Keep in mind, with no growth, this is still a large market opportunity. But there is growth....and we did land on the moon too!

Maybe check back in 3-5 years and let us know what you think? Year one of BPT and year one of BASS expanding their coverage....but this guy already knows what's gonna happen....?

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13308698 10/11/19 06:25 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
I bet the anglers are happy. If you knew any of them that got invited to fish the BPT inaugural season, talk to a few and see what they say. They all went willingly and very quickly from wherever they fished prior.

They are being compensated more fairly and it promises they will eventually be compensated as "professionals" in their field should be compensated. They are the equivalent of the NBA or NFL in their craft and they should be compensated like they are the best of the best. With the added exposure there will be more sponsors and with the increased TV time (and revenue) this will put the anglers in position to be able to negotiate for more money from their sponsors.

Before they were having to come up with $25-40k in entries a year, just for the opportunity to compete for prize money. That is a heck of a hole to start in for the year.

All in all, this should grow the sport. You cannot make fishing mainstream overnight, it's a journey to do so. The kind of money they have invested this far into it, they aren't "hoping" for a return on their investment. They have factual data and the numbers that support their investment.

The ones it will hurt are the newer and the middle of the road guys that "moved up" when there was a mass exodus in 2018-19.

my 2 cents

#MFGA
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13308749 10/11/19 07:32 PM
P
Polly Gosh Lizard Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I have no problem with them being on Discovery Channel at 6 am as I always record them and watch at my leisure. Just as I do with other bass fishing shows.

Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Bobby

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: TxBazzn] #13308765 10/11/19 07:51 PM
P
pchapin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
[quote=TxBazzn

And to the gentleman who proudly explained BPT is on Discovery at 6am on Saturday’s. That’s not a win brother. ESPN airs BASS at 10 am CST.
[/quote]

MLF was on CBS network TV on Saturday all summer. And it was not at 6am or I would never have known it was on.

“No reasonable person would conclude that the statements were truly statements of fact”
P01135809
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: criglizard] #13308768 10/11/19 07:55 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by criglizard
The acquisition of FLW shows that MLF/BPT aint going anywhere. People don't make investments like that without a multiyear plan and a major commitment to make it work. With Kroenke Sports on board, the resources are there to make this work. You guys keep forgetting that they can switch the format in a matter of minutes. It's literally a decision that they vote on and the next tournament or season could be "best 5", "best 7", "smallest 4", etc, whatever.

Since their focus groups aren't "of one", we will all get to see what the market really wants, because this is a huge entity doing the right research to give the market what it wants.

My favorite thing about these topics is the "aww shucks, I'm just a good ol' boy that hates new [censored]. I don't even pay attention to this stuff...I just write about it online....but I dont care..."

Second favorite thing...."Why do I want to watch a bunch of forgotten pros go beat the bank, I can do that!"

Yea except you can't do that at all.

Maybe you can't beat the bank and catch anything. The majority of us can and don't want to watch someone who is a Professional at their sport do the exact thing most people do on saturdays. The strategy of finding the 5 biggest is what attracts most of us. I would venture to say the ones that made the hardcore to transition to only liking the "catch as many as you can" format, probably got boat-raced every weekend in their tournaments.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Douglas J] #13308773 10/11/19 08:01 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Douglas J
I bet the anglers are happy. If you knew any of them that got invited to fish the BPT inaugural season, talk to a few and see what they say. They all went willingly and very quickly from wherever they fished prior.

They are being compensated more fairly and it promises they will eventually be compensated as "professionals" in their field should be compensated. They are the equivalent of the NBA or NFL in their craft and they should be compensated like they are the best of the best. With the added exposure there will be more sponsors and with the increased TV time (and revenue) this will put the anglers in position to be able to negotiate for more money from their sponsors.

Before they were having to come up with $25-40k in entries a year, just for the opportunity to compete for prize money. That is a heck of a hole to start in for the year.

All in all, this should grow the sport. You cannot make fishing mainstream overnight, it's a journey to do so. The kind of money they have invested this far into it, they aren't "hoping" for a return on their investment. They have factual data and the numbers that support their investment.

The ones it will hurt are the newer and the middle of the road guys that "moved up" when there was a mass exodus in 2018-19.

my 2 cents

If you think pro fisherman will be compensated like NFL and NBA players you may want to rethink some things. Fishing is very much a niche hobby and it is not near as big outside of the industry as we all would like to believe. Aside from MAYBE KVD, those guys go walking out in public and the average joe isn't going to know those guys. Not to burst a bubble or two, but some of the TFF heroes who "everyone knows" are nobodies outside of this circle. The economy goes down and people start cutting out their Bass Pro trips and Johnny Morris starts seeing sales decline, that zero entry fee will be the first thing to go.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide