Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Lake Arbuckle Fishing #13295203 09/27/19 08:39 PM
4Weight Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Any of you head north to fish Arbuckle. Heard great things about this lake. Let me hear from you as the weather cools.

Last edited by 4Weight; 09/27/19 08:39 PM.

Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service
www.aztecanglers.com
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: 4Weight] #13295358 09/27/19 11:13 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Did a map for a guy up there. Said he was catching a few good ones; but wanted more good areas to try.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: Donald Harper] #13295382 09/27/19 11:58 PM
4Weight Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Donald Harper
Did a map for a guy up there. Said he was catching a few good ones; but wanted more good areas to try.

Thanks Don.

www.aztecanglers.com
Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: 4Weight] #13295543 09/28/19 02:57 AM
lanfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Great winter fishing. Both large and smallies. At least that's what I think.

Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: 4Weight] #13296411 09/29/19 02:32 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
great bass lake, no smallies that I have ever seen tho and fished it for a lot of yrs.

this time of yr. I like to hit the middle between the two arms, there are some small coves/grass and a couple of long points. up the east arm to the river, both banks early with spooks etc. there is a riprap bank east side of west arm by buckhorn, huge rock at end of it and north side is long and deep, tapers up to the cove. go up the east end and hit the creek/banks there too, worms and crawfish jigs, good topwater early am this time of yr. bank east end of dam, fish the rocks points, good deep water nearby. watch for shad balls, there should be some huge ones about now.

for smallies hit murray, hula grubs on stand up jigs at the south end of the lake/east side. redeye shad on points works good too.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: 4Weight] #13296413 09/29/19 02:34 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
last tournament I fished on arbuckle took almost 32# to win, fished in may with the lake up about 6', picnic tables were hot spots.

I took about 22 in with 5 and wasn't in the money with 45 boats.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: hopalong] #13296452 09/29/19 03:41 PM
lanfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by hopalong
great bass lake, no smallies that I have ever seen tho and fished it for a lot of yrs.

this time of yr. I like to hit the middle between the two arms, there are some small coves/grass and a couple of long points. up the east arm to the river, both banks early with spooks etc. there is a riprap bank east side of west arm by buckhorn, huge rock at end of it and north side is long and deep, tapers up to the cove. go up the east end and hit the creek/banks there too, worms and crawfish jigs, good topwater early am this time of yr. bank east end of dam, fish the rocks points, good deep water nearby. watch for shad balls, there should be some huge ones about now.

for smallies hit murray, hula grubs on stand up jigs at the south end of the lake/east side. redeye shad on points works good too.

You really never seen any smallies there? I normally catch at least 1 pushing 5 every winter. I can take a jerkbait around those bluffs and I always catch some good smallies. I normally dont spend much time targeting them because of the big largemouth that are in the lake.

Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: 4Weight] #13296466 09/29/19 04:14 PM
rj74955 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
CCTX and I went for the first time in June, it was brutally hot and miserable. We spent a couple of days and fished pretty much the entire lake and it was horrible, caught a lot of fish, largemouth, smallmouth, and spots, but they were the skinniest, most unhealthy looking fish I have ever seen anywhere. Graphed everywhere and never saw even a hint of any shad, it was the weirdest thing and I thought the fish were literally starving to death they looked so bad. We were about to call it quits and I hooked up with one of the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught, I told him several times I had a big flathead or something. When we finally got a look at it I couldn't believe it, came off a point just exactly like every other point we had fished for 2 days. Apparently there's some big ones in there, I would like to try it again in the winter. [Linked Image]

Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: hopalong] #13296544 09/29/19 06:36 PM
4Weight Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler

Great reply many thanks for your info.

www.aztecanglers.com
Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: rj74955] #13296546 09/29/19 06:37 PM
4Weight Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by rj74955
CCTX and I went for the first time in June, it was brutally hot and miserable. We spent a couple of days and fished pretty much the entire lake and it was horrible, caught a lot of fish, largemouth, smallmouth, and spots, but they were the skinniest, most unhealthy looking fish I have ever seen anywhere. Graphed everywhere and never saw even a hint of any shad, it was the weirdest thing and I thought the fish were literally starving to death they looked so bad. We were about to call it quits and I hooked up with one of the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught, I told him several times I had a big flathead or something. When we finally got a look at it I couldn't believe it, came off a point just exactly like every other point we had fished for 2 days. Apparently there's some big ones in there, I would like to try it again in the winter. [Linked Image]

Great fish man.

www.aztecanglers.com
Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: lanfish] #13296679 09/29/19 09:55 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by lanfish

You really never seen any smallies there? I normally catch at least 1 pushing 5 every winter. I can take a jerkbait around those bluffs and I always catch some good smallies. I normally dont spend much time targeting them because of the big largemouth that are in the lake.

never saw a smallie on that lake, figured they might be there but never caught or saw one. may be due to targeting lmb?

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: 4Weight] #13296684 09/29/19 10:01 PM
lanfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Yes there are big ones in it. hopalong is right on tournament weights. I know on the summer weekly jackpots there are weeks that 16 plus on 3 fish wont get you a check.

Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: 4Weight] #13296691 09/29/19 10:09 PM
M
MikeSouza Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
It can make you a hero today and tomorrow not get a bite. That lake has humbled me more than Iā€™d like to admit. Have caught quite a few big smallies out there, especially at night.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: 4Weight] #13296704 09/29/19 10:25 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
That monster rj caught fought like pitbull. We fished it three weeks after that two months of solid rain. The lake was slowly returning to normal clarity and water level. Water temps were in the low 80s, but with all the recent high water and still stained, I think there was a lot of scattered bait and a lot really shallow

You can tell the lake can be great, especially if you know it; and it can be finicky/temperamental
Beautiful lake with interesting features.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lake Arbuckle Fishing [Re: hopalong] #13296750 09/29/19 11:18 PM
lanfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by lanfish

never saw a smallie on that lake, figured they might be there but never caught or saw one. may be due to targeting lmb?

Could be. They are everywhere in the lake. Years ago you could take a bitsy tube on the bluffs in the spring and catch them till you were tired of them. In the winter, from the dam all the way down those bluffs there will be some. Then on the corners to the little coves along that bluff, it may be a big smallie or big large.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide