Forums59
Topics1,039,123
Posts13,959,582
Members144,187
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293873 09/26/19 06:14 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
We all know Hydrilla is great but if you have low numbers of fish it means almost nothing.

TPW planted Hydrilla in Lake Fork this year after we discussed how important it is for the fishing population.Never thought this would happen in my lifetime.They took info from the guides and planted it. Now the problem seems to be something is eating it. They think it is turtles. Grows to the edge of the cages and not beyond.

Overs being weighed in tournaments are carrying lower weights due to a influence of native strain. When 5-7 pound fish are over 24 inches. I remember when most all fish close to 24 were pushing 10 pounds. So dont be fooled by numbers of overs being weighed in to be a healthy lake. Try figuring / averaging the weights of all those overs.

I have a chart that shows we have males 16 inches long that are 6-7 years old. I remember TPW shocking up big males in the good ole days of the 90's.

We have a new group of guys at TPW leading the way of the future for Lake Fork and they are great at listening and trying to make it better for all fisherman.

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 09/26/19 06:17 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293976 09/26/19 07:21 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Hard to compare these lakes to what they once were. Most are getting very silted in and without big water fluctuations, they wouldn't make it. The only thing that saves Rayburn was the timely high water literally every spring and early summer for the past 7 years. Hydrilla had very little impact on how good the fishery has gotten. It was the new growth after low water in 2011 combined with high water until now. The fish had brush, haygrass and trees out to 6-10ft protecting them during the spawn and the fry had endless growth to live in year round.

Tpw also has been spraying Rayburn for 20+ years. Often during the best years. Same as Toledo

Last edited by Jarrett Latta; 09/26/19 07:22 PM.
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13293992 09/26/19 07:32 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Hard to compare these lakes to what they once were. Most are getting very silted in and without big water fluctuations, they wouldn't make it.

Jarrett.....exactly! If the natural progression of a lake typically leads to lower fish populations and worse fishing, then why aren't we all trying to counteract that by doing some "new" things. Otherwise, we are just letting nature (and population growth) take its course. Seems crazy.

Also....grass doesn't explain everything. What about Falcon? Alan Henry? Ivie? Good lakes that god popular and fishing went down....a lot.

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13294027 09/26/19 07:58 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I think that if a tournament wants to make money off of a public resource, they should pay a fee for it's use that goes straight back into that lake. Yes, we buy fishing licenses that go to TPWD but the owner of the tournament gets to bring in people from all over the country, make their money, basically using the lake temporarily as their business and never pay rent that would be associated for almost any other kind of business then move on to the next. Tournament fishermen are a small number of all licensed fishermen yet everyone has to support the tournaments use of the resource as they make their money.

Marc is correct about the mortality effect from tournaments, regardless on their claims on how well they handle the fish and their low mortality claims. There have been studies and they clearly show the numbers of fish that die within several days after the tournament

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: criglizard] #13294057 09/26/19 08:23 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by criglizard
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Hard to compare these lakes to what they once were. Most are getting very silted in and without big water fluctuations, they wouldn't make it.

Jarrett.....exactly! If the natural progression of a lake typically leads to lower fish populations and worse fishing, then why aren't we all trying to counteract that by doing some "new" things. Otherwise, we are just letting nature (and population growth) take its course. Seems crazy.

Also....grass doesn't explain everything. What about Falcon? Alan Henry? Ivie? Good lakes that god popular and fishing went down....a lot.

Our lakes are busier every year. You can't keep people from moving to the lake, building property, or just enjoying the lake. Tpw does the best job they can balancing our lakes. Most lakes fishing is a by product. Let's be thankful we have so many options to fish in Texas, they all cycle.

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13294106 09/26/19 09:01 PM
M
Moose364 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
https://www.bassresource.com/fishing/catch_and_release_bass.html

Somewhere this has to kick in also.
Bass Guides don't really bother me I would say most are putting the bass back after a Pic,
Now Crappie guides that is a whole other thing,

1657 Triton Stick steer W/ 50Hp Mercury, Terrova 80, I-pilot
Tracker Pro 190 TX W/115 Mercury
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13294140 09/26/19 09:25 PM
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
One thing I have noticed since having livescope that is super concerning is there are some "dead sea" areas that were super populated in years past that are basically void of fish and bait. Back of Penson, all 3 "arms" of White Oak, Chaney, area past Trout Cove in Birch Creek, Northwest Bay, back of Ray Branch, back half of Dale, back half of Williams, No Name...I am sure I am missing other spots. I have been checking these areas since the spring and something has definitely changed. I don't now how to explain it, it isn't just that the fish aren't there when I am checking...

On the other hand, I see big bass roll through my livescope screen while crappie fishing all the time...and in some really odd ball areas.

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13294174 09/26/19 09:47 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I've noticed the same thing Cameron. Those spots you mentioned were spots I frequented back in the day but haven't been in them in quite awhile for the reasons you mentioned. Something has changed. I know the habitat has changed and maybe the quality of the water has too. Fishing around hot crappie spots can be real productive for bass. Can't tell you how many times I've been reeling in a crappie under the 514 bridge and have a big mouthed bass come up and take it. The 14 pounder I caught had a 9" crappie in her mouth. Yep they love'm.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide