Forums59
Topics1,037,834
Posts13,935,305
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: fouzman] #13292872 09/25/19 04:37 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by fouzman
Originally Posted by beartrap
I believe I read that each spawning bass produces an average of 325,000 fry and each spawning season produces far more fry than the lake can sustain...
this would appear to be true inasmuch as some of our best lakes have numerous tournaments throughout the spring and have had for over 40 years....

You read wrong. Read all the way to the bottom of the article and see how many bass reach 10 inches. I don't know which would be more beneficial, Stephen. Limiting new tournaments in the Spring or ALL tournaments in the June-August time period.

http://www.bassfishingalabama.com/Reproduction.html

I think if you stopped spring tournaments, you would see no difference due to overall pressure already. Can you even tell there is an event going on on a Saturday in March?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13292874 09/25/19 04:40 PM
slim 285 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
And make it guides can’t have trips either . Or just close the fishing down all together.

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13292879 09/25/19 04:45 PM
B
bbexotics Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I for one, believe that all tournaments should be stopped during the spawn.!!!!
The amount of stocking has fallen almost 250k since 2004. That also has an effect on the lake.
But tournaments during a spawn should be a (no,no) in my book

13.66 sharelunker #341,14.59, PB from,"FORK"
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13292902 09/25/19 05:11 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
My own opinion is it ain't broke.

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13292982 09/25/19 06:18 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
I am going chime in just a bit with a little info I have that may shed some light on the stockings.

I have been in meetings with the TPW now for over 25 years about Lake Fork and 5 meetings in the last 1-1/2 years. We discuss stockings and spraying and tournaments.

Stockings first. the TPW have said .05-1.0 percent of stockings survive. Now that is 3,000-5,000 fish to survive and spread out in a 27,690 acres. Not a good total out come for the lake. IMO

Cover is very important with survival rate. I am not for spraying after learning more of what they have told us and seeing the decline of habitat.

Tournaments are a different issue, but by no means the root of the problem. Although back in the 90's I took video and pictures of over 50 big bass dead after a big tournament on Lake Fork. They died after releasing them and 2 days after the tournament blew into the shoreline. Just cause a fish swims off does not mean it survives.

To create a resource like this and it dies in a day when it took 8 years to grow it you never really recover from that and when it happens several times a year even more hurts the lakes potential. IMO

I have seen records that prove to me the numbers of fish per acre in the Lake are down.

We have more predator threat to our fish now days than ever before. Turtles are insane numbers here. Water Turkeys,White Bass, Gar, and Spraying are all issues that effect to bottom line.

Now to address a post pointed towards guides. I buy a license to be able to make a living by fishing and use the resources of the state. This money goes to the TPW for their use.

Tournaments on the other hand do not buy or pay for any use of the resources of the state. IMO they should at least give a percentage back to the restocking of resources and or buy a permit to use the resources like my guide license.

Tournament anglers do not spend as much money in the area as you would think either. Studies show most are locals driving in and not spending lots of dollars. Some really big tournaments have marinas give them money to come here in hopes to cover their expense or more and that is a close call on breaking even from what I have heard.

Anyhow Lake Fork is like your bank account. You cannot have to much money in IT ! Lake Fork cant have to many fish in IT ! We need more fish per acre.

Thanks for reading my post. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 09/25/19 06:36 PM.
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293000 09/25/19 06:35 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
As is almost always the case, I agree with Marc Mitchell.

“The more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.†- Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293004 09/25/19 06:39 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
I would love to see biologist study popular tournament lakes every year and issue "X" number of tournament permits per year based on overall health of the lake. Ray Roberts just had back to back weekend big HS tournaments here at the end of a long summer with the water still very hot knowing any fish that were caught were stressed to the max. Tournament pressure followed by habitat eradication from the TPWD grass haters IMO are the two biggest contributors to tougher fishing conditions everywhere. Fishing seasons like some of the States up North would probably help too but I am not really a fan of that. Only thing positive there is that I would not have to choose like I do this weekend, deer hunt or fish...

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: Mark Perry] #13293008 09/25/19 06:46 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
My own opinion is it ain't broke.

THIS!

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #13293013 09/25/19 06:53 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
I am going chime in just a bit with a little info I have that may shed some light on the stockings.

I have been in meetings with the TPW now for over 25 years about Lake Fork and 5 meetings in the last 1-1/2 years. We discuss stockings and spraying and tournaments.

Stockings first. the TPW have said .05-1.0 percent of stockings survive. Now that is 3,000-5,000 fish to survive and spread out in a 27,690 acres. Not a good total out come for the lake. IMO

Cover is very important with survival rate. I am not for spraying after learning more of what they have told us and seeing the decline of habitat.

Tournaments are a different issue, but by no means the root of the problem. Although back in the 90's I took video and pictures of over 50 big bass dead after a big tournament on Lake Fork. They died after releasing them and 2 days after the tournament blew into the shoreline. Just cause a fish swims off does not mean it survives.

To create a resource like this and it dies in a day when it took 8 years to grow it you never really recover from that and when it happens several times a year even more hurts the lakes potential. IMO

I have seen records that prove to me the numbers of fish per acre in the Lake are down.

We have more predator threat to our fish now days than ever before. Turtles are insane numbers here. Water Turkeys,White Bass, Gar, and Spraying are all issues that effect to bottom line.

Now to address a post pointed towards guides. I buy a license to be able to make a living by fishing and use the resources of the state. This money goes to the TPW for their use.

Tournaments on the other hand do not buy or pay for any use of the resources of the state. IMO they should at least give a percentage back to the restocking of resources and or buy a permit to use the resources like my guide license.

Tournament anglers do not spend as much money in the area as you would think either. Studies show most are locals driving in and not spending lots of dollars. Some really big tournaments have marinas give them money to come here in hopes to cover their expense or more and that is a close call on breaking even from what I have heard.

Anyhow Lake Fork is like your bank account. You cannot have to much money in IT ! Lake Fork cant have to many fish in IT ! We need more fish per acre.

Says someone that makes money off of Lake Fork, and whose success is based upon putting clients on those big fish. I am sure your opinion is completely unbiased.

cheers

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: bbexotics] #13293022 09/25/19 07:13 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by bbexotics
I for one, believe that all tournaments should be stopped during the spawn.!!!!
The amount of stocking has fallen almost 250k since 2004. That also has an effect on the lake.
But tournaments during a spawn should be a (no,no) in my book

I think what you meant was that the lake should be closed to everyone during the spawn.
Which is insane.
I know the Yanks close during the spawn but when I decide I want to live in a sub-par state for dining and hunting, I will move up there.

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293028 09/25/19 07:22 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
so stephen, youre ok with the current amount of tournaments, you want to regulate annually how many more can be added..?

how many more would you think would be the right number..? For the marina's and hotel/motel, gas, grocery, beer, and restaurants
I'm sure they would like to have tournaments every week end, all year. For me, has a residence on Fork, and dont fish tournaments
I would prefer that there not be any tournaments...cant please all of the people all the time,.. fish

welcome back i guess,..???

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293077 09/25/19 08:19 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I think "most" anglers would be ok giving back to the lake in the form of money to restock it. Larger entries, permits, however you do it. But... I think the money should go to more adult size fish, atleast larger than fingerlings, versus what they stock now. The larger fish aren't cheap but they have a much better chance at survival

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293260 09/26/19 12:22 AM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by Stephen M Fatherree
Not that this would ever happen due to the large amount of money which Lake Fork Tournaments bring into the marinas as well as other local businesses, but does anyone other than myself think that it would be nice to see a limit on how many new annual tournaments can be held during the prime spawning season?

As we all know Lake Fork is one of the most popular bass fisheries in the country which handles the enormous fishing pressure quite well. In the 10 plus years and I have lived on Fork I have seen a new annual tournament series starting up during the springtime nearly every 2-3 years. The amount of beds which are prop washed and destroyed during the largemouth bass spawn certainly has a negative effect on the overall quality of the lakes bass. Not only does prop washing beds by anglers whom have their trolling motors too deep in shallow water impact the lakes largemouth population, but catching and then bringing male bass that were protecting their beds miles away to be weighed during tournaments also effects the quality of the fishery. Continuing to allow more and more new annual springtime tournament events on Lake Fork will only lead to even more spawning beds being destroyed. At the rate of which these new annual springtime tournaments call Lake Fork home the effects of this added pressure more likely than not will begin to show. When will enough be enough? Perhaps there could be a ban on any new tournaments during a 4 week period during early March to early April. I would love to hear other anglers opinion on this topic.

Nah, the guides do more damage sight fishing
stir roflmao

She'll be fine! The slot is fine at controlling for now!

Last edited by David Burton; 09/26/19 12:23 AM.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #13293304 09/26/19 01:13 AM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Tournament Fisherman have a Fishing license too. This money goes to the TPW for their use...…………….

Re: Lake Fork Spring Spawning Season New Tournament Limits - What do you think? [Re: S Fatherree] #13293354 09/26/19 02:07 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
End tournaments and end guiding on it. Why is it ok for one and not the other? Seems the guides want it to themselves. Doesnt work that way. This same topic comes up about every 2-3 years. No tournaments for Jan- May, and no licensed guides on the water for business at the same time. I would vote for that rule!! Catch and release only on all bass greater than 16â€

Last edited by SkeeterRonnie; 09/26/19 02:08 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide