Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Cheating [Re: GROD] #13292376 09/25/19 03:17 AM
S
skeeter james Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by GROD
IF MONEY IS INVOLVED, then some will still cheat. I believe it’s a small fraction of actual bass fisherman though. Tournaments like the Sealy though, where you can fish off the bank and somehow trailer your fish to weigh in, I guarantee some of those bass come out of surrounding stock tanks. No doubt about it... just roll the dice on a poly draw or not. I don’t agree with any tournament allowing fishing off the bank anywhere on the lake.

You’re right... I use to race motocross and some of those guys would kill you for a $5 plastic trophy, imagine what they will do for real money!!!

Formerly known as progator james
2013 Skeeter FX21 with a 250 SHO... Love this boat!!

James Moore
214-458-8024
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292392 09/25/19 03:37 AM
I
Ian Fellenbaum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
With the way social media is today,I feel like there are less people willing to cheat then there was 15-20 years ago. The public shame isn’t worth the risk I would assume. I’m sure there are still some guys out there trying to defraud tournament trails but not many.

STORAGE CONTAINERS TO GO
Sales-Rentals-Rent to Own
Re: Cheating [Re: BigVes] #13292406 09/25/19 03:52 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BigVes
Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy
There was a guy in SoCal ( can't remember his name -- this was 4-5 years ago ) that participated in a ton of tourneys over many years . He won or placed well in several of them . The lakes they were fishing had spotted bass mostly --- so really big bass were kinda uncommon . He devised a way to attach a small hook to a banana type weight ( 2 to 3 ounces each ) then would shove the weight down the bass throat and the hook would keep it place . He did this without the Co 's seeing it . The only reason they ended up catching him was because he always had a higher than average mortality vs other fisherman .
The fish that were brought in and had died were being cleaned and donated to local charities . One of the people cleaning these fish found the weights and reported it . The next tourney comes around and they suspected this guy , so when he brought in his fish , they weighed then and immediately cleaned them , ended up finding a weight in every fish .
This guy was well liked and respected , but ended up paying huge fines , no fishing license and no tourneys anymore --- probably lost any friends he had also .
Put a little money in front of some people and they totally change how they act .

That happened at the US Open 10 or so years ago on Lake Mead. Guy was arrested, charged and never seen or heard from again.

Anyone that cheats will eventually get caught especially with the technology we have today (internet, camera phones, etc...). The bass fishing community does not put up with cheating. These people get put on blast via the internet & social media, word gets around within days and the criminals days of cheating and tournament fishing are done.

RIP Mike Long... but not really

That was Mike Hart, probably either him or Tony Chistianson were the highest level tournaments that cheaters were caught in, the Christianson deal FLW sent him packing and totally swept it under the rug out of embarrassment. I think it happens way more at the club, team and big bass tournament level than people want to admit.

Originally Posted by BMCD
Kinda why i like to fish draw type tournaments, feel like it is less likely to happen.

100%
I only fish and trust the draw tournament style where they pair random, but won't deny stuff can happen there as well, see the Nate Wellman incident.

Last edited by Legend LE-195; 09/25/19 03:56 AM.
Re: Cheating [Re: JeffLStevens] #13292411 09/25/19 03:54 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by JeffLStevens
I believe there is some cheating.....I think saying that there isn't is naïve. We all fished against Robby for years and some of us called him a cheater for years....finally caught. We fished against Ryan and called him a cheater for years.....finally caught. There are a handful that I still have some suspicions about but they are pretty selective on what they fish and bounce around a lot.....and eventually they will be caught too.
Caught more than once, SMH

Re: Cheating [Re: TR176] #13292418 09/25/19 04:01 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TR176
Am I correct t in saying cheating in fishing tourneys is now a state jail felony? How often have people been caught and end up with a felony on their record forever?

IDK for sure but look up the kayak cheater guy, I think they wanted an example made out of him so think he got the max penalty they could dish out.

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292450 09/25/19 06:27 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
If they cheated back then with smaller pots, you could bet there are people still cheating today for the larger pots. There is no way to truly know how many people cheat. you only know how many people get caught. Then there is also the debate of what constitutes cheating. Do you categorize someone who breaks a rule and knowingly doesn't self report or do you consider cheating to be something that changes the outcome like trimming a tail? These debates have been on here before and what people consider and don't consider cheating go from one extreme to the other

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292548 09/25/19 12:32 PM
Fishinfellow Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
There will always be people breaking the rules in 100% of the tournaments you fish but as far as actual "Cheating" like tying up fish, cutting tails or snagging etc, I think it happens more than anyone on this thread cares to realize. That's just my two cents though.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: Cheating [Re: Fishinfellow] #13292571 09/25/19 12:58 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
There will always be people breaking the rules in 100% of the tournaments you fish but as far as actual "Cheating" like tying up fish, cutting tails or snagging etc, I think it happens more than anyone on this thread cares to realize. That's just my two cents though.

Nah. I agree on the rule infractions. In that case, I “cheated” last night. I forgot to attach my kill switch bracelet once last night. I still weighed in and won. I don’t think the cheating stuff happens. Not like most think it does. Most of the time, you simply are getting beat may someone that is just better. cheers

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Cheating [Re: TR176] #13292575 09/25/19 01:01 PM
T
TinRangerJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by TR176
Am I correct t in saying cheating in fishing tourneys is now a state jail felony? How often have people been caught and end up with a felony on their record forever?

In some states it's considered theft by fraud, can be either a misdemeanor or felony depending on the amount of money at stake

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292671 09/25/19 02:05 PM
206champion Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Im sure it happens sometimes just not as often as people think.

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292794 09/25/19 03:29 PM
J
JeffLStevens Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I ran stats on a couple of guys fishing a weekly grapevine event and found them to be a little hard to believe. I didn't run the stats until after I fished one of the events and while all other boats were sitting right by the ramp....they had their boat power poled down about 100 yards away. Of course that didn't really catch my eye until my tournament partner that saw them parked a ways away wondered why and checked their bunk boards and theirs were completely dry while everyone else's were still wet. You can't launch until a certain time so this seemed odd.....unless they have some kind of fast drying bunk boards.

I sent the stats over the last 8 or so tournaments to the TD and simply said that I found them interesting.....that team didn't show up to the next event....or the next....or the next.

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292801 09/25/19 03:34 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
it doesn't happen often but it does happen anytime money of fame is involved cheaters going to cheat most of the time they get away with it because the tournament directors don't want to be that guy who exposes someone because of the drama that ensues afterward .

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292940 09/25/19 05:40 PM
S
Slide_R Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
There is some level of incidental cheating that happens and the contestant may not even know they did wrong.

Perhaps you started your big motor to move away from the rocks and not everyone had a life vest on.
Maybe you do not measure your fish the way the Game Warden does and violations occur.
Your boat gets blown partly into an off limits area and you move quickly out.
Sometimes it might be a rules interpretation verse what the GW or TD interprets.

Best we can do is read the rules and follow them to the best of our ability, report our actions or DQ ourselves when we do wrong and move forward.
Some cheating is blatant with the expectation of creating an advantage, other times the intention may be less nefarious but still a rules violation.

Robert Oleson
aka Slide_R

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292995 09/25/19 06:30 PM
Outlaw Outdoors Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
As a tournament director, here is my take on rule infractions versus cheating:

A rule infraction is anything that does not give you an advantage over another angler (not snapping life jacket, forgetting to attach kill switch, empty water bottle flying out of the boat, etc).
Cheating is anything that does give you an advantage (caging fish, meeting a buddy to combine fish, adding weight to a fish, etc).

Before every polygraph, I have a private conversation with the team that is selected to take the polygraph. I ask this exact question - did you do anything today that is going to show deception on the polygraph? If they confess a rule infraction at that point and I feel it is accidental, then we will work with the polygraph examiner to work around the issue. If you do not divulge anything prior to the polygraph and then show signs of deception, then everything is considered cheating to me. You had the opportunity to divulge the "mistake" and you chose to try to get away with it. In my opinion that is now cheating because you tried to get away with a rule infraction.

We also do not simply polygraph the tournament winner. We randomly draw from the top 6 places, but it is weighted towards the top. 1st place gets 6 chips in the bucket, 2nd place gets 5 chips in the bucket, 3rd place gets 4 chips in the bucket, etc. I also do not allow the team to determine who takes the polygraph. We flip a coin to determine which one takes it.

Sadly, the polygraph is our only line of defense against cheating. Otherwise, we rely on other anglers to investigate any suspicious activity during tournament hours to help prevent or deter cheating.

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13293023 09/25/19 07:16 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
After reading the above, this pretty much clears up any misconceptions that I had about cheating. I hope it did for others as well and then we can let his dead horse rest...again!

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide