Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Cheating #13291656 09/24/19 04:45 PM
R
RedEar12 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s I made a decision to not fish Tournaments. This was because back then, there were a couple of high profile big bass tournaments that cheating was discovered in East Texas. I grew up in Longview and it just soured me on Tournaments. I know they are great trails out there now so this is not bashing any organizations. My question is this, is cheating very prevelant in todays tournament atmosphere? I have always wondered how many times a guy cashes a check, not necessarily wins, by breaking the rules.
Just want to hear some opinions from guys that do fish for the cash.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13291711 09/24/19 05:30 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I’ve not heard of any cheating in the tourneys I fish. And I fish a BUNCH. Big trails, small jackpots, everything inbetween. Sometimes I wish they were cheating, so I’d have an excuse.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13291739 09/24/19 05:46 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
I would say no. You don't really see it in todays tournaments. Does it happen??? Prolly sometimes. But I know in the past, most of the guys everyone suspected of cheating. Got caught and no longer fish.

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13291757 09/24/19 05:58 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
There was a guy in SoCal ( can't remember his name -- this was 4-5 years ago ) that participated in a ton of tourneys over many years . He won or placed well in several of them . The lakes they were fishing had spotted bass mostly --- so really big bass were kinda uncommon . He devised a way to attach a small hook to a banana type weight ( 2 to 3 ounces each ) then would shove the weight down the bass throat and the hook would keep it place . He did this without the Co 's seeing it . The only reason they ended up catching him was because he always had a higher than average mortality vs other fisherman .
The fish that were brought in and had died were being cleaned and donated to local charities . One of the people cleaning these fish found the weights and reported it . The next tourney comes around and they suspected this guy , so when he brought in his fish , they weighed then and immediately cleaned them , ended up finding a weight in every fish .
This guy was well liked and respected , but ended up paying huge fines , no fishing license and no tourneys anymore --- probably lost any friends he had also .
Put a little money in front of some people and they totally change how they act .

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13291871 09/24/19 07:36 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Who knows, but I can think of several names from DFW and Central TX with a cloud of suspicion surrounding them that are actively fishing our major trails

And folks keep getting caught

Re: Cheating [Re: 1oldbassguy] #13291878 09/24/19 07:40 PM
B
BigVes Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy
There was a guy in SoCal ( can't remember his name -- this was 4-5 years ago ) that participated in a ton of tourneys over many years . He won or placed well in several of them . The lakes they were fishing had spotted bass mostly --- so really big bass were kinda uncommon . He devised a way to attach a small hook to a banana type weight ( 2 to 3 ounces each ) then would shove the weight down the bass throat and the hook would keep it place . He did this without the Co 's seeing it . The only reason they ended up catching him was because he always had a higher than average mortality vs other fisherman .
The fish that were brought in and had died were being cleaned and donated to local charities . One of the people cleaning these fish found the weights and reported it . The next tourney comes around and they suspected this guy , so when he brought in his fish , they weighed then and immediately cleaned them , ended up finding a weight in every fish .
This guy was well liked and respected , but ended up paying huge fines , no fishing license and no tourneys anymore --- probably lost any friends he had also .
Put a little money in front of some people and they totally change how they act .

That happened at the US Open 10 or so years ago on Lake Mead. Guy was arrested, charged and never seen or heard from again.

Anyone that cheats will eventually get caught especially with the technology we have today (internet, camera phones, etc...). The bass fishing community does not put up with cheating. These people get put on blast via the internet & social media, word gets around within days and the criminals days of cheating and tournament fishing are done.

RIP Mike Long... but not really

Last edited by BigVes; 09/24/19 07:42 PM.

Adam Vesely

IG @AdamVeselyFishing
www.greatstatestorage.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.gfunkbaits.com
PB 10.94lbs Lake Ray Hubbard 4.7.19
Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13291902 09/24/19 08:06 PM
J
JeffLStevens Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I believe there is some cheating.....I think saying that there isn't is naïve. We all fished against Robby for years and some of us called him a cheater for years....finally caught. We fished against Ryan and called him a cheater for years.....finally caught. There are a handful that I still have some suspicions about but they are pretty selective on what they fish and bounce around a lot.....and eventually they will be caught too.

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13291904 09/24/19 08:07 PM
BMCD Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Kinda why i like to fish draw type tournaments, feel like it is less likely to happen.

Re: Cheating [Re: 1oldbassguy] #13291920 09/24/19 08:16 PM
B
basscaster46 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B

People will do anything if money is involved . It’s been proven too many times.
J D

I got all day I’m retired
Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13291971 09/24/19 08:54 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I think there is some level of it to cash checks. Not to win. Not saying it happens often, but does happen especially in deep payout tournaments like champs or TTT

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13291977 09/24/19 08:59 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It's been a while since I've competed but I like to think that when I do return to it that I will be competing against good honest guys. I was the next guy that walked off the Stage after Robby weighed his last tournament fish, watched that whole deal first hand. I remember vividly the words "hey this fish can't swim" I was startled turned around and realized my fish was still on the stage and the tank guys were holding Robby's.

I have fished events on Texoma where the infamous R L was surrounded by a cloud of suspicion as well, but after that the thought of " I wonder if there is a cheater here today?" never crosses my mind.

Re: Cheating [Re: BigVes] #13292006 09/24/19 09:29 PM
T
TinRangerJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by BigVes

That happened at the US Open 10 or so years ago on Lake Mead. Guy was arrested, charged and never seen or heard from again.

Anyone that cheats will eventually get caught especially with the technology we have today (internet, camera phones, etc...). The bass fishing community does not put up with cheating. These people get put on blast via the internet & social media, word gets around within days and the criminals days of cheating and tournament fishing are done.

RIP Mike Long... but not really

Wrong Mike... the U.S. Open cheater was Mike Hart (but he was probably cut from the same bolt of cloth as Mike Long...)

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292108 09/24/19 10:58 PM
GROD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
IF MONEY IS INVOLVED, then some will still cheat. I believe it’s a small fraction of actual bass fisherman though. Tournaments like the Sealy though, where you can fish off the bank and somehow trailer your fish to weigh in, I guarantee some of those bass come out of surrounding stock tanks. No doubt about it... just roll the dice on a poly draw or not. I don’t agree with any tournament allowing fishing off the bank anywhere on the lake.

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292131 09/24/19 11:24 PM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Am I correct t in saying cheating in fishing tourneys is now a state jail felony? How often have people been caught and end up with a felony on their record forever?

Re: Cheating [Re: RedEar12] #13292373 09/25/19 03:15 AM
S
skeeter james Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I fish a little Friday night tournament on Lewisville and a few tournaments ago I caught a little bass and as I was swinging it in the boat I caught a glimpse of its tail and it was bleeding. I thought it’s awful late for a bass too have a bloody tail. Then I took it off the hook and held it up and the whole tail had been cut shorter. Which is really weird because Lewisville isn’t a slot lake. But that’s all I can figure is someone cut it for some reason...

Formerly known as progator james
2013 Skeeter FX21 with a 250 SHO... Love this boat!!

James Moore
214-458-8024
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide