Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
SHAD #13290790 09/23/19 06:22 PM
harvey walker Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Ok the water temperature is still in the upper 80's on Lake Waco where would you start to look for shad's? I know the day's are some what shorter.

Last edited by harvey walker; 09/23/19 06:23 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: SHAD [Re: harvey walker] #13290792 09/23/19 06:24 PM
i-Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Points, secondary points, mouths of pockets, backs of pockets, offshore structure.

If you can't find em wind em.
Re: SHAD [Re: harvey walker] #13290797 09/23/19 06:28 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
There are billions of little tiny shad in the lakes right now... they're everywhere! Figure out where the gizzard shad are and the big bass wont be far behind. I'm finding them to still be mainlake for the most part up here in the DFW area, would think it would be similar on Waco.

Re: SHAD [Re: i-Fish] #13290817 09/23/19 06:43 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by i-Fish
Points, secondary points, mouths of pockets, backs of pockets, offshore structure.

So basically the whole lake?

Re: SHAD [Re: harvey walker] #13290838 09/23/19 06:53 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If you're looking for shad for bait we loaded the boat in 3ft of water at Texoma. I know diddly about Waco. but chances are the bait are shallow there too usually on sandy flats.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: SHAD [Re: harvey walker] #13290883 09/23/19 07:29 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
They'll still be in the main lake. Water this warm algae will still be blooming now problem. 77 degrees is the magic number. Once the lakes hit that, the main lake algae blooms will start to decline and the shad will slowly start to work their way back into the creek arms following the algae until the temps get into the high 50's, then they'll reverse course and head back out to the main basin. Water temps below 55 can kill shad so they stay in the main lake which is less susceptible to temp swings that could kill them.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: SHAD [Re: 9094] #13290916 09/23/19 08:07 PM
BrockstaRama Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by 9094

Lol, that's what I was thinking

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Re: SHAD [Re: harvey walker] #13290935 09/23/19 08:39 PM
i-Fish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Or, if you can read, OP asked where to start. You’re beating the bank all day anyway so get back to being unproductive.

If you can't find em wind em.
Re: SHAD [Re: harvey walker] #13290977 09/23/19 09:17 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
When you are running the main lake going to one cove after the other; pay close attention to your depth finder. You will be seeing schools of Shad all at the same depth all over the lake. This is how I find the coves that are the most productive:::::
- Lets say you are seeing tons of bait and fish at 12 feet all over the lake as you Run.
- When you turn into a cove all of that STOPS. Get out of there quickly.
- The next cove continues to show bait and fish at 12 ft. at least half way back into this cove. This is where you fish.
- Bass and Bait are at 12 ft. half way back. Start working points just before it begins to thin down.
- Work the points at 12 ft. as the bait and Bass will be connecting to those points at the depth they have chosen to migrate toward the backs of the creeks.
- As this Migration continues toward the back of the coves and creeks the bait and Bass will get shallower and shallower.
- Keep an EYE on your Shoreline for activity; especially at Day Break for your Top Water Bite.

ONE other thing. Bass eat Shad anytime they want to. Once they move to the back of the cove you may find that they are not interested in all the Shad patterns that you can give them. They have run into the CRAYFISH patterns as that time of year has also begun.
- The Spawning flats hold Crayfish.
- Change gears with the Crayfish Chatter Baits using the Crayfish Hop Technique.

The Crayfish Hop

This is the technique with my Crayfish Chatter Baits.  They are weed guarded for the short bottom drag working it to the defensive mode. This Technique is also used when I fish the Baby Doll Jigs. 
- Cast it out beside heavy cover.  They may take it just like all other baits on the way to the bottom.
- Fishing on slack line as it falls; be a line watcher and look for the line to jump. No pressure on the bait when it is at rest or falling. Very slowly drag it along the bottom until it touches a rock or stick.  This is when a Crayfish goes to Defensive Mode and gets hammered.  you will feel the tug as your line is now tight.
- Make two soft up and down roller coaster lifts while turning the handle.  This is the Fleeing Action. Rod at 9:00 and up to 12:00 and another 9:00 to 12:00.  Now let it fall to the bottom as that is all the energy a Crayfish has is two burst.
- Back to slack line while it is on the bottom.
- Take up slack and very slowly drag the bait until it touches something.  It is back to defensive mode.
- Do this twice on an average cast beside heavy cover.
- Then reel the Chatter Bait in as you would any Chatter Bait.  You are looking to get bit either on the Crayfish HOP or the regular Chatter Bait slow roll back to the boat.  You will soon develop a pattern that the Bass like.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: SHAD [Re: Donald Harper] #13291053 09/23/19 10:42 PM
harvey walker Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Donald Harper
When you are running the main lake going to one cove after the other; pay close attention to your depth finder. You will be seeing schools of Shad all at the same depth all over the lake. This is how I find the coves that are the most productive:::::
- Lets say you are seeing tons of bait and fish at 12 feet all over the lake as you Run.
- When you turn into a cove all of that STOPS. Get out of there quickly.
- The next cove continues to show bait and fish at 12 ft. at least half way back into this cove. This is where you fish.
- Bass and Bait are at 12 ft. half way back. Start working points just before it begins to thin down.
- Work the points at 12 ft. as the bait and Bass will be connecting to those points at the depth they have chosen to migrate toward the backs of the creeks.
- As this Migration continues toward the back of the coves and creeks the bait and Bass will get shallower and shallower.
- Keep an EYE on your Shoreline for activity; especially at Day Break for your Top Water Bite.

ONE other thing. Bass eat Shad anytime they want to. Once they move to the back of the cove you may find that they are not interested in all the Shad patterns that you can give them. They have run into the CRAYFISH patterns as that time of year has also begun.
- The Spawning flats hold Crayfish.
- Change gears with the Crayfish Chatter Baits using the Crayfish Hop Technique.

The Crayfish Hop

This is the technique with my Crayfish Chatter Baits.  They are weed guarded for the short bottom drag working it to the defensive mode. This Technique is also used when I fish the Baby Doll Jigs. 
- Cast it out beside heavy cover.  They may take it just like all other baits on the way to the bottom.
- Fishing on slack line as it falls; be a line watcher and look for the line to jump. No pressure on the bait when it is at rest or falling. Very slowly drag it along the bottom until it touches a rock or stick.  This is when a Crayfish goes to Defensive Mode and gets hammered.  you will feel the tug as your line is now tight.
- Make two soft up and down roller coaster lifts while turning the handle.  This is the Fleeing Action. Rod at 9:00 and up to 12:00 and another 9:00 to 12:00.  Now let it fall to the bottom as that is all the energy a Crayfish has is two burst.
- Back to slack line while it is on the bottom.
- Take up slack and very slowly drag the bait until it touches something.  It is back to defensive mode.
- Do this twice on an average cast beside heavy cover.
- Then reel the Chatter Bait in as you would any Chatter Bait.  You are looking to get bit either on the Crayfish HOP or the regular Chatter Bait slow roll back to the boat.  You will soon develop a pattern that the Bass like.

Thanks, that sounds good.

Re: SHAD [Re: BrockstaRama] #13291082 09/23/19 11:26 PM
Minner Bucket Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
Originally Posted by 9094

Lol, that's what I was thinking

roflmao

Re: SHAD [Re: harvey walker] #13291154 09/24/19 12:50 AM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
this was lake whitney today. Like this all over the lake

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: SHAD [Re: harvey walker] #13291174 09/24/19 01:06 AM
Stikslinger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Been having good luck on good bass flipping trees late afternoon east side (shady side) in 8 to 12 ft water. Been using big bush hogs and 10 worms. With water levels dropping the fish are still holding in summer patterns. Give it a try.

Re: SHAD [Re: harvey walker] #13291444 09/24/19 12:56 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
With 44 Diesel's screen shots; this is showing that they are not ready to move yet and still holding on the Summer patterns as mentioned above. When you see that suspended line of fish all over the lake is when you can begin to follow them into some of the major coves with good creeks leading to the back.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide