Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston #13285424 09/18/19 08:28 PM
klbj2007 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I just booked a trip with him and he wanted us to meet him at the boat slip at 0645 hrs. We got there at 0630 and there was no boat. I called him and he stated his capt was getting fuel.
I waited approx 25 min and still no boat. Called him back and was told his capt. took the wrong group out. He stated that they were already too far out and would not be coming back.

First of all I booked the trip with Capt. Mike Williams not another guide that worked for him (wanted a Tarpon trip). Secondly, either Mike Williams didn't relay the group info to his captain or his captain didn't check to ensure he
was taking the correct group. I decided to go out with the guide that was without a group (since they got on the wrong boat) and Mike Williams got ticked off saying I couldn't go out with another captain as he wouldn't be responsible.

When we got back in to the dock, I called the captain on Mike Williams boat and requested him to meet me at the dock to refund my deposit. He called back with a really poor attitude and I then called Mike Williams to discuss how my deposit would be refunded
and he denied all responsibility and fault. In fact he blamed the captain I ended up going out with (he had nothing to do with this situation). Capt. Mike Williams was extremely difficult to work with and had very bad customer service. I got the impression
he really didn't give a da*m about his customers at all.

Worst guide experience I have ever had.

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: klbj2007] #13285445 09/18/19 08:46 PM
Tin Star Cajun Offline
Angler
Angler
If you paid by credit card, just dispute the charge. Easy to do.
Good luck

The only difference between a little girls scream and a warrior's battle cry is the direction your'e running!

[Linked Image]
Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: Tin Star Cajun] #13285460 09/18/19 09:07 PM
klbj2007 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun
If you paid by credit card, just dispute the charge. Easy to do.
Good luck

Yeah, that would have been easier but he only deals in cash. The issue is I spent a lot of money on that trip specifically to go tarpon fishing with supposedly the best tarpon guide in Texas to wind up just being told your screwed out
of the trip because his captain doesn't know how to verify the group he is booked with.

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: klbj2007] #13285951 09/19/19 03:46 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Nothing like your experience but this past weekend I went to Florida on a trip I’ve had booked with Ray Rosher for over a month only to show up and be taken out with a 25yo captain of his. I didn’t even realize that was a thing and was a little off putting to book with someone and get someone else.

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: wh2004] #13286064 09/19/19 11:59 AM
klbj2007 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by wh2004
Nothing like your experience but this past weekend I went to Florida on a trip I’ve had booked with Ray Rosher for over a month only to show up and be taken out with a 25yo captain of his. I didn’t even realize that was a thing and was a little off putting to book with someone and get someone else.

I completely agree. You book with a specific guide because you were either referred to them or heard they are good. Sucks to find out they aren't involved at all except to take the money.

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: klbj2007] #13286153 09/19/19 12:49 PM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
live and learn. we did the same thing in Fl a few years ago. now i get all info up front. really puts a damper on the trip when you start off with a unknown guide.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: klbj2007] #13286162 09/19/19 12:53 PM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
not doubting your experience but I'd like to hear the guide's side of the story too. As a former guide in freshwater, occasionally I was double booked and put clients on another guide's boat. I DID inform them of this before the trip though.
This is the first really negative review of Mike Williams and he's been a legend on the coast for years. (I don't know him personally so I don't have a stake in this)

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: klbj2007] #13286174 09/19/19 12:59 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I was on a trip in Rockport many years ago where one name guide was booked, but another guide took out the party.
I suppose a person should be very direct with the guide and confirm upfront before agreeing to the terms what exactly are the terms. It would be nice if the guide was upfront to begin with. That doesn’t seem to be too much to expect.

Maybe a statement like “ I agree to only go out with guide X and if guide X isn’t available, then I expect a full refund of my deposit.” Stinks, though, if you’ve planned a trip for a while because that means you aren’t going to get to go out that day. Weather conditions can mess up schedules, but there’s often some advance warning for that. Showing up at a dock the morning of with everything out of order really isn’t acceptable. The guide doubling down on a bad hand is that much worse. Some people think they are incapable of making a mistake or ever needing to make things right.

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: klbj2007] #13286192 09/19/19 01:10 PM
F
FishyB Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I booked a trip with Capt. Mike Williams last year about this time, even posted on here about how excited we were to go on the trip.

First indication was talking with him and his wife, not professional and definitely old school in how they do things.

When I posted on TFF about the trip coming up at the time; I got a phone call from a guy, saying, "don't go out with Capt. Mike, he is terrible."

The trip was canceled at the last minute, due to weather, but it wasn't Capt. Mike that canceled it was another guide that worked for him.

Since it was canceled due to rain, the options were refund back or save it for another trip in the future.

I requested the refund back, which took several phone calls and getting really short on the phone with Capt. Mike and his wife. However, we did get the money back eventually.

I will never use his service for a trip.

Just my experience.......

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: klbj2007] #13286300 09/19/19 02:11 PM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Mike Williams did the same to us about 20 years ago. He doesn't have a very good reputation on the 2cool forum in the tarpon section either.

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: photofishin] #13286561 09/19/19 04:49 PM
klbj2007 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by photofishin
not doubting your experience but I'd like to hear the guide's side of the story too. As a former guide in freshwater, occasionally I was double booked and put clients on another guide's boat. I DID inform them of this before the trip though.
This is the first really negative review of Mike Williams and he's been a legend on the coast for years. (I don't know him personally so I don't have a stake in this)

His reputation was the entire reason I booked with him. The issue was not that he was double booked it was that another group that had booked with a different guide got on the wrong boat. It should be the captain's responsibility to
confirm his booking prior to pulling out. I have booked other trips for striper and such and have always confirmed identity with the guide before boarding his boat.

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: FishyB] #13286565 09/19/19 04:52 PM
klbj2007 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by FishyB
I booked a trip with Capt. Mike Williams last year about this time, even posted on here about how excited we were to go on the trip.

First indication was talking with him and his wife, not professional and definitely old school in how they do things.

When I posted on TFF about the trip coming up at the time; I got a phone call from a guy, saying, "don't go out with Capt. Mike, he is terrible."

The trip was canceled at the last minute, due to weather, but it wasn't Capt. Mike that canceled it was another guide that worked for him.

Since it was canceled due to rain, the options were refund back or save it for another trip in the future.

I requested the refund back, which took several phone calls and getting really short on the phone with Capt. Mike and his wife. However, we did get the money back eventually.

I will never use his service for a trip.

Just my experience.......

You hit the nail on the head, the communication with Mike Williams was anything but professional. If it had been canceled due to weather I could have understood the issue much better. You can't
change the weather.

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: klbj2007] #13286671 09/19/19 06:41 PM
S
South Florida transplant Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I'm still going. I'll post results. I can't say I wasn't warned if turns out bad, but I am looking forward to a good time.

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: klbj2007] #13286680 09/19/19 06:47 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
www.laruesguideservice.com
This is who I recommend..

Last edited by V-Bottom; 09/19/19 07:01 PM.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Capt. Mike Williams Guide Service in Galveston [Re: South Florida transplant] #13286710 09/19/19 07:15 PM
klbj2007 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by South Florida transplant
I'm still going. I'll post results. I can't say I wasn't warned if turns out bad, but I am looking forward to a good time.

Good luck....Hope your trip ends up better than mine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide